Find
Notify
Tools

Brunch Coyote
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
Jane and I had been working the horses early this morning, so when the day started to heat up we went back to the house for more coffee and some brunch. I got the bacon done and had just cracked eggs into the skillet when Jane reported movement to the South, close to yesterday's hog carcass (see the Hog Hunting Forum, "Before Breakfast Boar"). Grabbing some handy binos, she hollered, "Two coyotes!".

Leaving her to finish the eggs (hey, I already had the bacon finished, remember?), I grabbed the Sako AI Varmint again and headed outside and stepped down to the pool house. My BBQ firewood stacked atop the wall made a dandy sniper's hide, and about 30 seconds of patience on my part was rewarded by one of the 'yotes reappearing.

I'm sighted 2" high at 100; he's about 150. Hold a tad low as he's facing me; not enough wind to bother with. Crack. Whump. Back inside to eat, then a short drive around for verification.

His fawn-eating days are over, and his last meal was some pretty "high" pork tartar. The little 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip centered his throat, doing unspeakable things to his spine and CNS. Goodnight, Irene.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and good looking coyote hide.

Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Can't beat that! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun and coyote. Those 50 grain ballistic tips puts em down.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this pretty little Sako a .222 or another flavor? It's not another Fireball is it?

Would you say the 50NBT is "fur friendly?" I've read elsewhere that the NBT's got less explosive expansion than other 50s like the Vmax. I've wondered how much additional penetration that solid copper base permits.

Thanks for sharing.

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
JPL,

Sorry, I just now saw this...apologies for the tardy response.

This one is a .223.

So far, that rifle and NBT load has only accounted for one hog and two coyotes. The hog dropped to the shot with a center shoulder hit; no exit. Both coyotes also dropped in their tracks and while I didn't examine them very closely for pelt damage, I didn't see any significant damage to their hides. I don't recall an exit on either (and wouldn't have expected one on this one since he was facing me...can't say about the other one).

Hope that helps?

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice coyote and rifle. A great story too!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a mod 46 clip model Sako in 222..shot lots of coyotes and some deer with it as have my kids, like you mostly targets of opertunity while doing my daily ranching activities, carry it in my picket most of the timek but got a 220 swift last week its my new truck gun, Its a ruger plastic stocked gun so don't have to worry about stock damage like I do with my sako..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sako A-1 Varminter is one heck of a gorgeous rifle. At age 80 I'm selling mine in 6mm PPC with some other guns to thin the herd. I have plenty of brass for the 6 and shoot H-322 powder and a 70 gr Nosler You all know how accurate the 6 PPC is. With a 36X scope, it's "lights out coyote"~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 218 Bee:
JPL,

Sorry, I just now saw this...apologies for the tardy response.
This one is a .223.
So far, that rifle and NBT load has only accounted for one hog and two coyotes. The hog dropped to the shot with a center shoulder hit; no exit. Both coyotes also dropped in their tracks and while I didn't examine them very closely for pelt damage, I didn't see any significant damage to their hides. I don't recall an exit on either (and wouldn't have expected one on this one since he was facing me...can't say about the other one).
Hope that helps?
Mark

Thanks Mark. I've been wondering how well the A-1 Sako in .2223 shoots. I'm thinking about selling my Ruger M77 in .223 ard replacing it with a Sako. I haven't been able to get my Ruger to deliver the accuracy I'm looking for and wondering if the Sako in .223 will come anywhere near the accuracy my 6PPC delivers.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a live oak tree near your firewood and mesquites and oaks in the pasture?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in responding. Been dealing with new calves this past week...

Good eye. Yep, those are live oaks just below the pool house. Out by the house pasture fenceline is another live oak motte. Mesquites and post oaks one the other side of the fence...

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Good shooting at breakfast time! Nice looking varmint rifle and great picture! Thanks for taking the time to post and share.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote