Find
Notify
Tools

Spider 1 - VarmintGuy 0!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Oh boy!
Late Thursday night a Spider of unkown brand bit the VarmintGuy on the inside instep of his right foot.
I woke up Friday morning with a foot that looked like a huge red sausage! I could not walk! I had to call the VarmintWife home from work to take me to the hospital!
Misery would not be an adequate word to describe my pain, nausea, fever, upset, headaches and the horror of just trying to walk or move!
The Drs. took blood samples and gave me shots and medication to combat infection but the swelling and pain and discoloration are still on me in force!
Oh well my turn in the barrel - I guess!
I have a Drs. appointment in the morning (Monday) and for the first time in my 58 years of living - I WILL ask for pain medication!
I searched for the offending Spider but none were found. I did take the VarmintDog out onto my lawn during the night in question and may have been bitten then. Black Widow Spiders have been killed by me within 50' of the spot I stood that night.
Doesn't matter much now I am just hopeful the discolored flesh will not start to rot away!
Sheesh - its always something!
I must be getting better as this is the first time in three days I have been able to sit up for more than 5 minutes (toilet times!). The throbbing in said foot becomes just unbearable when upright or sitting.
I have moved my foot soaking pan to the computer room and am typing while soaking. The Drs. recommend Epsom salts soaking alternated with hot soapy water soaks and then in between ice packs.
I must use crutches to walk and when lying down foot is elevated to reduce pain and throbbing!
I am gonna find that Spider though and when I do it will be added to my All Time Varmint list!
Well, I will try to get online tomorrow during a foot soaking - meanwhile I suggest everyone vacuum their bedroooms and spray around their house for Spiders.
Wish me luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey VarmintGuy

Hope things get better - had a fella at work get bit in the knee with a black widow and he was laid up for a week - didn't realize how much swelling was involved as we deal those little buggers all the time around our house - used to worry alot when the kids were little but none of us were ever bit - they seem to always set up up house under our lawn furniture and it is just a habit now to check before we sit - again - wish ya the best and hope nothing permanent

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG:

We all hope you are doing much better in short order...I am sure it is a toss up of what hurts more..the foot or the humiliation of being laid up by one dumbass spider....

Hang in there guy!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I hope that dumb as spider wasn't a brown recluse Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Here's hopes for your fast recovery!! I've seen a few of the "Brown Recluse" bites and they get UGLEEEEE!! The flesh does rot away! Have heard of people losing toes or fingers to them from the flesh deal! That's real good news isn't it!?? I had some kind of little arachnid bit me on my right jaw on Saturday AM while delivering some seed to N.C.....swelled and started itching immediately!! This is Monday and I now have a couple raw and scabbed over(raw is where I scratched it!!) places on my right jaw!! Lks like I chew tobacco!!( I do dip snuff but don't put it up side my jaw!!) Anyway, hoping this post finds you in better conditions!! Played with the rimfires tonite! Squirrel season opens Saturday!! The "Bushytail Classic" is scheduled to take place Saturday AM! That's a little contest where you are paired up with a fellow club member and the losing team has to clean all the squirrels for the other teams!! YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE!!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Hey VG! Hope all goes well and a speedy recovery.....proof positive as to why we need an Endangered Species List----> I am sure that spider just made yours! roflmao

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday (Monday August 29th) I spent most all day at my Doctors office and the local clinic giving more life fluids (blood!) for them to play with.
My 0830 appointment with my families Doctor did not start out well. The Doctor took one look at my "Spider bite" and said "VarmintGuy that is not a Spider Bite its a venomous snake bite"! I relayed to the Doctor how I had been around Rattlesnakes all my life and had been struck at in excess of 20 times (never hit!) and I was sure I would have noticed even an attempt by a Rattler to strike at me - let alone a direct hit!
The Doctor interrupted me by saying this was the second Rattlesnake bite he has seen this summer where the recipient did not know they had been bit!
He has treated many such snakebites in the past!
I was amazed by this!
The Doctor sent for my blood tests from my Friday morning visit to the E.R.
Once they came he had inquired as to my symptoms (fever, pain, pain running in a narrow line from bite site to groin, slight nausea, fever, lack of appetite, mental diminishment, swelling, large discolored area of flesh etc). The Doctor looked at me and said I guarantee you have been bitten by a Rattler! The blood tests arrived and they affirmed the Doctors opinion. Not only was there snake venom in my blood but my body had began (unsuccesfully in all cases) to produce antigens (I think that was the word he used?) to the venom!
The Doctor sent me immediately for another blood test to verify the initial findings! They came back positive for venomous snake venom in my blood!
You could have knocked me over with a feather!
I had been bitten by a Rattler and I was not even aware of it!!!
Sheesh - I missed out on that once in a lifetime event!
Damn!
The Doctor relayed to me after inquiring of my Thursdays regimen (as best as I could recall it for him) that I had either stepped on a very young Rattlesnake as I was doing some lawn chores while barefoot or I had been bitten by a young Rattler as I trudged back and forth in the rock and sage brush filled irrigation canal that is my friends private Rifle range!
Either way we now know the culprit - proven by now two blood tests - Rattlesnake!
Thats the good news.
The bad news was that anti-venon (anti-venom?) would do no good for me now nearly 4 days later!
Further bad news - and the Doctor gave me one of those "I hate to have to tell you this looks"
he relayed to me that I needed to prepare myself for necrosis (dying rotting flesh) to begin. That, and, he wanted me to start thinking about where on my body they will take the skin grafts from to cover this arch area of my foot. This area needs to be covered with more than a scar as there are many blood vessels and nerves in the arch area that need to have more than just scar tissue covering them!
I uttered a self sobering "I see"!
The Doctor said that the present meds that I had been taking to prevent "the Spider bite" from infecting and causing more flesh loss and other complicatiosn was a good regimen and he ordered more meds and also gave a prescription for pain relief pills to aid in my sleep and help deal with the throbbing pains and intermittent sharp piercing pains in the area.
Last night with the help of one of those pills I actually was able to sleep through the night!
That was a large blessing.
Sleep deprivation I again ascert is the ultimate torture.
I asked the Doctor (who is a Hunter!) if my wounds may be healed by October 9th (opening day of Antelope Rifle season) he laughed and said I was an unusual case (having no anti-venon (anti-venom) administered, and he had no idea how long it would take for the flesh to die off and the skin graft to then be put in place!
Sheesh - like I say, its my turn in the barrel and I will make the best of a bad situation!
Today I have been continuing with my Epsom salt baths and soapy water baths.
I am actually able to walk without crutches for short distances (to the bathroom).
I guess the lesson from this situation is, keep shoes on (especially on children) in Rattlesnake country in August! And when uncertain of emergency room diagnosies ask that blood test results be rushed to you AND your Doctor and DON'T GET SICK ON A FRIDAY or on a weekend!
Wish me luck!
I have some targets I have not measured yet that I shot with my new Kimber 22 last Thursday that I am gonna try and get downstairs and retrieve from my shooting box. Stairs are tough with a crampy painful foot and crutches!
Keep an eye out for Snakes!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, damn the luck, you have my wishes for a speddy recovery. This is not the time of year to be laid up. With a little luck you'll be out in the field in no time Smiler

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbhewitt: Thanks for the kind words and thoughts!
You are exactly right - I only have 39 days until I need to be in top form for my annual combination Antelope/Coyote/Prairie Dog Safari!
I had to turn myself in again today to the kind Doctors. My temperature had gone down to 96.5 degrees. They checked me over and took my temperature with the top o'the line temperature gauge and I was at 96.8 then. Blood pressure was 120/78 and my slight dizziness was attributed to my stirring things up a bit (blood wise) as I am no longer bed ridden and for the first time in 5 days I was moving instead of laying down all morning.
Anyway I was sent home again to await the onset of necrosis (dying flesh) and I only wish it would happen ASAP so I can get ready for the upcoming Safari!
I did get in the VarmintMobile this late evening and went out and watched Antelope, Whitetails and Mule Deer until after sundown.
Saw some dandies of all species!
Gonna be a good season here abouts.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG
I hate to pee in your wheaties, but you might want to look at this link snake bite Poor guy was laid up for nearly 2 years from a snake bite and follow up graft surgeries.

I certainly hope you fare much better than this guy did but 39 days might be a little optimistic.

All the best
Chris

Posts: 44 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winmagman: Thanks for your concern and the link. I appreciate that!
I am not in the mood to allow you or anyone else to pee in my Wheaties though!
I have very little appetite as it is!
I have to force myself to eat half a bannana or half a piece of toast before I swallow my meds four times a day.
I am walking pretty well now and the Doctors yesterday poked the wound site for a long time with their fingers (this was painful by the way) and they were somewhat encouraged that the "lump" of discoloration actually has rapid blood circulation - determined by when they remove their finger pressure and the white spot turns rapidly back to red, crimson and purplish colors! Apparently this is the scientific way to ascertain if blood is circulating into a wounded or bruised area of ones body?
Six years of Medical School to be able to do that?
Naw I am just given the Doctors the gears! They have ALL been as attentive and concerned as could be! I am happy with my care.
Winmagman - I will bet you a box of your favorite shotshells (if your prognostication is correct and I do not make my upcoming October 9th Safari I will buy and ship to you - or send you a Postal Money order for the value of same!) vs. a bag of 204 Ruger brass or a Postal money order for $15.99 (to be paid to me if I am succesful in making my October 9th Safari)!
Do I have any takers?
You are right Winmagman though, and no one is more aware than I how many things can go wrong with my situation!
I am hoping for the best.
My temperature is more normal today and I am actually pretty chipper.
I have cleaned the VarmintHouse and started a huge batch of Venison Stew for the VarmintSons who are both coming home from their respective colleges for this weekend!
Yeah - Winmagman those photos of the young fellows arm and hand are sure sobering! I think I may be faring "a tad" better than he - thankfully!
For instance I am in my 7th full day after my bite and no surgeries needed so far. His first surgery was on day ONE after his bite as his scenario and postings indicate.
Young Justins dilemma was certainly a horrendous one and one of immediate and tragic medical consequences.
Young Justin did not relay if he received any anti-venom injections. I might just E-mail him and inquire of him.
Thankfully he lived through that ordeal!
I am still willing to betcha I make my Safari.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG
No takers here shame Big Grin

Man I think back on some of the reasoning I've used to justify being in the feild and there's just no way I could bet against a hunters desire to get out if at all possible.

Best of luck now and in Oct.

Posts: 44 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Vg
I wish you the swiftest recovery a guy like you needs to be in the field shooting!

operation of the trigger finger is easy you
will make it take your meds. And put some lead in the air beer

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
Get well soon VG. Sorry to hear of your discomfort. Glad we don't have such venomous spiders over here.

Long live harmless arachnids.

All mushrooms can be eaten, but some only once.

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
VG i'm truly so sorry to read this. I wish you all the best for speedy recovery. I haven't been to active on the board as of late. I have my first female grandchild and was taking my extra time to make sure she gets spoiled to the max.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
get well VG, keep us updated!!!

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snakes are the prime reason my son wants to move to AK. They have done up there.

He wears snake boots on are p dog hunts he likes it wear its cold and no snakes.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG;Hang in there you will pull it out.Eat healthy and endevour to persevere.I can tell you I mowed my yard today for the last time this summer w/extreme caution.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gophershooter: My wife did the honors on our lawn this morning - and she had BOOTS on also! LOL!
Finally today the skin above the hardest "thumb sized" area of my wound (Rattlesnake bite - yeah at first I though it was a Spider bite but two blood tests proved it was Rattler) erupted or broke open!
If I were to guess, I am hoping this thumb sized area is what will be dying off (Necrosis). If that is all I loose I will be happy!
Especially after looking at the ordeal "Justin" went through.
I am no Doctor but I have to think "Justin" had a BAD REACTION to his venomous bite!
MY swelling and discoloration and pain is clearly receeding and this skin breakage just happened a few hours ago.
Doctors appointment on Tuesday early AM.
Thanks to all for the well wishes!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

posted Hide Post
Best of luck with fast healing.

Matt

Squeeze dang-it!

Posts: 33 | Location: Missoula, MT | Registered: 16 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt: Thanks for the kind thoughts!
I went to the Doctor Tuesday morning the 6th of September - and he was again pleased with the area of my wound being "alive" still - in that it is circulating blood. The hard mass that used to be foot flesh and a tendon or two is still quite "hard" and the Doctor thinks that may take 2 to 3 more months to soften up? Or to die and slough off? Its been 14 full days since the "incident".
We will see.
I do know I am going to give Rattlesnakes (and the areas they live in) a lot more respect and caution in the future!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
the only good snake is a dead one, I hate snakes. I watched a show the other day that described exactly what is happening to you, in fact this guy was actually bitten by a dead rattler, he put his foot on the snake then lopped of its head, then picked up the head, and for some reason was not paying attention, and got pricked, just pricked by it on the finger. they didn't think anything was wrong and waited till the end of the day, in the end the guy ended up loosing part of his finger, with your foot being a much larger limb hopefully you will be alright, post some pics LOL, just kidding, keep us posted!!! and get well soon, the varmints will get out of control if you don't

one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, just now saw this and wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. Lot of folks think snake bites are a joke, but we both know better. It sounds like it's going your way and I truly hope the necrosis is not debilitating. Best wishes...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Digital Dan & Cummins cowboy: Thanks to both of you for the concern and kind thoughts!
I still have an index finger (adult) size hard lump of flesh on the instep of my right foot. It is just under the skin and is slowly turning from purle-burgundy to bright red! I am guessing but I think that is better than getting darker or staying the same color.
The Doctor thinks this swollen lump thing may take 2 to 3 months to soften up or die! One way or the other I am going to try all my Hunting boots on tomorrow and see if any of them will fit over this "bulge".
I have been wearing a pair of velcro strap tennis shoes this past week (prior to that I wore a huge sock over the foot) and they were large to begin with and the velcro allowed for the lump.
I am sure one of my Danners will loosen up enough for me to get that foot in there.
A VERY thin layer of my skin (the outermost layer) from the base of my toes to about 5 inches above my ankle sloughed off during the last couple of days. This area was where the super swelling had originally occurred. I do not know if the "stretching" killed this thin layer of the skin or if it was caused by the venom. Anyway its gone and the original wound site is shiney new skin and healing pretty well it seems.
I am supposed to be Hunting the wiley Rocky Mountain Elk with Archery gear even as we converse here but that ain't gonna fly. I am hoping to be Hunting Bear on the fall opener here September 15th. I know where two Bears were living this spring and they are only 1 mile from where I can get the VarmintMobile. I think I can make that type of jaunt by then!
I tried to change the title of this thread once it was ascertained it was a Rattler and not a Spider that harmed me but I could not edit it.
More later and thanks again.
By the way Digital Dan were you bitten by a Rattler or some other type snake?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
No I wasn't, but have two acquaintances that suffered the full course from Eastern Diamondbacks, full grown. One on the hand, the other on the calf. The latter benefitted greatly from antivenom, the former lost two middle fingers on the left hand due to necrosis. What's left is of little use due to atrophy caused by nerve damage, this from the severe swelling that resulted. Just a guess on my part but I suspect we have a few more snakes down here than in Big Sky country, Rattlers, Cotton Mouths, Copperheads and Coral Snakes, the latter blessed with neurotoxin and quite deadly. We also have the odd sea snake drift in from time to time though they are a bit reticent for the most part. In any case, you learn early on down here to be watchful while in the woods, for there is no such thing as a good snake bite. They are so common that I know of nobody with field dogs that hasn't lost one or more while hunting. The strike of a 6'+ Diamondback has swift results.

Then there was Viet Nam, but that was long ago, and far away. Cobras, kraits(AKA-Three Stepper), bamboo vipers to name a few...I really don't care much for venomous snakes. Probably you don't either. Wink

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Hey VG, Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery!

By the way, I hunted deer with one foot in an oversized rubber boot complete with bandages and a wool sock one fall. It wasn't due to a snake thankfully but worked and the Dr. didn't know any difference. I saw very few Rattlers in Eastern Or growing up, but I've killed 10 in one summer right here at work!

Go hunting, it'll make you happy and healthy! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
:rolleyes Funny you should mention spider bites.
I was in a wooded area shooting a round of sporting clays Sunday afternoon. Sunday night over dinner my left elbow itched like hell! Monday morning it was a little red & swollen. Monday afternoon it was lots more swollen, red & hot to the touch. Monday night I felt like I was coming down with the flu!
The doctor said I didn't come in a moment too soon. He took my temp (101 degrees), drained my elbow, gave me a supply of antibiotics, and told me to come back in on Friday. Maybe more draining, maybe surgery...
My only hope is that the spider feels considerably worse than me!!!
Regards, George Big Grin

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
so was it brown recluse or blk widow?

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate: I used to go down to the Maderas - Bend area of eastern Oregon every summer while I was a teenager to work in the fields of hay and mint. I worked for Maderas Cattle Feeders for several summers bucking up hay in fields throughout that region and taking it to their feed lot. It was literally a nightmare dodging the Rattlers that would curl up under those bales in the summer there! We had to quit buckin hay by noon as the Rattlers got faster and angrier as they warmed up their blood with the rising air temps!
My worst encounter with an Eastern Oregon Rattler though was one day while waterskiing!
We had an old Willys Jeep and would waterski behind it in the large irrigation canals!!! What a hoot that was. Except for getting in and out of the canal water! Rattlers were everywhere on the banks and it was not unusual to see 10 in a days skiing for three of us!
Well I was skiing along behind the Jeep as the Jeep barrelled down the canal road and I took a bad spill (header) - I came up spitting water and gurgling and try to get a good breath! I barely made it to the shoreline and was gasping there still laying in the water when I looked up the bank and not 2 feet in front of my face was one of the biggest Rattlers I have every seen! I had two choices go for deeper water and maybe drown or get bit in the face by said Snake! I went for the drowning!
Obviously I lived through that face to face ordeal but I admit that Rattler gave me many a sleepless night!
What part of eastern Oregon did you grow up in Big Nate?
I was there in the Maderas to Bend areas each summer up until 1964.
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

George _ Capriola: I certainly hope you get back to full Varminting speed ASAP!
My brother lived in Rocklin, California for several years and was bit by a Spider on his big toe. He had some serious times with that one.
I wonder what brings these small creatures to want to bite us large creatures? Do they think we are edible or are they just panicky and bite out of fear we will sit or step on them?
Probably never know the answer to that one.
Get well soon!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
I just found this Sorry to hear of your encounter and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
It sounds like you only got tagged by a little one probably born this year( neonate) Western Diamond backs do pack a pretty serious punch at adult size and in some areas of the southwestern US small pockets of Western Diamondbacks have shown to have evolved a venom that has a higher percentage of nurotoxins to go with the hemotoxins.I would ask you Dr about possable liver damage and a liver function test might be in order just incase.Milk thistle extract will help in rebulding liver damage and is used for other liver aliments as well.

Our ecosystems do need snakes to function properly and in turn they benefit us by reducing rodent populations and the spread of rodent born virusus. Yup you guessed it I have been working and keeping snakes for most of my life(no hots). Too bad they are destroyed by the tens of thousands yearly beacuse of fear and ignorance. ( I bet I will get the "how for and what for"for this post) In any event my best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and a 15" or better lope for you this year.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
VG, just got back from four weeks of 12 hour days and a crashed 'puter to see this. It sounds like you will make antelope season one way or another.

God speed on your recovery.

...and wear yur durn boots next time.

I KNOW I will. Big Grin

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey VG I've got a possible solution. Why don't you guys send a bunch of those hollywood types that have moved in around and have the snakes bite them insead. Probably kill the snakes too. Hope you're going to get yourself a big goat

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, We helped take care of some of the rattle snake population this last weekend. It was our last outing for the year for small critters, the 204 performed fantastic, several confirmed shots between 450 to 500 yards. On our trip through the dog town one of our party shot a prairie rattler that had made the mistake of decideing to sun a little. We took a few pictures of the snake and found a tape measure in one of the trucks. We measured that thing at 54 inches, damn big for around there.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbhewitt! My gawd! A 54" Rattlesnake! That gives me the shivers! Way to go with the 204's and the long shots! Bravo! And good for you on the late last Dog Hunt! I am taking only a couple of Varmint Rifles on my upcoming Antelope Hunt (security concerns - away from the truck many hours at a time etc!). I hope to put a few Varmints in the bag along with some Wild Turkeys and an Antelope!

Butchbloc: You know I would be hard pressed to even wish that venom poisoning even on a Californian! Maybe a P.E.T.A./ELFer California type? Naw, they are their own reward of misery and discontent! Maybe though a Massachuesetter (or are they called Massachuesttonians?). Naw not even them need be punished with a Rattler bite! Maybe a Badger bite in the ass now and then would perk those Bostonians up!

Flippy: Well thank you very much for your kind thoughts and wishes!
Sorry about your computer crash I have not had to suffer that indignity in some time now!
Yes boots would have saved me quite a number of days of misery, headaches, nausea, sleepless nights, worry, discomfort, pain, monetary loss (I missed out on some work on the coast!), I missed some Bear Hunting, I missed some Elk Hunting and many missed sessions at my range!
Thanks again.

Hipster: Thank you for the tips on the possible liver damage. I will take that up with the Doctor this week at my appointment! Milk Thistle has been noted and will look into that also! They took blood samples from me three times so they should have a pre-damage sample to compare with in the future. That may show something?
I have killed maybe 100 Rattlesnakes in my life and quit killing them all on sight some time back! I have killed 4 Rattlers in the last 3 years. Two were near ranches where children lived and the other two were killed as demonstrations for my companions at the times that had never killed one before. One of the fellows I demonstrated the stick and big rock method of killing a Rattler to had never seen a Rattlesnake and he is 64 years old and spent lots of time in Eastern Washington (where there are a fair number of Rattlesnakes!).
Nope I do not kill them all on sight anymore unless they are near areas where kids often frequent.
I once watched a Coyote kill a Rattler and it took the Coyote some time to do so! I was watching through my Unertl 27 power spotting scope and it was a large Rattler (thick but not to long 30"?). I am not sure how the Snake was actually killed but the Coyote bit it repeatedly in the middle and then shook it in its jaws for some time! Maybe at some point the Coyote bit the snakes head but I can't imagine how that could be accomplished without being bit (and maybe the Coyote was?). I have seen several Hawks flying by while in Wyoming and Eastern Montana with Rattlers in their talons (you have to look at the tail of the victimized snake with your binos to see if there are rattles on the tail of the snake and that way you can tell it from a Bull Snake that is very similar looking to a Rattler).
My father and my uncles claim they had a Black Lab when they were young. They lived on a homesteaded ranch near Baker City, Oregon and this Lab would often kill both Rattlesnakes and Bull Snakes by shaking them. My friend killed two Rattlesnakes in two days last week near Virginia City, Montana! Lots of snakes out this year so be careful out in the wilds of Montana for another few weeks!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, I wish you a speedy recovery. Hope you took photos of all changes in your foot. Before and after when healed.
Saying that, my wife was bitten on the thigh by a Pigmy Rattler (6" long) last year in June. She and some of her girl friends were tanning at a Sail Boat Cove Beach near our home in Central Oklahoma. She was lying on a towel and turned to reach for her phone when the snake, resting on her towel bit her. She jumped up, yelled at a guy fishing to come help catch the snake and put it in a soda bottle. I have dealt with snakes most of my life, running with my uncles, catching rattle snakes and copper heads to sell during the snake roundups and to use them for backing my indian style osage bows.
I told her time and time again, if bitten, try to catch or identify the snake to help with treatment. She did remember that.
Went to hospital in ambulance and on the way her girlfriend called me and I met them.
The ER attendent and doctor on call saw the snake and said it was a copperhead. Wrong. I told them it was a pigmy rattle snake and they argued with me but I finally convinced them.
We as in my wife and I and a doctor friend I called not to take the anti-venom due to complications that can occur later.
They pumped her full of steroids, fluids and antibiotics for three or four days. Her thigh swelled to almost double it's size and turned black and purple but didn't have any nasty skin decay. She had lots of pain also for two weeks. It did peel and dry up some. It took her four weeks of bed rest ( with me fetching and gettn') to get up and walk around with crutches.
She had some nerve damage but with some physical therapy she came back within 6 months.
She went on and on about she never thought she would be bitten since she is a city girl and never goes to the woods like me and me playing with snakes all of the time. She just knew she would get a call by now with ME in the hospital due to playing with snakes and skinning them.
In saying all of this, take care of the foot. There is hope that things will go YOUR way and not have any nasty complications. Don't get the foot to hot or damp in the boots and it should heal nicely. Might take an old boot and cut some ventilation holes in it to wear on your upcoming safari. Good luck and God's speed in healing. I know I'm being extra careful right now cause I have a Antelope hunt in southern WY in two weeks and don't want to miss it.
Take care

Mike
Norman, OK

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old when you quit playing.

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Hey VG, Hope your coming along well.

I grew up outside of Klamath Falls. My Dad was breeding Reg Paint horses, so I know what bucking hay is all about believe me! I used to hook the bale and tip it up away from me, pull it on it's edge about a foot or so before I'd pick it up just to see if there were any "friends" waiting for me.

I guess I saw snakes often enough but in that environment it didn't seem like a big deal. It really caught me off-gaurd to have one come out from under a running piece of machinery though! Eeker
We took my oldest boy up to Butte for college and came back down through Madres & Bend and on south. I didn't even recognize the place! I always thought I'd like to move there from here but now I'm not so sure. Kind of sad to see some of those great little towns become so much of a big city. I'd be ok with Burns/Hines area but my wife would leave me there! I couldn't afford that! Although my elk hunting spot would be a lot closer. clap Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigNate: Yes I had some great times there in Madras, Bend and Redmond when I was young. I enjoyed all those summers even with all the Rattlesnake incidents we had then!
I had not been back to Bend, Oregon since I was 17 then last year (40 years later!) I got to do a bodyguard assignment in the Redmond/Bend area of Oregon! I was STUNNED by the growth of both towns! Bend had gone from a sleepy country, ranching community with one main drag to an unbeleivable 65,000 residents AND Wal-Marts and a strip club! I did not recognize any of it!
The view of the "Sisters" was still there and the river but I really had to look to see any Rock Chucks or Coyotes in our travels!
Things change!
If your son needs anything that we can help with while hes in Butte just call me (Dale Gibbons at 406-683-6888) even if its just a home cooked meal or a family time thing at Christmas I would love to drive up and get him or give him a hand!
It is SO quiet around here now with both the VarmintSons away to Washington (in college there)!
The dang phone only rings 3 or 4 times a day now instead of 100!
Let alone the hot tub parties and the lawn football games and making them 5 meals a day etc - empty nester syndrome I guess!
Hope your son does well in college and don't hesitate to call me for assistance of any kind that he may need - I can be there in 65 minutes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
VG, I don't even know what to say other than Thank You. It is very kind and generous of you to offer assistance.

I may have passed right by you on the way up. We came up 15, man there's as many speed goats down in the So. part of the state as there were Rock Chucks! My wife kept getting on me about watching the road! Big Grin
Nate

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigNate: My pleasure to offer my assistance at any time day or night! I worked for 29 years on the graveyard (well 8 at night to 4 in the morning shift!) so a late night call is fine with me. I just hope nothing of need does occur but rest assured if I am home I can be there in 65 minutes.
Yes, I am just 3 or 4 miles east of I-15 near Dillon!
Yes, the Antelope are doing EXTREMELY well here in SW Montana (they are the only animal that can outrun the Wolves!).
The new Montana state record Antelope was killed last fall not 5 miles from my house!!!
It scored 93"+ as I recall. I saw that Lope at the nearby sportsmans show last winter!
And I drive about 500 miles east of here to Hunt my Antelope!!! Maybe I should rethink that one!
Naw, the area I apply for in eastern Montana has a MUCH higher success rate (in the tag drawing!) and I would rather be assured of being drawn and driving 500 miles than of not being drawn for one of the local areas!
Two years back my main Elkin buddy Ben was having Rifle AND Range Finder troubles and had spent a perfectly miserable 6 days stalking and missing Antelope in the area you drove through! I got home from my Hunt over east and responded to his call with my gear. We Hunted just 6 hours and he had a dandy (Trophy!) Antelope on the ground! I was happy to help him as he has given me priceless direction in my Elk Hunting! Anyway on the Hunt where I helped him with the Antelope we spotted and stalked (unsuccesfully) a moster buck that I am certain went 16"! For Montana (anywhere in Montana) that is a BIG Antelope!
I have seen the Wolves chasing Antelope by the way! Its kind of funny to watch as the Wolves tongues are draggin and the Antelope don't fall for the old circle them around past another Wolf trick! Of course we have not had any deep snow winters since the Wolves were re-introduced (1995). maybe things will change for the Antelope if the Wolves ever get deep snow on their side!
Don't hesitate to call!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG sounds like a chance to do some wolf poaching??? I am sure you have a rifle suitable for doing such a thing