THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Need some details/pics on Weaver Grand Slam scopes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some details/pics on Weaver Grand Slam scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
For a variety of reasons, I'm kicking around the notion of picking up a 4.5-14x40mm model. Once upon a time, I had a 6.5-20, but sold it, and now I can't visualize the turrets in my mind, and can't find any close-up pictures of the turrets anywhere. If someone who does have one could post a pic, I'd *really* appreciate it. Otherwise, a good detailed description about them (like can you slip them in order to 'zero' them for a given range) would be much appreciated.

TIA,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to get one the price is really good right now. I bought mine last week from Bear Basin for $299.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Milanuk, I have two 3.5-10x50 Grand slams. The turrets look like miniature target turrets with the graduations on the sides so that you can see them without moving the rifle. They also have click stops, possibly Microtrac internals. The owner's manual doesn't show any way to set zero like on a target scope. After looking at it, I don't believe you can set zero. Dr. Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Doc,

from what i've gathered on another forum today (someone posted pics), the graduations you are looking at are not what I'm looking for, only half. The corresponding part to make the whole thing work the way a 'target' turret does is some sort of visible scale on the _stationary_ part of the turret body, in addition to the part that moves (the part you are looking at). These scales allow you to not only see that 'Ok. I'm 13 clicks 'up' from my zero point', but to also see that you are 2 full revolutions plus 13 clicks up from your zero point. Almost critical for those of us who shoot things like a .308 where going from 200 yds to 600 or more is going to require _at least_ a full revolution of the turret, usually. Handy for those of us who some times lose track of which revolution we are on [Wink]

FWIW, someone today told me that how you 'zero' the dial on these is to zero the scope to where you want it, and then loosen the two brass screws on top, slip the dial to '0', and then tighten them back down. Dunno if it works, YMMV.

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Milanuk, I hear what your are saying. I pulled the terret covers on a couple of Leupold target scopes to compare. No, the Grand Slam does not have those graduations.

p.s. thanks for the info. on the brass screws. I always wondered if those were for setting zero, but I didn't want to inadvertently mess it up.

[ 06-12-2002, 00:15: Message edited by: DOCTOR LOU ]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote