New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for .22 hornet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What bullets do you guys use for prarie dogs in the 22 Hornet?

I've tried factory winchester 45 gr and my loaded hornady 35 gr Vmax. So far ive foung the winchesters to hit with more oomph, they send the pdogs flying a couple feet, but the Vmax seem to kill the pdogs better.

Are there any other good bullets i should try?

thanks,
Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the sierra 45gr projectiles they offer a little more penetration for the game I shoot. They shoot under an inch in my cz hornet as well.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use the Sierra 45 gr Hornet bullet. It is one accurate bullet and explosive.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stronics I agree with you that they are explosive but do you find they penetrate a little better than the winchester 46 gr hollowpoints ?.I heart shot a large ... a couple of months back for meat and the bullet went through the chest and then through the middle of the spine leaving a small fist sized exit wound. It dropped exactly were it was, range was around 110 yards. I was really suprised. The win hp has not exited on similar shots.

------------------

[This message has been edited by PC (edited 05-16-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet_Proof,

This is a very good question with alot of variables. First off, what rifle/handgun are you using? I shoot the Ruger M77/22H and this rifle limits the oal of the Hornet because of the box magazine.

I have used the following bullets and I will give a breif performance desciption of each.

30 Gr. Calhoon DblHP- Have loaded to near 3400 fps out of the Rugers 20" barrel. Accuracy out to 100 yards is adiquate for hunting gopher size targets at that range, anything beyond and they are not a good choice. Stictly a small varmint bullet with very explosive expansion at closer ranges with little penetration. Very good for hunting in populated areas, very little bullet bounce.

35 gr. V-Max- Bullet I use most in my Hornet. Load to 3100 fps with H-110 and H-LilGun. Accuracy good out to 200 yards on calm day. Again strictly a small varmint bullet, explosive expansion, little penetration.

40 gr. V-Max & Ballistic Tip- Very good bullets for larger varmints, i.e., chucks, fox and even coyotes. Good expansion, good penetration for a tipped bullet and high B.C. for flatter trajectory and retained energy. Load to 3050 fps with H-LilGun with 1" 100 yard groups. Must be loaded single shot in my Hornet because they are to long for magazine. I prefer these bullets for larger varmints, even over the traditional 45-46gr SP and HP bullets.

37 and 42 gr Calhoon Dbl HP- Both very good bullets that expand great and penetrate enough for game the size of coyotes. I would prefer the 42 gr because it is a stouter bullet then the 37 gr pill for larger varmints. Can load from 3000-3100 fps.

50 gr. V-Max & Ballistic Tip- Can be useful for hunting larger game at closer ranges. I have loaded them to 2800 fps with decent groups. They do expand pretty well for this bullet weight and penetrate good as well. Still I feel this is a bit heavy for a Hornet.

Recent tests I have done this spring has made me realize that for varmint hunting with my Hornet, the 40gr V-Max is perhaps the best bullet for my needs. If I were to use a bullet for larger game, I would use the 42 gr Calhoon bullets since they can be loaded in the magazine.

Good Hunting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I'm shooting a savage 342 and so far my loads have been 1.780 inches and they fit in the magasine and shoot pretty well. I dont have my sidemout yet so i haven't tested for groupings, I've just shot with open sites so my shots on gophers haven't been past 100 yds.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To everyone

I agree with all that has been said , I found that the Nosler ballistic tip works like a gem in my CZ , also not enough can be said for the sierra 45 gr hornet , best ten shot group so far at a 100 yds was just under .5 inches . I am currently working up loads with 35 gr V-Maxes . I have found the 50 gr sierras to group & penetrate very well around the 2300 - 2400 fps range. For dassies ( guess similar size to your p dogs , weighs around 2 - 5 Kilos )I use the 40 gr Nosler ballsitic tips , simply explosive & have ripped those critters in halve at ranges over a 100 yds :-)

Regards
Rudie Potgieter

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
I shoot a Ruger 77/22VHZ. I like the 40 grain bullets best. I've gotten very good accuracy with the Hornady V-Maxes, Berger 22/40MEF's, and the Starke 40 grain Hollow Point Flat Base varmint bullets. My Ruger hated the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I load 13 grains of Lil'Gun and use a Federal #100 small pistol primer.
Regards, George

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I use the Hornady 40gr and 35gr V Max and they work fine on groundhog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys,
Im heading out to shoot some pdogs this weekend, ill use my 35 gr vmaxes again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Ruger VHZ and use 40 gr V-Max and 13.0 grs of Lil-Gun, federal small pistol primers and R-P cases. These loads go between 2925-2975 according to my chronograph. My best groups are under 1". Also I tried some 50 gr TNT's with 13.0 gr of Lil-Gun and they shot even better group wise. I didn't have a chronograph then but imagine they were in the 26-2700 range somewhere. I'm going to buy some more and check the speed. 13.0 grains isn't a hot or particularly fast load but case life will be it's own reward

------------------

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
The 45 grainers don't come through a woodchuck. They do go through the crows easy enough.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<re5513>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bullet_Proof:
[QB]What bullets do you guys use for prarie dogs in the 22 Hornet?

Since you request information on prairie dogs with the Hornet I'll give you my experience.

I shoot a Ruger M77/22VHZ Hornet and have tried most of the sierra bullets mentioned here. While accurate, I found that in Colorado it is often windy and to get good, consistent hits on dogs I've consciously decided to shoot heavier bullets in my Ruger. At about 2600 fps the 50 gr. V-Max has the approximate trajectory of my '06 and thus easily tags pdogs out to 200 yards and a little beyond. I just went out over memorial day weekend and had a pretty good showing against my sons who were using a .223 and a 6mm BR. My pet load is Remington brass, 10.0 gr. of AA#9, Rem 7 1/2 BR primer and a Hornady moly coated 50 gr. V-max tip. It shoots under .5" in my rifle for 3 shots at 100 yards. I've flipped dogs out to 220 yards, shot them in the eye ball at 35 yards when they hid in their holes and think they're safe. It's a great combination for dogs in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stroncis I shoot plenty of rabbits with my hornet, are they smaller/bigger than a prarie dog??

I always get exits with the sierra 45 gr sn out to as far as I can hit them. I hit a hare at 230 yards one time and got an exit as well.

Are you driving them heaps faster than I am?? I think mine are around 2650-2700 (11 gr win 296 & rem 7 1/2 primer), therefore ther not holding together.

<squirrel skinner>
posted
Brett,
I like to use the CCI 55 grain 22hornet bullets,
there a PSP(pointed soft point)so you get massive expansion, But you don't really get a ballistic inferiorty complex. And there cheaper than dirt, I got 2000 for $30 and they deliver great groupings for me, less than an 1" at 100 yards.
skinner

<Monkeyman>
posted
Don't overlook the Hornady 45gr Hornet bullet either. I found they expanded more reliably than the Win and Rem SP and HP bullets but penetrated better than the 40gr V-max and Berger bullets. I even use them in my Fireball with excellent accuracy. At the price they're worth a try. On a 20lb Green Monkey I'll get a big exit wound 80% of the time, occasionally they don't come out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Squirrel Skinner: Say that again, please. The part about a CCI (?) 55 grain (?) Hornet (?) bullet at $15 per thousand (?). We all need to know more.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing we're talking rabbit size or a bit bigger here????

I've used a number of different projectiles with my Savage 340 while trying for the elusive "sweet load":

Bulk 40-gr Win mag projjies: gave me 4 inch groups at best! 'Nuff said.

Hornady 45 gr BEE: see comments above!

Sierra 40 gr HP: Excellent accuracy and oomph; but, I had some 50-grainers given to me that were absolutely superb in my Hornet -- at almost 2900 fps they gave me 0.4" groups consistently.

Sierra 40-gr Hornet: Eh -- comme ci, comme ca -- OK, but run out of steam too quickly for me.

Speer 40-gr spire points: Accurate enough; but they seem to lose the plot -- like most other dumpy little projjies -- beyond 100 yeards.

Nosler 45-gr solid base Hornet: couldn't blow these up even with overloads out of my .223! -- and they gave MOA accuracy! In my experience, they penetrate deeper than the others.

Hornady 40-gr V-Max: excellent accuracy and top "oomph" factor. Have had them stop inside a fox -- sideways -- with massive internal damage.

Sierra 40-gr BlitzKing: as for the Hornadys, but perhaps -- in my rifle -- even slightly more accurate at longer ranges; e.g. <3" group at 200 yards.

50-gr FMJ origin unknown -- just for fun: abysmal, to say the least [Smile] 6" groups and nil expansion.

I've used projectiles up to 55-grains weight -- 1 out of 30 keyholed through the target, and accuracy was poor, indicating they were on the edge of destabilising.

Up to 52-grainers; bthp target; I have had no problems. Brass is on its 7th or 8th reload and primers are still tight.

WW brass, WSR primers, W296 powder -- all loaded to just barely fit in the magazine.

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us in on the secret were do you get the cci hornet bullets [Wink]