Notify
Tools

Electronic Varmint caller
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
What brand and model is the best?

Was going to buy a new Fox Pro but there are so many makes and models to choose from now...thought I would get opinions.

Just a casual coyote hunter...BUT...when I go I want:

1) a riable unit and

2) a simple to use unit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36460 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I just received my first. FoxPro seemed to have the most positive feedback so that's what I went with.

I opted for the Patriot model as the remote is supposed to be an improvement to that used on the Inferno and earlier models.

Haven't used it yet but can't wait to.

I paid $20 more but it is on sale at Cabelas right now for a mere $119 and, with their promo code, you get free shipping: http://www.cabelas.com/product...2519383.uts?slotId=1

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ordered one. Can’t beat the price

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get one with a 100yd remote.
That will put 'em where you want them to be
and not in your face/lap. It can get a little hairy when they're close enough to touch.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5938 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ICOtec gc300 is economical and works great.
Four coyotes in eight minutes, first time we used it.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2325 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FoxPro is the brand I use, I have one of the decoy thing that shakes. Keeps the critters attention on it instead of the you. Posted here earlier but don't see it now.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I use and really like a FoxPro Shockwave. It's a higher end unit that now sells for about $500. FoxPro has some nice entry to mid-level units for less that will do a lot. Visit their website or have a look over at Predator Masters for all kinds of information on predator hunting.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Have friend with a Ico Tec 300 he got on sale at Walmart for $70.00. In the two years he has owned it he has gotting his money back 5 or 6 times with the hides he has sold. Sells for $90.00 today.

I have a Ico Tec GC350 I paid $125.00 for 3 years ago. I also have gotten my money back several times over in the hides I have collected and sold.

Another friend has a Ico tec 500 with the attached decoy he paid about $200.00 for and he also has gotten his money back from sold hides.

It is also nice to be able to down load sounds and getting updated sounds from the sound library Ico Tec has.

Mine and my friends remotes work for up to 300 yards although i have onlt tested mine to 250 yards.

I was trying to upload sounds to a SD card that was to big and couldn't get it to work. Contacted Coustomer service and with in minutes the problem was solved by useing a old SD card of 2 GB instead of thr to big 16GB card ment for cameras to hold pictures.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Ive had a fox pro wildfire for the last six years with over 100 couotes to its name. No problems yet.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got the Bullet HP by Convergent Hunting Systems. So far so good.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
Ive had a fox pro wildfire for the last six years with over 100 couotes to its name. No problems yet.

I have one too; killed a coyote on Sat with it, although IMO coyotes are wising up to electronic calls - ten years ago it was a lot easier...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by samir:

I have one too; killed a coyote on Sat with it, although IMO coyotes are wising up to electronic calls - ten years ago it was a lot easier...

Agreed, electronic callers and "hunting contests" have made a lot of smart dogs around here.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
My brother and I use the Primo Big Dog. Works great and half the cost of a Fox Pro. Yes dogs have gotten wiser but if you use the right calls and not just a distress call all the time, you can call even the most called dogs in.

When we hunt in pairs we set the call at 25 yards and one has a shotgun with 4 buck. Sometimes my daughter comes along and then two of us use a rifle and give the shotgun to her. This time of year in my opinion is the hardest time to call them in. Late summer to December is much easier.

Posts: 749 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This time of year in my opinion is the hardest time to call them in. Late summer to December is much easier.

Really? I find this time of year to be best; my average the last three outings has been one coyote per four stands, which is way better than average.

As a side note, I used a decoy on Saturday. It was late morning so I set up in a brushy steep walled draw. Coyote came running in so fast to the decoy I had no time to draw a bead (I had a shotgun in my hands but rifle next to me). In two seconds he was there, saw the decoy was not real, and tore out of there in overdrive. I wonder if he would have come in slower without the decoy...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foxpro, hands down. I've had 4 or 5 of them. Nothing else comes close and it's made in the USA!

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some side boards on my pickup..I put a pillow on top of the cab, and a cassette player on top of the pillow. I have a red q-beam light, and a hand call...I give the hand call a couple of blasts, then turn the cassette on..I like a cotton tail or half grown jack rabbit or a bird call, a litter of kittens works well...It works as good as a high dollar call..I keep a shotgun with #2s and a 222 or 6x45 on the top of the cab next to the pillow and cassette..I get probably an average of 5 coyotes, a couple of bobcats and lots of fox with this set up in Texas...In Idaho I hunt during the day and get 2 to 10 coyotes per day..I don't varmint hunt much these days, too busy fishing and roping.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41796 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote