Find
Notify
Tools

Gopher Shoot Aug 9&10 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
A little late in the year to get out for a shoot, but a buddy of mine including his 13 yo son, and father in law and my girlfriend (as a spotter) & I got out for about 4 hours both Saturday and Sunday.

The pasture we were in was occupied by a dozen or so horses, so the long range rigs were left @ home unfortunately Frowner The population of gophers was tremendous though!!!!

I took my Rem700 22-250 loaded with 50 gr Blitzkings over 39gr H380 and vaporized a couple dozen gophers from about 75-225 yards respectively!

I also brought my Ruger 10-22 and laid waste to probably a couple hundred in the two days combined!! Some confirmed kills out to about 110-115 yards!!

My buddy had his Savage .17 HMR and dusted quite a few out to about 150-175 yards including a double @ around 45 yards followed by another double by his son @ about the same distance. Zaine was pumped up after that, so I let him have at it with my 22-250 and he went 5 for 5 on gophers ranging from about 75-125 yards...to say he loved it is the understatement of the year!

Don, my buddies father in law is an old soul and only trusted his handy Cooey. His shots were a little closer with open sights, but he did connect on a couple bigger gophers @ around 75-80 yards. He was our close up guy for the weekend and enjoyed every minute of it as well. He especially liked watching the gophers that Zaine and I sent airborne with the 22-250!!

I didn't manage many pics but they can be made available for those who would like to at least see what my guns look like. Only a couple pics of carnage, but they're on buddies phone so I don't have instant access, but can get them if anyone wants.

In all it was a great weekend spent with great people doing one of the activities we all love so much to do!!

Brad

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you all enjoyed it.
Like we keep reading here.
"it didn't happen without pictures".
Please share a few.
Thanks, it's never out of season or too late unless they're down the holes for good. Whenever they're out, it's shooting time. Same goes for coyotes if you want to help the ranchers.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 10/22 with jaquaranda laminate

My REM700 22-250 with laminate Boyd's thumbhole stock

I forgot that my buddy also brought his 20g H&R singleshot

it accounted for a few close gophers as well as a few black birds throughout the day!

Here is Zaine waiting for his next target to appear

And Don in his favoured spot on the side of a hill with hundreds of gophers running out in front for him to blast away at!

Enjoy!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ya go, much much better!
Thanks.

Sure looks to me like Don's shooting hay bales!!
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, sounds like you had fun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
There ya go, much much better!
Thanks.

Sure looks to me like Don's shooting hay bales!!
George

That may explain why he didn't get very many gophers Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you tell him that yet?
ha!

Take care,
G

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to give him the gears the next time we visit!!

He's in the market to upgrade the old Cooey to a 10/22...I almost bought him one yesterday, but figured I needed a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 hornet more than he needed the 10/22!!