One of Us
posted
got a big babboon in the field today shot him with 223 at 250m

Henry Griffiths Safaris

Posts: 37 | Location: South africa | Registered: 19 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn...

You should set a deal up to just hunt these animals. Show him with mouth open next time, they pack and incredible mouthful of teeth.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this one was a very old male, he had almost no teeth left, we do offer cull hunting for varmants you just pay the dayfee hunting mostly in farmland where they are a problem

Henry Griffiths Safaris

Posts: 37 | Location: South africa | Registered: 19 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy cow - that one looks to be ancient

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in passing, because this brings back memories . . .

Male baboons have very large . . . VERY large . . . upper canine teeth, and lower canine teeth that are about ½ the size of the uppers. Those are the "fangs" of dogs and cats.

But what's unique about the Old World Monkeys (including baboons) is the unique structure of their upper canines: They are more or less triangular on cross-section, with the rear edge honed sharp by the lower jaw's (sectorial, first-premolar) teeth.

Whereas a carnivore's canine teeth are optimized to grasp and hold prey to kill it, an OWM's canine teeth are optimized to inflict maximum injury on a rival OWM by slashing. (OWM's are adapted for intra-specific aggression, for dominance interactions [mainly for mating], while the canines of carnivores are optimized for killing prey.)

You haven't lived until you've been trapped by a troop of semi-wild OWMs . . . Trust me, I know.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love hunting baboons. Did a dedicated 10 day baboon hunt in 1992 in RSA. So far, it was my most challenging hunt over all other hunts, including some dangerous game.

Whenever on an African hunt, if the baboons are around, I will stop all other pursuits to try to whack a few, much to the consternation of my PH.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Good shooting. I think I enjoy shooting baboons more than coyotes.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I whacked a baboon in the head once, using a 375. It was enough gun.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I am sure most baboons are shot with rifles while in the pursuit of other game. If someone was on a strict cull hunt for baboons. What is the ideal caliber, bullet/grain combination.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baboons are wickedly smart creatures, they can count and know when five hunters hunters walking in a mielie field become three, or when three hunters on a bakie become two!

My favorite baboon rifle is a T3 actioned, shilen barrelled affair - chambered in 6.5 Creedmore.

I like this combination because it allows me to reach out and touch them beyond 500 yards!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
When I was back in Johannesburg, I was a member of the Bushveld Conservation Bureau - a group of guys who managed to persuade farmers and landowners that they (the BCB) would do them (the farmers) a favour and come out and shoot varmints and such to protect crops and stock.

I remember many fine days of shooting rock pigeons off the sunflower, sniping ground squirrels, failing to shoot bush pigs and getting the occasional warthog.

We also hunted vervets and baboons. Baboons were the most difficult, between their intelligence and their eyesight, they had all the advantages. Ghillie suits were really useful, as were all the abilities snipers are trained in.

They may well know when 5 people passing through a mielie field become 3, but I can assure you that they don't know when 8 become 7. Wink

A 243 was the most popular calibre for them, due to the ability to reach out.

There are old stories of farmers dressing up in the wife's dress to encourage the bobbies into range, because of their lack of fear of females. (I suspect that the farmer was getting his crossdressing tendencies out of the way rotflmo )

There are old stories of farmers trapping a baboon, whitewashing him and setting him free to rejoin his troop, whereupon the troop see this white thing rushing at them and take off over the mountain, followed by this apparition frantically trying to rejoin his friends. I do not believe these stories. I believe that a couple of the big ones would have ambushed the follower and taken him out - at the very least.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a boy I was sent out on a friends farm in Zim to chase the baboons out of the mealie fields and was lent an old BRNO 22rf with open sights - told to shoot them right and it was more than enough gun, as it was a waste to use 303 ammo on baboons. I saw them, but never got close enough for a shot - probably my stalking skills were not (deliberately) good enough!

Posts: 976 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baboons are the smartest of varmints, almost uncanny...Last time I hunted them we were in a trench dug by the PHs help and close to a melon dump..we hid until we could hear them yapping real good and then jumped up and went to shooting..Did that about a dozen times over a couple of days and then one old male charged us and got to the trench and fell in it dead and we gave him the trench..I told the PH "you didn't tell me why you had that shotgun in the trench to go with our rifles..He said his usual "yeahboy"

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree Ray,
Did a dedicated 10 day baboon hunt in RSA back in 1992. To date, it has been my most challenging hunt, ever.

They are smart, very smart. Smarter than some of my former employees. You can't bust the baboons one day and expect to do the same the next day. They remember.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several baboons with an arrow. They are very smart, have great vision and are not your run of the mill varmint. These are very dangerous and destructive animals.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
Just in passing, because this brings back memories . . .

Male baboons have very large . . . VERY large . . . upper canine teeth, and lower canine teeth that are about ½ the size of the uppers. Those are the "fangs" of dogs and cats.

But what's unique about the Old World Monkeys (including baboons) is the unique structure of their upper canines: They are more or less triangular on cross-section, with the rear edge honed sharp by the lower jaw's (sectorial, first-premolar) teeth.

Whereas a carnivore's canine teeth are optimized to grasp and hold prey to kill it, an OWM's canine teeth are optimized to inflict maximum injury on a rival OWM by slashing. (OWM's are adapted for intra-specific aggression, for dominance interactions [mainly for mating], while the canines of carnivores are optimized for killing prey.)

You haven't lived until you've been trapped by a troop of semi-wild OWMs . . . Trust me, I know.

Please share your story of being trapped by the semi-wild OWMs.It sounds exciting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Moore:
I have shot several baboons with an arrow. They are very smart, have great vision and are not your run of the mill varmint. These are very dangerous and destructive animals.

Matt

Might be varmints, but I'd feel like I was shooting one of my ancestors. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot several baboons in Zim on my hunt there. They were considered varmints, and the land owner/ white hunter wanted to thin them out.

One evening just before dark, we walked up a dry river bed to a grove of big trees. There was a troop of baboons climbing up these trees to spend the night. The guide asked me if I saw one on a limb. I said, "yes", and he said, "Take him".

When I shot, pandemonium broke out, and the baboons started for the ground. However, it was already dark on the ground, and they turned around and went back up the trees. Every time one came into view, we would shoot. The next day we found several baboons dead on the ground under those trees. I don't remember exactly how many we killed that evening, but it seems that we found around 10-14 dead baboons there.

I shot several other baboons on that hunt. They were fun to shoot.

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be me..

I shot a big ole Dog Male Baboon.. Drilled him straight through the chest. He stood straight up left hand in the air, right hand clutching his chest. Spun a perfect 360 turn and fell over dead just like in the old B rated cowboy movies.. My PH and trackers laughed their asses off.. Said it was the funniest thing he ever saw.. When I looked down on him I just felt like shit.. Never shot another nor have the desire..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Baboons are smart, a lot smarter than coyotes or jackal,I have hunted all 3. One year I was back in South Africa on a farm, there was a koppie (hill) about 100 yards behind the house, and the baboons were making noise. The farmer had some of these thunderflashes you shoot out of a 12 gauge, and we let 3 of them rip towards the koppie. Those baboons went totally apechit..

Posts: 2 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 16 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,

yours, not mine... rotflmo

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geoff:
I love hunting baboons. Did a dedicated 10 day baboon hunt in 1992 in RSA. So far, it was my most challenging hunt over all other hunts, including some dangerous game.

Whenever on an African hunt, if the baboons are around, I will stop all other pursuits to try to whack a few, much to the consternation of my PH.

Geoff

Likewise Big Grin tu2

Shooting them out of trees with a 30/338 calibre magnum is spectacular!

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun!

I'm afraid I am also part of the group that would want to put a pause on a DG hunt to pop some out of a tree Smiler

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a male baboon grab a good size dog in his teeth and grab its feet and pull it through his teeth and damn near ripped that poor old dog in half..I shot the damn baboon..The can also be very dangerous to the hunter at times..

Phillip Price a So.African PH had a hunter of baboons who would use a helicopter to drop him off in a shallow indention on top of a mountain Baboon home, He had a machine gun and a shotgun..He would lay in wait then jump up and shoot both guns empty..He had some damn close calls apparently and near death experience in that the whole bunch of baboons wanted a piece of him, after the second time or thereabouts he called in his helicopter to get him off the mountain and gave up his baboon hunting..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to hunt baboons, toss a dead one into the truck and whatch the boy fall all over themselves getting out of the truck, Some tribes belives when you die you become a baboon and you don't want to make contact of any kind with that spirit. I think they are Shona but wouldn't swear to it..They take it good naturedly and laught but still don't want it to touch them I guess...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Just think how much fun it would be to rig up a large IED under a pile of melons or other suitable bait..

jumping

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
David Tubb has a DVD out on Baboons, it is out of production but he is supposed to be doing another one.

You can also download his baboon long range videos on his youtube site.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africas ultimate varmint: Mau Mau or so Ive been told.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
That looks a lot like Hillary Clinton!

No---Rosie O'Donnel!

No---Nancy Pilosi!

Hip

Posts: 1783 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have shot quite a few. Smart, cunning, mean, and at times, dangerous critters. Ray: tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are you insulting the baboons, Nothing on earth looks like Nancy Polosi! she makes a male baboon look like a movie star.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Why are you insulting the baboons, Nothing on earth looks like Nancy Pilosi! she makes a male baboon look like a movie star.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
then Africa has the Wart Hog, I love to hunt Wart Hogs! and they eat good, Baboons taste like spotted owl! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120