New
Find
Notify
Tools

6PPC maximun range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering what the maximum range, under optimum conditions, with the right handloads, I can expect out of a Sako Varminter 6PPC might be?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Explain maximum range? Target, game, or maximum point of impact? A 70 gr. Matchking will stay supersonic from my 26 in. barrel to almost 1000 yards (at least, according to the computer, never having had a reason to try). Drop at 1,000, again, according to the computer is about 40 m.o.a. That same bullet will stay above 1800 fps (minimum impact speed for many hunting bullets) to about 500 yards. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lady who uses it quite sucessfully at 600M while shooting Highpower! I don't know if she shoots across the course with it or not as I don't go to those matches.

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 01:51: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Centerpunch, I use a 1/12 Shilen. Have to admit, though, that the Matchking doesn't come close to what even the Ballistic tip does for me. About .5 is the best ag. I've ever shot with the Matchking. I think the Matchking needs more pressure than I can give it in my Falling Block. For bug holes, I use every-day Bergers (70's) over h322. For plinking, the 55 B-tips are fantastic. My best group with them was in the 1's. I'm shooting a sporter, so you benchrest guys quite snickering, already......

I guess you never know what works in your gun. I can't get VV133 to work properly, either. Go figure. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I meant maximun effective range on game. Now that will vary obviously if youre shooting p dog sized animals or wild pigs, but overall I want to ask what what range can I expect the 6PPC to propell bullets, with enough accuracy and speed for them to still perform.
One other thing, does anyone here shoot larger game, like pigs for instance, in varmint situations?
I mean head shots with small calibers at long range.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 01:55: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

<Ten x Reloads>
posted
HELLO
BARRY HERE
One of my Critter Getter rifles is a
kimber model 84 ... It is a 6ppc and is a factory stock setup ... It is a 1 in 14 twist (S.S.) 26 inch barrel and shoots hogs out to 400 yards with little to no problems ... I use nos 55 gr. sitting on top of 31 gr of 2015br powder, fed match primer ... The round is out to the rifling but still in the case by .175 ...
This is all held togeather with a Norma case that is very lightly neck turned ... This pushes that round at 3835fps.. works great!!
Failure to kill outright is rare , you must hit them in the upper body area or they can still drag themself pretty far before they die... This gun will shoot .15 to .5 at 100yds on calm days.
The size of the groups that you can shoot will be your limiting factor with anything that you are shooting.. practice practice practice....
PUT THEM ALL IN THE X AT THE BENCH AND PUT THEM ALL TO REST IN THE FEILDS !!!! GOOD LUCK!! BARRY

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
As far as effectiveness on game, it depends a little on what bullet. Shooting a Nosler partition 85 gr. Pointblank predicts 1800 fps impact velocity at 450 yards, with about 600 fps of energy. For a headshot, that's enough, but I would hold myself to about 300 yards. Then again, I can't shoot for $hi#.

Seems Barnes d.c.'d the 75 gr. X bullet, so I went another direction. They don't make a TBBC, and the PPC is a little too small for the 85 gr. Partition, IMHO.

I had my wife use my PPC on antelope with Gerards 62 gr. HV, and it was delicious. About 3400 fps (loaded very mild), and very effective on game. I think that combination is a bona fide winner, even though right now it seems that the bullet is made from that rarest of metals, unobtainium....... If I shoot that load with my computer [Big Grin] , it is still flying at 2000 fps at 500 yards. FWIW, Dutch.

<Aussie Hunter>
posted
Hi Express,

I have Sako 75 in stainless varmint in 6PPC. It was incorrectly supplied with a 1 in 14" twist.
It shoots 0.25 MOA @ 200 m with 58gr Vmax 29.2gr Benchmark 2, ~3300fps. The Nosler 55gr also shoots well. I tried the 75gr Barnes X but it did not stabilise. In fact I tried several 85gr boat tail projectiles and was bitterly disapointed. I bout this unit more for hunting than target shooting. The heaviest weight that has worked with 0.8MOA is thge Remington 80gr Cor-lokt. These are tough little bullets; not as glamorous looking as the boat tail versions. I have a replacement barrel supposed to be coming from Sako Finland under warranty in the near future. I would say that 1:12 (correct twist) is probably the all-rounder. Should do upto 90grainers for close to 3000fps!
Aussie Hunter