Find
Notify
Tools

To close to the house.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
Coyotes woke me at 12:45 AM July 5th, sounded like just behind my pole barn. Walked out there with a 12ga and # 4 buck but still saw nothing but they presised with there party till I sent 2 loads thru the woods.

Again they woke me at 4:15 AM July 7th in about the same area but stopped when I turned the flood lights on. then 4:05 AM July 9th sounded as if they were traveling along the creek and stopped they yapping when the flood lights went on.

Later in the day I called my friend Eric to see if he wanted to come Saturday to see if we could take out a few since several had sounded like pups. Told me couldn't make it Saturday but could be here at day break Sunday.

True to his word he arrived at 5:15 AM all ready to head out in his mosquito jacket since he knows my place with the creek and woods mosquito breeding grounds.

We discuss how we want to set up, Wind was no problem since none was regusetering on my weather station. Decided we would use two callers and set about 75 yards apart, him up the ridge above the creek in the main woods. Me to the south close to the horse pasture fence where I could see the creek just below Erics stand.

Decided Eric would start the ball with a fawn in distress call then switch after about 15 minutes to the favorite distressed piglet sound. Once he started his piglet sound I would kick mine in and play the same sound.

I should have had a 12 ga with # 4 buck as 5 minutes into the fawn sound started I had two coyote nearly run me over going to Erics caller at full tilt.

Isn't long and I hear a shot, then a lone coyote comes my way stopping to look back as Eric started the hurt pup sounds. The Swift fires and I have a coyote down. Just as the shot sound dies Eric starts the Piglet sound.
So I turn mine on and let it run the 2 minutes till the silent spot.
I catch a quick glimps of a slinking coyote along the creek, going in the direction of the distressed piglet. It disappears from my view, then I hear Eric shoot again.

Wait a full hour from the start and Eric comes walking down the back fence line to the horse pasture fence sees me and smiles and shows me 2 fingers.

Left the coyotes for me to pick up with the tractor and loader. Said he had a adult female and a juvenile male the first kill. We gather my gear and walk to my coyote a female most likely this years pup full size but you could see by the teeth and foot pads young. Good summer fur on all of them.

We walk back to the house and set down with Coffee for Eric and Tea for me and talk.
We have not seen each other face to face since the last week of February.

Said he and Mike have been discussing a group picnic at Mike's place soon.

After the coffee was finished Erice said time to head back home is 7:30 AM and he knows my wife will be awake soon.

Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing !!

tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Always a good read

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot a lot of coyotes out my kitchen window when I ranched on the Mexican border out of Marathon Texas bordering the Big Bend Nat;l park..They like cat meat and chewed my dogs up from time to time but the dogs dragged up a dead coyote from time to time, same with Javalinas….The dogs loved a good fight.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
Coyotes woke me at 12:45 AM July 5th, sounded like just behind my pole barn. Walked out there with a 12ga and # 4 buck but still saw nothing but they presised with there party till I sent 2 loads thru the woods.

Again they woke me at 4:15 AM July 7th in about the same area but stopped when I turned the flood lights on. then 4:05 AM July 9th sounded as if they were traveling along the creek and stopped they yapping when the flood lights went on.

Later in the day I called my friend Eric to see if he wanted to come Saturday to see if we could take out a few since several had sounded like pups. Told me couldn't make it Saturday but could be here at day break Sunday.

True to his word he arrived at 5:15 AM all ready to head out in his mosquito jacket since he knows my place with the creek and woods mosquito breeding grounds.

We discuss how we want to set up, Wind was no problem since none was regusetering on my weather station. Decided we would use two callers and set about 75 yards apart, him up the ridge above the creek in the main woods. Me to the south close to the horse pasture fence where I could see the creek just below Erics stand.

Decided Eric would start the ball with a fawn in distress call then switch after about 15 minutes to the favorite distressed piglet sound. Once he started his piglet sound I would kick mine in and play the same sound.

I should have had a 12 ga with # 4 buck as 5 minutes into the fawn sound started I had two coyote nearly run me over going to Erics caller at full tilt.

Isn't long and I hear a shot, then a lone coyote comes my way stopping to look back as Eric started the hurt pup sounds. The Swift fires and I have a coyote down. Just as the shot sound dies Eric starts the Piglet sound.
So I turn mine on and let it run the 2 minutes till the silent spot.
I catch a quick glimps of a slinking coyote along the creek, going in the direction of the distressed piglet. It disappears from my view, then I hear Eric shoot again.

Wait a full hour from the start and Eric comes walking down the back fence line to the horse pasture fence sees me and smiles and shows me 2 fingers.

Left the coyotes for me to pick up with the tractor and loader. Said he had a adult female and a juvenile male the first kill. We gather my gear and walk to my coyote a female most likely this years pup full size but you could see by the teeth and foot pads young. Good summer fur on all of them.

We walk back to the house and set down with Coffee for Eric and Tea for me and talk.
We have not seen each other face to face since the last week of February.

Said he and Mike have been discussing a group picnic at Mike's place soon.

After the coffee was finished Erice said time to head back home is 7:30 AM and he knows my wife will be awake soon.

Al

What make & model of caller do you use?

DRSS

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I use a first generation Ico Tec GC 350. Nearly every one in our group uses thr GC350 with one GC500 and a GC300.
Sounds are on SD cards 16gbs or less. The 350 holds 24 sounds to a card, can get feee sounds from IcoTec's libary but we have sounds from Varmintal's web site and others. We have also recorded sounds and added them to the SD cards.

Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
I use a first generation Ico Tec GC 350. Nearly every one in our group uses thr GC350 with one GC500 and a GC300.
Sounds are on SD cards 16gbs or less. The 350 holds 24 sounds to a card, can get feee sounds from IcoTec's libary but we have sounds from Varmintal's web site and others. We have also recorded sounds and added them to the SD cards.

Al

Thanks just what I was looking for tu2

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great read, as always! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best secret to calling coyotes is hunt where they have not been called, they get call wise in a hurry, fortunatly in Idaho you just have to drive another 25 to 50 miles to find the stupid coyotes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You're right, they are smart. It's rare to fool them twice with the same trick.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote