THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmint scope for around $1000
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint scope for around $1000
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have a wide variety of rifle scopes, and I enjoy quite a few products from quite a few companies.

I am kind of torn between a lazer range finding scope like the Burris and a traditional MOA or MIL scope with turrets.

Rifle is a heavy barreled 243.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally mil dots are almost worthless on most varmints unless you use the scope all the time and have all the values memorized. The other issue is not all mil dots are created equal when using scopes from different makers. Windage and elevation dots can be helpful on targets like prairie dogs or anything not moving, but they cloud the issue on a running animal at that unknown or in-between distance. I am a "clicker" for prairie dogs, but use instinctual "Kentucky windage" for coyotes and the likes.
I will cheat on a stand, using the rangefinder to "map" some distances to different objects.
I have a friend using the Eliminator III and really likes the way it works.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was actually speaking to the turrets being MIL or MOA in calibration.

I have been using 1/4 MOA turret scopes on F-Class rifles and hunting rifles for years. Just wondering what other people thought.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a leoupold 4.5x14 x 50 with the 30mm tube that I really like. It was right at your price a couple of three yeas ago when I bought it.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
check out the new nightforce right at $1000

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy barrel 243 sounds like a dedicated varmint rifle. I would recommend the Leupold VX3 6 1/2-20 with the varmint hunter reticle. The reticle looks complicated but I have used it extensively on several varmint rifles (204, 223, 22-250) and it works very well at varying ranges and cross winds. Like anything, you gotta spend a bit of time figuring out exactly how it relates to your loads.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have added that the friend with the Elim. III, has already killed over 100 coyotes so far this year. In the past he has always been a 6.5x20 Leupold fan.
As too the mil or moa clicks, I would purchase the style you use the most because of not having to "think" about which scope to determine how many clicks. In the field things are more variable than a match at known ranges and the last thing you want to have happen is educating the coyote instead of eliminating.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris just came out with some 34mm sniper type scopes to compete with the 34mm Leupold, Schmidt Bender and Zeiss.

I want to handle one Polish style before I see if they are worth dropping $1000 on. By far the cheapest big 34mm quality scope. Hunting magazines have had positive reviews.

I have yet to handle the Eliminator 3, but your right they have great reviews too.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't discount a good reticle in mils or moa. If you have a rangefinder and app on your phone, or a kestrel, then you can be extremely accurate holding off.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm still using 4x12 Leupold variX11s!! oh well, but hell missing a varmint means zilch to me. I won't use high dollar scopes, rather buy a damn nice rifle for that kind of money. A scope is nothing more than an X to point IMO..I like high dollar binocs and spotting scopes. Just another approach to the game.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too, am a fan of Leupolds Varmint hunters reticle. It is busy at first, but once I got used to it, wow. It really makes hits out to 400+ on p-dog sized targets pretty easy, wind or no wind. I only use it on one rifle, but after using it a while it becomes second nature and it becomes a great sub-conscious range finder. Maybe the best scope money I ever spent.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
After using a few different types I have to say I'm not a big fan of most scopes with integral laser range finders. Their sensitivity to returns isn't that great at the distances I most want them for help. At the distances they do work well, you don't really need a range finder.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My heavy barreled 234 wears a 4X16X42 Nikon Monarch with quarter MOA turrets, It has Mil-Dot reticle. I love it!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You ain't wrong Jigger! on either count.

I also might add that high dollar scope sights bring to mind that the only difference in men and boys is the price of mens toys and I don't know where that more appropriate than when it comes to foreign scopes..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What varmints will you be going after with this rig? If mainly coyotes than a 4.5 x 14 will allow you to handle called in dogs to those that hang up way out there. If shooting up a prairie dog town is going to be on the menu than a little more x's like a 6.5 x 20 would be advantageous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20 with the Varmint reticle and target knobs sitting here gathering dust. I mounted it in Sako Optilock rings then took it off. It was too big for my rifle. I would sell it for $650 shipped. No mark on it. I have all the paperwork + lens covers although the box has a flap missing.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Damn, I'm still using 4x12 Leupold variX11s!! oh well, but hell missing a varmint means zilch to me. I won't use high dollar scopes, rather buy a damn nice rifle for that kind of money. A scope is nothing more than an X to point IMO..I like high dollar binocs and spotting scopes. Just another approach to the game.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I have a 3 x 9 Lupy on my MP15. 2" groups at 150 yds keeps the dogs under control.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Leupold 6.5 x 20's and a Zeiss 6.5 x 20..If I was looking for another high powered scope, I think i would look at the Zeiss first and the Nightforce second.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of varmints up close and some at extended ranges..My choice has always been a 3x9 Leupold..Its all the scope I have ever needed, but missing a rock chuck at 400 or 500 yards isn't a castastrophy with me.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned the new kid on the block. Vortex makes a whole line of scopes in the price range you are looking for. You can get three or four different reticles in either mils or moa. First focal plane or the usual second. You're on your own for that last choice though, I have one back ordered and I am still questioning my decision.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
No one has mentioned the new kid on the block. Vortex makes a whole line of scopes in the price range you are looking for. You can get three or four different reticles in either mils or moa. First focal plane or the usual second. You're on your own for that last choice though, I have one back ordered and I am still questioning my decision.

Yeah . . . my shooting buddy has a Vortex on one of his rifles. I ordered one for my new Savage Mod. 12 .243 Win Long Range Precision rifle, but after waiting several weeks, I gave up on it, cancelled the order and went with a Nightforce.

But if you can get one, a Vortex is really good, IMO.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vortex is very good if you skip their bottom line stuff.
go up to the 1-K dollar amount and you have one of the best scopes out there.
their 400.00 scopes are top of the line stuff and super clear.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 6.5-20x50 VX3i 30mm. 3 different reticles available. All priced a shade under $1000 from SWFA.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I have a wide variety of rifle scopes, and I enjoy quite a few products from quite a few companies.

I am kind of torn between a lazer range finding scope like the Burris and a traditional MOA or MIL scope with turrets.

Rifle is a heavy barreled 243.

Just notciced, your OP is close to two days older than dirt. Did you ever settle on/buy a scope?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple iterations of scopes since I posted this on my varmint and tactical rifles.

These are the reasons they got returned.

1. No adjustable objective for paralax. My old F-class scopes had it, and I never thought about it until after was laying on the ground and cursing why I was able to see the mirrors inside the scope.

2. Turrets did not adjust cleanly and true.

So far I have bought and sent back 4 Nikon Pro Staff 7s (bought them in the same lot (30mm 2-12 & 4-16)), a 30mm Leupold and a Burris Fullfiled 30mm Tactical.

A friend of mine in Australia is a full time gunsmith. I am finally beleiving what he has been saying for years $700 is the begginning of what you should spend. No real limit on what you should top out at.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

The Vortex Razor HD is the best tacticle scope out there - period! It may be out of the OP's price range tho'

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pm sent BWW

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been messing with the Vortex, and while it is very nice it is not a Nightforce. Once you got Nightforce, you never go back.

quote:
Originally posted by Bvekenya:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

The Vortex Razor HD is the best tacticle scope out there - period! It may be out of the OP's price range tho'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been messing with the Vortex, and while it is very nice it is not a Nightforce. Once you got Nightforce, you never go back.

I would have been perfectly satisfied with a good Vortex and I was really skeptical about spending $1K MORE on a Nightforce. But now that I've done it . . . my guilt has dissipated. In fact, when he saw my scope, my shooting buddy swapped his (very, very nice) Vortex off his Savage 12 LRP (.243 Win) for a Nightforce. (I have a Nightforce NXS with 30mm tube, 5.5-22x 50mm scope. It too is on a Savage 12 LRP .243 Win. I'll only live once.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not messed with a Steiner, Kahles or Hendsolt 5-25x56 type scope. I have messed with the Schmidt Bender, but the price point really forces you to question whether or not you really want to spend that much. $5000 is a lot of money for me to spend on anything.

For around $1400 with my military discount a NSX is just about perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For around $1400 with my military discount a NSX is just about perfect.

Say, WHAT? I'm former military . . . what's the story about a discount???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is for retired and active duty. Some federal agencies also qualify.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is for retired and active duty. Some federal agencies also qualify.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Check out the leupold Mark 4. 4.5x14x50 with the TS-32x1 reticle, I have converted all,of my hand cannons to this scope, moa reticle & moa turrets.along with my rangefinder, kestrel, and the strelok pro ballistic app I can dial in at ranges out to 800 plus yds. Excellent system and in you price range.

Another excellent leupold is the Mark 6 3x18 with the Horus 59 reticle, more $$$$ but extremely accurate turret adjusting.

Nmhunter

Posts: 34 | Location: Goodyear AZ | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you guys must have the dumbest coyotes in the world. We have enough coyotes that a hand call is all that's needed and not even that. We can drive around and get shots at 10 to 30 coyotes in a days hunt, all running at from 50 to maybe 400 yards..For a running coyote you better not be shooting more than 12 powder and 4x is better even at long range as you need that field of view for a big lead...If you call them at night or even during the day your shots will be about 50 yards most and coming in pretty hard. on occasion you get a 100 yard shot at night if you want to take it. During the day 100 to 400 yards is average, you can't get a shot beyond that as a rule as the sage is high and lots of hills..Don't overcall a good area or the coyotes get it figured out in a hurry. A good reason to drive many miles while hunting during the day..You have an area twice the size of Vermont or Maine.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you what, I'll fly to Twin Falls and we'll go shoot 30 coyotes in a day.

Then we will drive to your hunting area (twice the size of Maine: or 70,000 square miles (Idaho is only 80,000 square miles) and see it.

Between you and Crazyhorse, I don't know who is taking more of Micky Rooney's crazy pills.

http://www.bing.com/videos/sea...F479D3A9&FORM=VRDGAR

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I really like coyote hunting.

My calling rifle (.204R) has a 3-9x40 on it. I used to have a .220 Swift that I put a 6.5-20 on but I didn't want to carry my shotgun to each stand.

Probably still a smart idea to bring the shotgun and rifle.

I think 3-9 is perfect. I handcall/Foxpro

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugle,

I wrote the original question 2 years ago. Wrote updates about what I had bought.

This things sat here over a year untouched until Ray got on this morning. Funny stuff.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

In all seriousness...I have never had a chance at more than 8 coyotes in a day. The first set had 5 come in to the Foxpro.

I wish there was a way I could see when the post was made...instead of just the month and day of each post. I'd like to know the year

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
+1 on the nightforce..It is firstfocal plane scope with MOA turrets and Zero stop. Good scope with good glass. SHV about your budget.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote