Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

222Rem Loads
 Login/Join

posted
I have a tikka .222 rem and was wondering what everyones favorite .222 loads are? (pls be specific powder amount/type, bullet weight/type, brass,primers)

Any help would be appreciated thanks alot,

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma brass, CCI BR Small Rifle primers, H322 powder, and 52 brain Brunos or Berger MEFs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester neck turned, flash hole and primer pocket uniformed brass, CCI BR primer, IMR4895 powder and 40 gr. V-Max bullets just short of touching the lands.

This is a very accurate load in my rifle however l plan to also try some VVN-133 powder but haven't done any load development yet.

It is easy to find a good 222 load.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Abhunter: Asking for specificity in a favorite load is not particularly useful. Barrels, chambers, rifling, etc. vary, making every gun a rule to itself.

It's actually much more useful to speak in generalities on this subject, so that the experiences of the group can point you in the right direction in coming up with best load for your gun.

Here are some things in my observations in loading for the .222 which may be helpful to you:

1. Loading manuals are very conservative for this round (but the small powder volume means that you should work up in commensurately small increments). If loaded to the same pressures as it's stablemates, the .223 and .222 Magnum, most guns will happily accept a grain or so over most loading manuals' top, at least with powders in the medium burning range.

2. I have had great luck with H-335 and H4895. The classic .222 powder, IMR 4198 gives good velocities (and acceptable accuracy), but velocity spreads are high.

3. The .222 was designed for 50 grain bullets. While it will certainly do a good job with 40 to 55's, the 50 seems good all around. Speer TNT's are very accurate, devastatingly expansive, and fairly economical.

4. Brass lasts a long time, and I haven't found any brass that performs poorly. While some people don't care for nickeled brass, I really like RP Nickel in the .222.

5. Even with loads at higher than standard pressures, you should never need to do any more than neck size for your Tikka. If you do, then your pressures are too high.

Now, after saying all of that, if you must know, my most outstanding load for my Sako is 25 grains of H-335 under a 50 grain Speer TNT assembled in neck-sized RP nickel brass, sparked by a WW small rifle (standard) primer; velocity is 3200 fps. DON'T just duplicate this load and expect miracles. Work up to it, observing accuracy, bolt lift, brass markings, and primer signs. While it does .3 minute groups in my gun, it may not shoot worth a dry turd in your's.

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help im sorry I did ask the wrong question it should have been does anyone have any good loading info on the 222 rem

thanks keep em coming

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABHUNTER:
I have a tikka .222 rem and was wondering what everyones favorite .222 loads are? (pls be specific powder amount/type, bullet weight/type, brass,primers)

Any help would be appreciated thanks alot,

Chris

One of my favorite load is 21.5/imr4198 with a rem 7 1/2 and a 50 or 52 bullet of your choice. For brass I use either win or rem. I've got 4 222 and another load that is shooting great in all four is 21.6/8208 with a 52 gr berger bullet and federal match primers. Also Starke bullets shoot as well. I use either rem or win brass. I think any good 52 gr bullet would shoot good. I've never found much good in sorting brass or weight etc for the 222 as mine like just about anything. I've tried V-133 and it was ok. I've never used any laupa brass for the 222 either. Well good luck!

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
WW760, 26 GR. 40GR VMAX WW SMALL RIFLE PRIMER, REM BRASS SAKO PRE VIXEN.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still playing having answered just this question in January.

For me it's 20.9gr VVN120 in Sako brass with CCI BR primers and Hornady 40gr Vmax. 3,600fps and 0.3". It's an amazing little bullet not even passing through a red fox.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The great shooting 222 world record holder cartridge is very easy to get superior groups from. Mine shoots great with 40 to 50 grain bullets. Imr-4895, H-322, Benchmark, BLC#2, Imr-4198 and the list goes on. Some of my best groups come from 24.0 grs IMR-4895 powder winchester brass, remington primers, 1 in 14" twist. Once you find the seating depth your rifle likes the rest is extremely easy to produce tiny consistant groups in any well made 222 rifle. I will replace my present barrel with a heavy barrel in the near future. If you want very tight groups you must have a heavy barrel to get those results.

<MMA10mm>
posted
My 222 loves IMR-8208. I've played with a wide, and sometimes silly (Win680) range of powders in the 222, and the advice above about trying several is good.

I think H322 (which IMR-8202 is the mil-surplus version of) is generally considered to be "the best" for accuracy, but I've had good success with RL-7, AA-2015BR, and IMR-4198 too. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the new powders like Benchmark would turn in good groups also (but I've not tried it).

<Chuck66>
posted
Try AA1680 with 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.
My load is 23gr. @3730fps and .4in. groups.
I also use Fed 205M primers it seemed to help with fliers. Winchester brass for me.

Chuck

<Jayboid>
posted
I just reloaded some virgin Norma brass for shooting in a Remington 722. I used Hornady 40, and 50 grain V-Max bullets. I have no clue what the red tip does, but it seems to give my 14 year old son more interest in reloading, plus the round looks good when done. I used 21 grains of Hodgdon 322 in both loads, with CCI Small rifle primers. Again, the rifle is important, but these handloads are much better than any factory I've shot though. A perfect flat shooting varmint round. We did not notice a difference in accuracy in either the 40 or 50 grain bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bee using Accurate Data 2200 powder in my 222 ground squirrel loads. With 50gr RemHPs it produces very good accuracy. It also has worked very well for me in the 223. An 8# jug runs just under 50 bucks, and that is nice too.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
AA2230 works well, 52 grain custom bullet,1 to 10 twist. Try it you'll like it! Good Luck