New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog and coyote loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been to a friends ranch and he is over run with hogs. I made a dent with the 7mm-08. I got one 300+ lb Russian but most are just pigs from 20-150 lbs. The average was about 2 shots/ pigs at the time.
The point is trying to kill as many as possible. Had a buddy's A2 but open sights at 70 does not work too well. Wink

Looking to build an A3 frame with a good scope and see just how many I can get from a group.

Also looking for a feeder going off sound for my Fox pro. These hogs go running at 7 and 5 so why not during the day.

Also has lots of coyotes to hunt too.

Thinking about A3 frame in the 5.56 and was wondering what ammo works well on assorted size pigs and coyotes?

I do not eat them so what is a good round that will put them down.

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot many hogs, Bobcats and coyotes with every gun I own probably..Hogs are a target of opertunity on the ranch I hunt near Leander during deer season or on my sister ranch..I think my 222 L-46 Sako clip gun and my L-461 6x45 custom Sako work as well as anything else, those animals are not hard to kill with a properly placed bullet..My 250-3000, 257 Ackley are great, but I also hunt them for fun with my 25-35 and 30-30 with irons out of a stand where shots are all under a 100 yards..Ive even spent a day or two plinking them behind the ear with a scoped 22 L.R. Also culled does with same guns..

I eat the young pigs from time to time. those young pigs eating corn tossed out of the feeder are excellent pork. My favorite 22 bullet is the Hornady 60 gr. HP or SP, Ive shot many deer, hogs and coyotes with that bullet at about 2800 to 3000 FPS

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well for general purpose shooting of hogs with an AR the Winchester 64 gr. Power Point works as well as any and even better on Coyotes. Or you could use the Federal M193 and make CNS hits on the hogs or a good 55 grain factory load for Coyotes.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can get a creedmore in those black guns now, correct??, if so that should be about as good as it gets..Not my personal choice, but they are accurate and sure get the job done..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
5.56 ammmo and hogs/‘yotes? Heaviest Power Point that will stabilize in your gat. Hornady Interlocks are another inexpensive option that still has a somewhat substantial jacket. Avoid thin jacketed “varmit” bullets if hogs are on the menu just to be safe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
300 Blackout with a suppressor.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good black rifle recipe is 6.8 spc, 95 grain Barnes TTSX, A2200 powder. Works well on hogs, deer and coyotes.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
You could record the sound of the feeder going off. Up load the sound to a computer and put it on a SD card.

Well not sure about a Fox Pro but an Ico Tec we do it all th time.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTx:
I have been to a friends ranch and he is over run with hogs. I made a dent with the 7mm-08. I got one 300+ lb Russian but most are just pigs from 20-150 lbs. The average was about 2 shots/ pigs at the time.
The point is trying to kill as many as possible. Had a buddy's A2 but open sights at 70 does not work too well. Wink

Looking to build an A3 frame with a good scope and see just how many I can get from a group.

Also looking for a feeder going off sound for my Fox pro. These hogs go running at 7 and 5 so why not during the day.

Thinking about A3 frame in the 5.56 and was wondering what ammo works well on assorted size pigs and coyotes?

My personal preference would be for something a little bigger like a 6mm BR. I am really intrigued by the new 6mm ARC. It has plenty of punch, a very long arm, and is still travelling super-sonic at 1000 yards. I'm going to have one as soon as ammo or brass becomes a little more availavle.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
300 Blackout with a suppressor.

Nice choice but not enough case capacity to give it a very long arm~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a nice, heavy 8 point with my suppressed .300 Whisper this year at 243 yds. Dropped him. I've killed deer out to 275 with it. May not be long for the new generation of rifle guys, but looks good to me.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
quote:
Originally posted by JimTx:
Have you seen any ammo or components since your post in April 2022~? I haven't, and I go to every local show and several stores regularly.

My personal preference would be for something a little bigger like a 6mm BR. I am really intrigued by the new 6mm ARC. It has plenty of punch, a very long arm, and is still travelling super-sonic at 1000 yards. I'm going to have one as soon as ammo or brass becomes a little more availavle.