New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Hornet CZ 527 varmint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up this rifle a couple months ago to celebrate a new job. I added a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope with Leupold Medium 30MM rings. The CZ 527 action is a Micro Mauser action with controlled round feeding. The action it's self is not as smooth as it should be but should get better with break in.

The trigger on this rifle is a Single set trigger. You can use it like a normal trigger or you can push the trigger forward setting the trigger. Using the trigger the normal fashion I have a trigger that breaks at 2.5 pounds. As a set trigger it breaks at 14 ounces. Not a hint of creep on either method.
The safety is backwards of the normal. You pull the safety back to shoot.
The barrel of this varmint model is 24" with threads for a suppressor. The rate of twist is 1-9".

Shooting the CZ 527 varmint in the 17 Hornet is a true pleasure. zero recoil, and the scope stays on the target.
The Factory Hornady 20 gr bullets didn't shoot awesome. I was about 1.25" at 100 yards. In fact about everything I shot was 1" or more. I loaded some 25 gr Hornady with no love. The center group is Nosler 20 gr.

My first groups with the 20 gr hornady were 3 shot groups.

Those were very good so I focused on the Hornady 20 gr and tried a lot of powder changes. The 12.2 were just hard to pass up. The two groups at the bottom were just over 1/2". I will take that all day long. Then I shot another 3 shot group like I did before.

After about 100 rounds now I have found that this rifle doesn't like to be cleaned. It likes to run a little dirty and it took a bit to figure that out.
Overall I am very pleased with the rifle. The more I shoot it the better it is shooting. Maybe I am getting used to the recoil. It should make for a very nice ground squirrel and rock chuck rifle. Not to mention it is just plain fun to shoot something that has no kick.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron: Would you mind telling us what case, primer, and overall length you are using? I have the same rifle. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
Ron: Would you mind telling us what case, primer, and overall length you are using? I have the same rifle. Thanks.

I am using Hornady Cases, Federal 200 primers, and a COAL of 1.720
The federal primers were old stock that my Grandpa had. He had given me a brick of 1000 primers.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I am just getting started working up loads for my rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for a couple years now. Drives tacks, kills sage rats, rock chucks and badgers now and then.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty good shooting Ron. Although I don't have the CZ 17 Hornet I do have an older CZ 22 Hornet. I think it's a special order gun for Ron Shirks as it doesn't have the set trigger and it has a rather crappy fiberglass stock. Not synthetic but actually fiberglass. The barrel is a thin sporter weight. My God does it shoot. Using the Hornady 45gr A-Max it shoots consistent .375 solid groups, by that I mean all the bullets are chewing the paper away. I'm using a stiff load of Win 296 powder. Have you tried that powder in your 17? I'm just neck sizing the cases and over 20 years haven't lost a one. I don't like the magazine as with a rimmed case it's kind of rough and with the 22 Hornet doesn't give much leeway into loading the bullet out further because of OAL. I did cut the plastic spacer down some that's in the back of the magazine. I'm really impressed with CZ's rifles.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great rig, Ron. Now you can reach out way beyond where your pellet rifle runs out of steam!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16292 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
That's pretty good shooting Ron. Although I don't have the CZ 17 Hornet I do have an older CZ 22 Hornet. I think it's a special order gun for Ron Shirks as it doesn't have the set trigger and it has a rather crappy fiberglass stock. Not synthetic but actually fiberglass. The barrel is a thin sporter weight. My God does it shoot. Using the Hornady 45gr A-Max it shoots consistent .375 solid groups, by that I mean all the bullets are chewing the paper away. I'm using a stiff load of Win 296 powder. Have you tried that powder in your 17? I'm just neck sizing the cases and over 20 years haven't lost a one. I don't like the magazine as with a rimmed case it's kind of rough and with the 22 Hornet doesn't give much leeway into loading the bullet out further because of OAL. I did cut the plastic spacer down some that's in the back of the magazine. I'm really impressed with CZ's rifles.

I haven't tried 296.
I am just happy as hell with that rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Great rig, Ron. Now you can reach out way beyond where your pellet rifle runs out of steam!

I used a 17HMR last year for some chucks that just could not be killed with the air gun.
This Hornet will give me a few more yards on the HMR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went out last weekend and figured out my MOA drop out to 300 yards. I didn't trust the calculators.
After confirming the drops I shot a 3 shot group at 300 yards. The wind wasn't awful but I held 2 MOA into the wind. I should have held 3 MOA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:
I went out last weekend and figured out my MOA drop out to 300 yards. I didn't trust the calculators.
After confirming the drops I shot a 3 shot group at 300 yards. The wind wasn't awful but I held 2 MOA into the wind. I should have held 3 MOA.

Hey Ron that's pretty good at 300 yards. That small light bullets seems to carry pretty good.

I love my CZ too and I also have another one in American Deluxe 30-06. Fine looking rifle and shoots very well. I wanted one of their Mannlicher stocked rifles in 7x57 or 6.5x55, but they've become scarce and pricey.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the .17 Hornet. I load with 1680 as well using Wilson hand/arbor dies. I have a Savage 25 and a mini Sharps with tang sights that is a pleasure to walk around with. I tried fitting a Unertl scope to it, but it wouldn't work out. I've had my eye on one of these CZs for awhile now. Thinking this is the year to pull the trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 17 Whore-net is kicking ass and taking names on the farms I shoot for.
All they care about is killing the chucks. The 17 does quite well. One farmer had a fox making a den in his pipes. He called me and said get him NOW! I got him with a 150 yard shot.

The chucks are taking the hardest hit. I am at 134 now.
This one was at 348 yards.

These were thinking they were safe at 300 yards.

This big guy took a front chest hit and made it into his hole.

I don't think there is a better varmint rig made.

I did step up in quality for my range finder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron, did you consider the .204 Ruger? If so, what was the deciding factor?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to be honest. The farmer that has the biggest problem said I could borrow his 17 Hornet. He said that was the only powder burner he would allow because there was no chance at bullets ricocheting all over the farm.
Knowing he would allow mine that was the biggest reason I got the hornet. I already have a 223. The 204 just didn't fill a void.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron, I know this thread is some what dated.
What did you end up settling for on a load for the 17HH?
I thought mine was throwing me a fit. Then figured out I had some brass that was pretty heavy,6grains more ! Got that sorted out.
I ended up running IMR 4198 and a 20 grain bullet. The 25’s didnt fly any better for me, so I went with 20’s.

Don’t rule out the 204 till you try one. I honestly don’t know why I still have a 22-250.

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I settled on 12.2 grains of 1680 with a 20 gr Hornady V-max. I was cleaning the rifle a lot and someone recommended that I NOT clean it. I have not cleaned it for several hundered rounds and it is a one shot wonder. I never have to shoot more than once at a chuck. I am over 400 now for the year.