Find
Notify
Tools

ground squirrels in Oregon
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Anyone know of any outfitters for ground squirrels in the eastern Oregon desert areas? Looking for a smaller outfit that can point me in the right direction for land access without being part of a large crowd/mass shoot.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1:
Anyone know of any outfitters for ground squirrels in the eastern Oregon desert areas? Looking for a smaller outfit that can point me in the right direction for land access without being part of a large crowd/mass shoot.

If I understand you correctly — since most outfitters make their livelihood by guiding clients, I'm not sure you're going to find one who would be willing to offer you what I think you might want: A place to hunt in perpetuity without using their services on fields they may wish to take their paying clients.

But if you're okay with paying an outfitter for first-rate ground squirrel shooting, with a party not greater than 4 shooters, you could try Roe Outfitters in Klamath Falls.

We used them last year, and had the time of our lives (most fun you can have with your cloths on). And we're going again this year. (We were the only two in our party last year.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
you don't need an outfitter.... there are plenty of places that will let you shoot just for the asking...

I shoot at multiple places between Klamath Falls and Lakeview...each one I gained access by just asking...the locals want them gone...

get their phone number and don't be a slob, pick up after yourself etc...each time I desire to go over I just pick up the phone and give them a call, letting them know who I am, where I am coming from, and let them know that I have shot on their property before....

city folks and first timers are the ones that sucker for the 'outfitter route'....

one property I shoot has 4700 acres.... the owner told me the only time he has ever gotten money to let people shoot, was when 4 guys from San Francisco pulled up in a Suburban and offered him $1000 to let 4 guys shoot for 4 days...

he said he'd have been an idiot to turn down a fast grand, but if they hadn't offered the money, he'd have let them shoot for free...

Took the wife up to Portland for a concert and a weekend get away....

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Focus on Burns, Paisley and Christmas Valley. I never understood why some people have such a hard time knocking on doors to ask for permission to hunt, perhaps the fear of rejection?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, you can get a good idea of who would be willing to allow you to hunt their land without banging on a lot of doors.

If you have the time (and banging on doors takes time too), you could hang out at the local feed store and ask customers if they have a GS problem and if so, would they be willing to allow you to hunt their property.

If you are unable or unwilling to take the time to do that (or bang on doors), then a guide with a shooting field known to be productive is a viable option.

Should have said that in my original post. Sorry now . . . very sorry . . . that I did not.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the limited amount of time available makes it more difficult to spend time searching for a place to hunt. A one or two day drive from So Cal and a 1 or 2 day drive back will limit a week's vacation time. I think the idea of asking at a feed or sporting goods store makes sense. but sometimes you want to leave home knowing you'll have a place to shoot.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigslist under farm and garden.
Be sure to mentioned that you will do it for free.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kalifornia license plate owner's might not fare well unless you can prove that you are Republican, aged Republican bumper sticker or even a NRA card.

Aren't there any squirrels in northern Kalifornia or Nevada????????

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
We hunted with Tim Titus last year and had a great shoot. I burned through 1400+ rounds in 2 days. We are going back again this year. Give him a call.
http://www.no-off-season.com/guided-hunts.html

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bisonhunter1,

how did it go?

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Norseman,

Went in late April after a week of fishing with brothers at Shasta Lake. Hooked up with Tim Titus and shot outside of Burns, OR for 3 days. Was a great time and burned thru approx. 1300 rounds of ammo from .22LR, .17HMR, .204 Ruger and .223 Rem. Even got to shoot on one alphalfa pivot alone on one day and was that fun. Headed off to my annual PD shoot in Montana in July which is also fun, even if not the same high volume of shots.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Here ya go!

Www.sagerathunts.com

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote