THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    looking for good coyote hunting state

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for good coyote hunting state
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Perhaps you can help me find what I'm looking for:

I'm located in northern Michigan and have been coyote calling local dogs for several years. Have been successful but our numbers are low. Am looking for a state with high numbers and good amount of public land not loaded with callers. OR: state where private owners are friendly to coyote callers. Am NOT looking for guided hunts: just DIY, although lodging near the hunt area would be helpful. Where would you go?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look at N.D or S.D. They both have PLOTS or Walking access land. If you hunt the western part of both states there is lots public land.

Good luck

Relive your memories take a kid hunting and fishing

Posts: 152 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 28 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Southern Idahos vast owyhee desert. you can expect up 25 per day if your an experienced caller with the equipment..It takes at least that to win a coyote killing contest up here.

Just driving around can get you 2 to 6 coyotes a day..mostly BLM land and ranchers are friendly to coyote hunters. The Owyhee is as large as some states Im told, I know you drive to hell and back out there.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Northern Nevada would also be good. tu2

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
owyhee desert

Yep, that Northern Nevada, Southern Oregon and Idaho area is great for coyotes. The entire basin all the way east to I-15 in Utah.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres quite a bit of coyotes over here in south east oregon. Alot of country to. Sagebrush, junipers, and timber. And I'm sure the ranchers would let you hunt for them on there land.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When traveling I see more dead coyotes on the road in northern north east NM. Then most places.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of dairys that border the desert out of Twin Falls, the dump dead cows behind them..LOTS of coyotes and its mostly on BLM land, but lots of dirt and gravel roads for hundreds of miles to drive and shoot coyotes, void of all human species short of cowboys and they will tell you where to look for coyotes..Give it a try. You will probably see a lot of elk and some monster bulls some Antelope with good bucks, and few if any deer, but that adds to the enjoyment of any hunt. Take extra gas, food and water, or stay in close to civilization to hunt, you will likely be out of cell phone contact the deeper in you go...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
KS
ND
SD
NE
OK
TX
Tornado alley is your best bet. KS if you want a balance of numbers and fur quality. ND if you’re looking for for top quality fur with viable numbers.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Just stay in your home state of Michigan. There is all kinds of public land in the UP and the northern section of the lower and a lot of coyotes.

I have never had a problem getting permission to hunt coyotes in michigan short of the coummuter areas north of Detroit till their pets get partly ate buy coyotes.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
When traveling I see more dead coyotes on the road in northern north east NM. Then most places.

PD:

I look at road killed coyotes as a good indicator; AZ is full of them. Problem in AZ is they seem to have wised up to calling the past ten years. Decoys help immensely.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotes get call smart pretty damn quick and when they do the shooting gets real bad, its time to move to another destination..Coyotes speak both English and Spanish and in the north east they speak Russian and polish Im pretty sure..We can't wipe them out because they are smarter than humans, and they love to mate and have lots of babies..I know a lot about coyotes that biologist don't.. hilbily jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess all those states have coyotes, but if you hunt coyotes in Utah you can claim your $50 bounty.

I was hunting elk and deer and a friend from Utah said he'd come over and give me a hand. He dropped me off and agreed he would pick me up in 4 hours of climbing a mountain. He asked if I brought my "coyote gun", I said yes. Did I have ammo for the rifle, of course. Did I bring my calls and electronic call, yes. As we were on the border with Utah, he took my truck and showed up 4 hours later as promised. My luck on that morning, no joy. As I approached the truck I asked how the did. Smiling he thumbed to the bed of the truck, $300 in dead coyotes as they were killed in Utah. Take a look at the Utah Fish and Game site and look of "coyotes". Good luck.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote