New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Chuck hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone here steer me to someone who will do a "guided" rock chuck next year, one on one, for two handgunners in the west? About any state is OK.
Thanks.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to do the same thing back east.

I was booked to do it this summer in Austria for alpine marmots, but work is getting in the way. I am trying to book another option for 2018.

Cool idea, I'd be interested in a report if you can make it happen.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Check with Tim Titus at http://no-off-season.com

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tree 'em. I've been gone a while. I've emailed Tim a few weeks ago, but no answer.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
Thanks, Tree 'em. I've been gone a while. I've emailed Tim a few weeks ago, but no answer.
E-mails aren't the best way to communicate how serious you are. Make a phone call. Trust me . . . voice communication works better than e-mail.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BL, by now I have called Tim about 3 times a week for 6 weeks and NEVER got an answer. Left a voice mail a few weeks ago. NO ANSWER!!!!!!

Larry Rogers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
BL, by now I have called Tim about 3 times a week for 6 weeks and NEVER got an answer. Left a voice mail a few weeks ago. NO ANSWER!!!!!!
Well, that's disappointing as hell. But it is very clarifying, isn't it?

I mean, emails being ignored are one thing. Repeated phone calls being ignored is, IMO, a horse of a different color.

That doesn't help you find a hunt, though. Wish it had turned out differently.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got ahold of Tim last night!
His rockchucks hunts are strange. He'll only let you kill 3 or 4 a trip so he can insure a stable population! Don't think he'll get a lot of business that way.
Still looking for a place to go.

Larry Rogers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that.

You might try asking about rock chuck guides on this forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try these guys; I have shot a pile of rockchucks hunting with them. Their chucks are in lowland areas but I think they can take you high up as well - seem to recall one day we went up in the mountains. Lots of PD and ground squirrels as well.

https://spuroutfitters.com/

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew of a great rock chuck place here in Alberta. I used to shoot one chuck a year. That was enough for me and kept the population up ... in point of fact .. eventually I would drive over there and see a couple of dozen of the cool varmints running out of the adjacent grain field back into the broken country/draw where they hid in the rocks and such ...

And then there were none .. gone ... the farm owners must have poisoned the entire bunch and many years later ... I check the spot about once a year ... none ....

I was being their 'friend' and by not culling them to a reasonable level ... they were all killed ..

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could take u out if work dont get in the way. The most me and my brother got was 7 in a day. I live in Burns. What people call the high dessert. Pm me your phone number. All u got to do is pay for your license. I aint no guide but i love to hunt.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chucks can easily be shot out.. One of our local guides took some hunters in to a canyon loaded with chucks.. They shot all they could.. Now years later there are still no chucks in that canyon.. I would think Ore. or Wash. with chucks coming from the hills to eat crops would be the place.. I have shot a few, but I guard my hunting spots jealously.. They are rare and easily shot out..

Posts: 12 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks AZ writer. Been of the site a while. Just mailed Spur today. So far, no takers. One guy in ID talked to me once on phone. Said he'd call me back. Had one 30 sec. conversation with him in last 3 months. Never home!!!!!! and never returned calls!!!!

Larry Rogers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Europe they are treated like big game.

They can easily be shot out.

When I was a kid in Montana and Wyoming we used to shoot a lot of them, and probably way to many. Years later we would see a few but nothing like we did on our first trip up there.

Don't be that guy!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see many woodchucks here in the North East USA any longer!

I used to get 100's of them each year.

What happened to the woodchucks in New England?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys shot them out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are thousands of rock chucks in S.W. Idaho.
Rent a pickup and drive east toward Mountain Home
They are north of I-84 for ten miles, and south of I-84 all the way to the Duck Creek Indian reservation. If you are patient you can get close enough to handgun them. I'll check around for a guide.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, thanks, but I finally found a place. If you can find a guide I'd appreciate contact info in case my hunt doesn't work out to use next year. Appreciate it.
Wyoming, don't think I shot them out. I left decent numbers on all my farms to have enough to shoot each year. Suddenly, 4 years ago fresh dens became less, sightings became less, and coyote numbers in WV exploded. Now, groundhog holes are not seen in open fields (like they had for last 40+ years I hunted them), but are only in old fence lines, old buildings, and in dense brush. This is the way they are protecting themselves from the coyotes who have wiped them out.

Larry Rogers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go on facebook and look up Seth Simpson. He should be able to guide you here in Idaho, or set you up with someone else.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot.

Larry Rogers