New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Lions on the move
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On Dec. 1 a home owner reports a mountain lion was in there back yard at night time and caught on camera. This was in Dallas county and game warden verified the tracks. First ever reported in this area.

This morning a TV reports a man killed by a lion about 50 miles west of Ft Worth. Yes we have lions roaming around down here.

Watch your backs when out early in the mornings going to deer stands before day light.

I saw a lion while out shooting PD's in Colorado when it came out of a creek about 500 yds away and went into a brush area. He didn't give me enough time to get my rifle on him. My 17 Rem might have been a little too light for that varmint. I would like to try my 204 Ruger on a lion. What do you think?

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took one south of Dryden couple years ago. Was about 140 yds, used a 223/12 gauge. The 223 was hand load sierra # 1390 at max. He was about 140# and went about 20yards after shot.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe they have de bunked this story now.
Now they are suggesting homicide or a suicide. Not sure how they tied a lion to this initially.
I am sure we will hear more in the following days.

EZ

the story on the Lion kill in Hunt county.
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
On Dec. 1 a home owner reports a mountain lion was in there back yard at night time and caught on camera. This was in Dallas county and game warden verified the tracks. First ever reported in this area.

This morning a TV reports a man killed by a lion about 50 miles west of Ft Worth. Yes we have lions roaming around down here.

Watch your backs when out early in the mornings going to deer stands before day light.

I saw a lion while out shooting PD's in Colorado when it came out of a creek about 500 yds away and went into a brush area. He didn't give me enough time to get my rifle on him. My 17 Rem might have been a little too light for that varmint. I would like to try my 204 Ruger on a lion. What do you think?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are trying to get the correct answer of what happened. The Texas Parks rangers are not with the Medical exam report.

I will try to keep up on this

Les

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that if you have good broad side shot and poke a hole through his lungs he well be a dead cat.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update:

Lion killed by legal hunter about 20 mile north of where the big mountain lion was seen on camera. A big male at 160 lbs, I wonder if there are more in the area?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ranched 75,000 acres that bordered the Big Bend Nationa Park south of Marathon Texas, the Rosillas mt. ranch..Had lots of lions and I trapped, and hunted them with dogs and my late long time friend Apache Adams. He owned the dogs..I had a freezer full of worthless Lion hides..When I moved to Idaho I brought 10 hides with me frozen, and traded 4 or 5 to a taxidermist fo elk tooth rings..the game dept. and 4 wardens came to my office with a warrant for me!! I told them they should know those were not Idaho lions as they looked like alley cats by comparison..They allowed Id have to prove that, so I called Texas Game warden David Cook who told them I had a freezer full of lion hides and that Lions were a preditor in texas and no season, he said DNA would varify that..but they accepted what he said in that he had seen them in the freezer on severa ocassion..It was an interresting day at my office with the boss looking over my shoulder..I was the US forrest service criminal investigator. He said you handled that quite well and that was that. I got in my last 6 years of Fed. law enforcement there, and retired..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having lived among Mt. Lions most of my life, I have no fear of the animals and take such incidents with a grain of salt and in suspect as to why, Rabid, maybe, whatever, but a Lion is the most timid creature Ive ever seen...A little bobcat on the other hand in a trap is hell on wheels and dangerous..Ive seen my dad kill a lion in a trap with a hammer, and he would stand back and shoot a Bobcat..Lions shy of dogs and stay treed as a rule and a bobcat will jump in the middle of them...I just have a different perspective on our cats...

California LIons and bears even coyotes, from being protected seem to have lost all fear of humans and even coyotes put humans on the food chain, hopefully the Lions or Republicans hunting liberal Democrats tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect maybe the bodies had been chewed up by foxes, skunks, buzzards and some poor old lion got the blame, Folks in California think different than the rest of the world, and Washinton DC usually agrees with them.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in El Paso the city backed up to the Frankln Mountains which were full of desert mule deer and hence mountain lions. From time to time an old cat who no longer had the ability to kill deer would roll into the city and eat someone's labrador in their back yard. But they largely left people alone. I've seen em two times out hunting. One we called in when we were coyote hunting...we scared him more than he scared us! LOL. The other one scared the bejusus out of me. Me and my hunting buddy were stalking mulies down a pretty rocky arroyo in New Mexico and I just happened to look up at the right time and caught one just sprawled out on the ledge of rock face looking directly at me...about 40 yards away.... We skedaddled pretty quick...lol

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Having lived among Mt. Lions most of my life, I have no fear of the animals and take such incidents with a grain of salt and in suspect as to why, Rabid, maybe, whatever, but a Lion is the most timid creature Ive ever seen...”

Very true. Most scary story's on the internet come from people who have probably never seen them.

Truth is if you live where they live you have likely unknowingly walked by several in your lifetime. If Cougars were really so dangerous there would be constant reports of deaths in the west. Best advice is get a grip on yourself.... shocker

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KY Nimrod,
Small world, I was raised at the north end of the Franklin Mountains, called the old Threadgill place, my family ranched the flats and leased the area on the mountain where the tin mines are..Some years later when I was a Deputy Sheriff in El Paso and Clarence McDonald was a city policeman we leased the North end of the Franklin Mountains from the city of El Paso,for a cattle operation, and to keep folks off of it so no law suits against them. fixed the old wells and the headquarters was the Threadgill house in the flats where I was raised. our ranch bordered NM and the White Sands Missle base..that missle base had some monster deer and they would frequent the high country rimrocks around the tin mines on our ranch, where few people even knew about them...I caught one guy that killed a nice average buck on top and carried it to war road 11, I told him since he killed it and packed it off the mountain, he could have it, but next time call me and get permission!! He had to be a hoss to do that.. clap I shot some big deer in that country..had to stay high as the Ft. Bliss firing range was below some of that area, and NM was a bombing range..rough country, ride a young mule or horse two days and you had to bridle him laying down! took the buck out of them in a hurry..I usually had a ranch leased to supliment my law enforcement career, and that lead to guiding deer and antelope hunters, and later into the booking business..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I got freaked out on my walk to work last winter in the dark. Couldn't figure out, but I felt like something was following me.

Live remote and I walk about 1.5 miles to to work. Normally in the winter and Spring before daylight savings time it is dark.

Started taking a high powered flashlight with me and found that I had a coyote that liked to follow me to work.

The local biologist has a lot of mt lion footage on a trail camera in this area.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote