THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Need a portable shooting bench, Midway?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a portable shooting bench, Midway?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Midway has their Stable Table Portable Shooting Bench on sale.
A PD. hunting buddy has one but IMHO the bench is a little bit flimsy. Its useable but just a little more movement than I would desire.
When Varmint Hunter Magazine was still in existence there was one advertised in there that I tried out at a gun shop in Raton,NM that was very stable. More money, but stable.
I would like to find one of these better benches. Does anyone remember where I could get one?

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
There's one that uses pipe flanges welded at an angle and this folding model

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 6351 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this one; I have one and works great:

http://www.knotholedesigns.com/

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try www.ruggedbuddy.com

I put one together this spring, but you can buy them ready to go.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and regularly used one of these for the last 6 - 7 years. Solid American construction and the proprietor is a gentleman to deal with. Check it out.

Royal Stukey Shooting Benches, Powell Wyoming, Shooters Bench ...
www.shootingbenches.com/
Stukeys Sturdy Shooting Bench is a very stable, heavy duty, portable shooting bench, built to stand up to a lifetime of hard use. Effective gun or rifle shooting ...

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stucky's shooting bench is what I use now. I had long ago forgot the name of him. It's a good portable bench, but I'm looking for one that allows 360* of movement without getting up and picking everything up and physically moving it to a new position.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used these in KS for prairie dogs. Outfitter had them Very solid.

www.doashootingbenches.com Pricey but very well built and stable.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, RCG, The DOA shooting bench is the one I was looking for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like this one from Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...%2Bbench%26CQ_st%3Db

Weighs just under 40 pounds, folds flat for storage, easy to set up or take down in half a minute.

Stable enough I feel comfortable using it when accuracy testing or sighting in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want one that rotates 360* so I don't have to get up to reposition my bench all the time.

one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
Cabelas had this one for $99.99 & free shipping with the code 96flat. I have 2 & like them & they do swivel Big Game swivel action shooting bench.
Item: IK-229323

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Caldwell benches that Midway had on sale. Not quite as sturdy as the DOA bench but much less expensive and much easier to move and set-up. It works out very well out to 300 yds. or so. Longer range shooting off of this bench will require a bit of learning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a bench made by "Big Game Tree stands" for five years or so with complete satisfaction. Two friends I shoot with have bought them also and love them.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. Rivard:
I have used a bench made by "Big Game Tree stands" for five years or so with complete satisfaction. Two friends I shoot with have bought them also and love them.

I have one also and really like it. Had a Basspro gift card and it was on sale so I got it for $50. I added a 4" shelf to the front large enough for a shooting bag so I don't have to use the included gooseneck thingy. Also added a 4" elbow rest to the right rear. I used a piece of 1x4 and bolts.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
build your own.....1/2 sheet 3/4" plywood....

2 layers...24" wide x 38" long...

1.25" threaded black pipe sleeves....

welded to a 4x4" 1/4" plate..

3 pcs 1.25" pipe threaded 31" long

PVC caps on bottom....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armed_in_utah:

PVC caps on bottom....

he wants it to swivel/rotate....

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay.

Rotates, the cheap and simple way.

Cut a piece of 1/2" good on one side plywood in the shape of an ironing board. About 14" at the front, and 10" +/- at the back.

Your bench top is shaped like a rectangle with a cutout on the rear, on the left side. Full width end to the front.

A set of 1/2" casters are bolted to the bottom front of the ironing board. That lets the ironing board roll across the bench top to cover about 90-degrees, or a bit more. At the back of the ironing board, where your elbow rests, drill a 1/2" hole thru the rear center of the ironing board and the bench top.

Buy a 1/2" x3" or so bolt and a wing nut. Set the ironing board on top of the bench, and push the bolt thru the two holes. Snug the wing nut on the bottom. The front of the ironing board is free to roll across the bench top, but the bolt at the rear keeps it (and your gear) from falling off one side or the other.

Put your front and rear rests on the ironing board, and set your rifle, and ammo container on the ironing board. Position the spotting scope to suit.

Loosen the wing nut about 1/2 turn and roll the ironing board so it and your rifle are pointed in the direction you wish to shoot. Snug the wing nut, and get to shooting...

www.ruggedbuddy.com is a great portable bench, about 35-40 pounds with the ironing board top in place. You can make it for about $150 dollars, plus paint or stain.

you're welcome,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://nortonsafe.search.ask....01&gct=kwd&qsrc=2869

This should get you there.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
I bought one of the Caldwell benches that Midway had on sale. Not quite as sturdy as the DOA bench but much less expensive and much easier to move and set-up. It works out very well out to 300 yds. or so. Longer range shooting off of this bench will require a bit of learning.

I have been shooting off the Caldwell stable table for a couple years, they are pretty handy and easy to adjust. I routinely shoot out to about 300 or so with Dog Gone Good bags.

for the money they get my vote

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armed_in_utah:

PVC caps on bottom....
The one I use, I made. Very similar to this. Rather than two pices of 3/4" plywood for the table I used 1 1/8th" car decking. Used two pices 3/4" in the past but had to glue and screw them together. Rather than a 4x4" plate, I used wood wedges made out of maple and glued and screwed underneath the table. The wedges flair the legs out some, much steadied that way. The legs are 1 1/4 black pipe threaded on each end. One end is screwed into 1 1/4" pipe flanges screwed to the wedges. The other end is threaded and I have 1 1/4" pipe caps on them to rest on the ground. I sit on a 5 gal bucket but you could use any type. of stool.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built my own with a half sheet of 3/4" of plywood and table legs from an old folding table.
It is very sturdy but will not rotate without you having to pick it up and reposition it. It does fold flat and is easy to transport. I cut it to work for both right and left handed shooters.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best one Ive seen and I have one is sold by Buffalo Arms, co. 660 Vermeer Court, Ponderay, Idaho. tel: 208-263-6953 www.BUFFALOARMS.COM
Be sure an get a catalog, they have some great stuff that you wont see anywhere else.

$129.00, has folding legs, heavy maple top, big enough to do anything on, light enough for one man to put in the pickup or back seat of a car...I love mine...Its not one of those flimsy rests that places the shooter directly behind the rifle, it has a cut out just like an official bench rest..long enough for muzzle loader also..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS RAAS (or rass) Platform. It swivels 360 degrees and has adjustments all over.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has pretty good one.

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made my own. Table is 1 1/8 cardecking and legs are 1 1/4" black pipe. Sturdiest table other than heavy range tables I've ever used.

My original table was the hood of my 1960 Ford PU with sand bags!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of these mentioned are pretty nice. Does anyone know of any good ones that adjust for uneven ground. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
Some of these mentioned are pretty nice. Does anyone know of any good ones that adjust for uneven ground. Thanks

I pretty much solved that problem by getting a Harris S-BRM Bipod, and added on an Alpha-Bravo Lock.

The bipod allows you to adjust for cant, but the original-equipment knob is hard to use. The Alpha-Bravo lever is much easier to use and you can use it like a ratchet.

I tighten the cant lock snugly and if I have to make an adjustment I twist the rifle to undo the cant. Sometimes I have to loosen the lock a little to twist it and then retighten it, but the Alpha-Bravo makes retightening the assembly easy.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got the Caldwell Stable Table from Amazon for $176 shipped. It's portable, very adjustable for fit, easy to take apart, legs adjust for uneven ground, pivots 360, seems to be well made and it is pretty steady when my weight is on the seat. I'm pretty satisfied.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Caldwell Stable Table. I made a new base for it so all three legs are adjustable and it sits a little higher than the original. With three adjustable legs it is very easy to level or adjust for height.

Wayne Johnson

Posts: 76 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is 100% adjustable with my custom leverer, that being a irrigation shovel.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote