New
Find
Notify
Tools

PD shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i wasn't able to get out tis year so for those who did how was your shoot this year?

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to eastern Wy in May. It was not real good. Not sure why. First day, weather was perfect, warm, sunny and almost no wind. Day two, windy and less shooting.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Did my annual pd shoot/trip to north central Montana on a private ranch. was pretty damn hot this year, one topping out at 105 degrees. did really well with my .223 rifles, not so much with the .204 and tried out my new .224 Valkyrie bolt gun with good success. since I was there solo, had all the dog towns and dogs to myself. even shot a record number of doubles and a single triple this year. now i have to wait again until next year.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately our eastern Montana rancher got plagued out and that trip was cancelled. Shot SD in May and had a good shoot. Luckily our 3 days were clear but rain befor and after. Used 22 Hornet,20 Ackley Hornet,20 VarTarg, 223 and 204. Lots of wind but that’s to be expected.

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Used 22 Hornet,20 Ackley Hornet,20 VarTarg, 223 and 204.

Those are some great little calibers. I used to shoot PD's with a .22-250 and a .243 but eventually learned that its more fun with a Fireball or a Vartarg. Can hit 'em just about as far with much less stress. Cheaper bullets, cheaper powder, and less recoil and muzzle blast. What's not to like?

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bisonhunter--What was the problem with the .204?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
the 204 caliber is a great round, I think it was my rifle and the hand loads I used for it. While I hit pds with it, just not as consistently as with my pair of Ruger .223's (the 204 is also a Ruger). Over this next year I hope to rework some of the ,204 loads for this gun.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
White-tail PD shooting along the western Colorado/Utah border was quite spotty this year. The Richardson Ground Squirrel ('Wyoming Ground Squirrel') shooting I did this year on private property was quite good. Have shot over 10K the past two years (and am making the F250 payments for my barrel 'smith; Dan Dowling)

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idahos running out of rock chucks and PDs..Poison probably, farmers? I hate poison, its not selective..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Last August '22, my three brother in laws and I did a dog shoot in Northwestern SD, Perkins Co. Bro. is law is connected in that area, former farm/ranch owner, he sold out but still has a lot of buddy's up there. He had us on roughly 6 sections of dogs all connected his buddy owns. Rifles: 2 Ruger #1's semi-customs I built in 204 Ruger, 1 production Ruger #1 in 204 Ruger and a Ruger 77 in 17 WSM? Which was interesting out to 250, beyond that, pretty iffy. The 204 customs with the K&P barrels where just crazy fun to shoot, I went 44 dogs straight before a miss. Low recoil, very little report, suppressed is where it's at on a dog town. My longest kill came at 580, a good poke with a 204. In 2-1/2 days we ran thru 4k rounds of .204 it was a hoot of a shoot for sure.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bet that sounded like a war zone.

Wow, 1000 rounds each?

I've shot just less than 5 hundred in a day.
barrels get very warm with one rifle.

Glad you had a great shoot. A 580yd shot is doing well, even if But Once.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote