Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 AMMO
 Login/Join

posted
I`VE JUST PURCHASED A SAKO 75 HUNTER IN 223 AND ONLY INTEND TO SHOOT FACTORY AMMO FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT 12 MONTHS.THE PROBLEM IS THAT MY LOCAL GUNSMITH ONLY STOCKS REMINGTON 50 GR V-MAX WHICH I CAN`T GET TO GROUP UNDER 3" AT 100 YARDS.A FRIEND GAVE ME A FEW FED PREMIUMS WHICH BROUGHT THE GROUP SIZE DOWN DRAMATICALLY SO I CAN`T SAY THE PROBLEM LIES WITH THE GUN.CAN ANY OF YOU SAKO USERS RECOMMEND A SPECIFIC AMMO WHICH IS FRIENDLY TO THE 75 IN 223

Posts: 31 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader 1>
posted
[Frown] Generally speaking what shoots good in one firearm of a given make may or may not shoot well in the identical gun.I do not own a Sako in .223 at this time but do have other .223 varmint guns in several makes and 3 inch groups with any ammo factory or reloads is really rare. Make sure the guns action is tightened to the stock correctly and scope and rings also.It may be the ammo but 50gr Vmaxs shoot very well with the right powders in the .223.Good luck Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well first of all welcome to the forums I am sure you will find some very interesting stuff here. Back to the topic, i also agree with the action not being bedded in the right places . Try some marking blue on the action & look for tight spots . The barrel in my own opinion should be free floated . All my rifles are action bedded exept for my 7x57 mauser that is fully bedded from action to barrel tip , tough i would not recommend this for areas with dramatic climate changes. If I was you I would get my smith to look at the action bedding , and bed the action if neccesary. As for factory ammo I cant give much info , as i reload for all my calibres.

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

You didn't say whether you have any reloading equipment nearby or not, so I would suggest changing the seating depth of the ammo you're stuck with if you can. We've often done this with military ammo to get it to shoot better without fully reloading.

Just a thought, realizing it may not be available. Hurry up and start loading!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
FYI, I was unable to beat the cheap Ultramax 55 gr. remanufactured stuff, until I bought a collet die. For $10/50 or so, it shoots 1.2" from my "the lands are in a different time zone" Savage 110.

I don't suppose you have access to that cheap stuff over there.

For comparison, my best handloads, dolled up, kissed, and all proper reloader voo-doo added will do about .7 (for five).

Just scrounge up a few other loads, you'll come up with something. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 45gr jacketed hollowpoints shoot well. They come in a 40rd varmint pack around here.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try black hills 52 grain match ammo in the blue box. cheapest place to buy it is georgia precison.

quote:
Originally posted by TIMINUK:
I`VE JUST PURCHASED A SAKO 75 HUNTER IN 223 AND ONLY INTEND TO SHOOT FACTORY AMMO FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT 12 MONTHS.THE PROBLEM IS THAT MY LOCAL GUNSMITH ONLY STOCKS REMINGTON 50 GR V-MAX WHICH I CAN`T GET TO GROUP UNDER 3" AT 100 YARDS.A FRIEND GAVE ME A FEW FED PREMIUMS WHICH BROUGHT THE GROUP SIZE DOWN DRAMATICALLY SO I CAN`T SAY THE PROBLEM LIES WITH THE GUN.CAN ANY OF YOU SAKO USERS RECOMMEND A SPECIFIC AMMO WHICH IS FRIENDLY TO THE 75 IN 223

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO--- European rifles like European ammo. I notice you're in the UK --- any S&B or anything similar available? (No, guys, don't shoot me --- it's different from S&B 5.56 ammo, which has an abysmal reputation.) Maybe Sako ammo??

Failing that, try the Remington 55-gr PSP -- it comes with a lot of street cred for accuracy, and in my Savage will give me sub-MOA consistently (except in very strong winds).

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I finally got hold of some Sako ammunition to test out.The difference is unbelievable with the grouping coming down to thumb nail size.
I`ll still take the advice of several of you and have asked my gunsmith to glass bed the action.

Thanks to all concerned

Timinuk

Posts: 31 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote