THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Invited to go hunting question on which rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invited to go hunting question on which rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got invited to go hunting on a huge ranch in West Texas (Val Verde county). I have killed my share of coyotes and even have several bobcats in my day. I want to get a fox for a full body mount without a lot of damage to the critter. Advice on the caliber would be helpful. I have a 22lr, 222 and even a 6mm in the safe for varmints. More than likely will be using my Fox Pro electronic caller. Not that it matters a lot but owner has killed two mountain lions on the ranch while deer hunting. Your thoughts please or pm a phone number, would like to talk to you. Thanks, Okie Newton

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What varmints are you anticipating shooting? The fact that you listed a 22LR suggests you may encounter many very small targets at close range in addition to "other."

But why not take all 3?

Having said that, my rule of thumb is that a .222 or .223 would take care of 90% of varmints out to 300 yards.

In any event, I hope you have a wonderful time and I wish you great good luck!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He said fox are quite plentiful being seen on the ranch roads at night. Of course a lion would be a huge bonus. Will need to save room for my 300 wby somewhere. I shot a silver medal black Hawaiian ram there before. Across some of the small canyons is a pretty good distance.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
He said fox are quite plentiful being seen on the ranch roads at night. Of course a lion would be a huge bonus. Will need to save room for my 300 wby somewhere. I shot a silver medal black Hawaiian ram there before. Across some of the small canyons is a pretty good distance.
Congratulations on your silver medal black ram, and your marksmanship with your 300 Weatherby! That's a truly wonderful accomplishment and I am much impressed. Kudos to you!

Still, the OP has 3 rifles in his safe that he believes are suitable for varmints: a 22LR, a .222 and a 6mm. He mentioned what had been shot in that area but didn't indicate that those were the only varmint options on his future plate.

Which one of his 3 choices would you suggest he take, and why would you do so before you ask why he would not take all 3?

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
Got invited to go hunting on a huge ranch in West Texas (Val Verde county). I have killed my share of coyotes and even have several bobcats in my day. I want to get a fox for a full body mount without a lot of damage to the critter. Advice on the caliber would be helpful. I have a 22lr, 222 and even a 6mm in the safe for varmints. More than likely will be using my Fox Pro electronic caller. Not that it matters a lot but owner has killed two mountain lions on the ranch while deer hunting. Your thoughts please or pm a phone number, would like to talk to you. Thanks, Okie Newton

If you're calling foxes I'd consider using a shotgun (if you have one) to be honest. They're quick little buggers and any centerfire rifle will tear a pretty big hole in a fox.

Of the choices you've listed I'd probably use the .222, a .22 LR won't drop an animal as big as a fox on the spot without making a head shot.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lung/heart shot on a fox with a HP 22 L.R. will kill most foxes on the spot or just a short run at 50 to 75 yards or more...When night hunting with a red light I place a 12 ga. with no. 2 or 4 shot beside me for foxes and a 222 on my other side for anything else further out. I put a pillow on top of the PU cab, place the call on that (to keep it from sounding tinney). I have racks on the PU to break up my silhouette. and Im ready for anything..For coyotes I like to be on an knoll over looking lots of ground...For foxes and bobcats I drive out in the thick stuff. The other option is hunt from a deer blind and shoot down the senderos early mornings and night. I grew up in Texas hunting varmints as the hides were very valuble from time to time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the 222 gets to go to west Texas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an almost new 12 ga Citori but not crazy bout it going out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your bullet selection will be more important than the rifle.

for Fox I like to use the 7 mauser with a cast bullet that has a point on the nose ending with a small flat tip.
the bullet acts similar to a F.M-jacket but has a little expansion.
the hides are super easy to sew up.
the same load works for Bob cat too, you can't even see the holes on the one here on the wall, and I know where I shot it.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, didn't see a fox but I did see some pretty country. Shot a cull buck and a big doe on the trip. Had fun at least.