THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: 223's & 75 grain A Max on Varmints

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 223's & 75 grain A Max on Varmints
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No One replied to this, so I guess I just had to find out myself.

Went out today with a batch of these loaded in one of the 223s. At 100 to 200 yds, it made a real mess out of ground squirrels. Bulllet is very accurate.

Recommend it for those that like to take those long shots.
Definitely adds range to a 223.

However you need a 1 in 8 twist. I do know several people who shoot it in Savages with a 1 in 9 twist that does very well.

All hits I examinated the carcass on were literally cut in half.

Did try out RL 15 that is definitely Minute of Ground Squirrel to 250 yds. However,. range testing the round, I would highly suggest starting with Varget and then H 4895 for this round/bullet combo over any other powder

Cheers and Good shooting.
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Seafire,

I don't know much about the 223's with the 75gr Amax but I do know about the Amax bullets. I have had several guns built around the Amax bullets and have been very pleased with the results. I have a 22/6mm Ackley with a 1-8" twist barrel that shoots like a laser. I get 3750 FPS out of this rifle with the 75gr Amax and it sure does a nimber on chucks. This gun sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds is only 4" low at 400yds and 14" at 500yds. This rifle is a coyotes worst nightmare. It's taken us a while to get used to shooting a rifle that shoots this flat.

I use the 105gr Amax's in my 243AI and 6mmAI, the 140gr Amax in my 6.5/06 and a friends 6.5x55 Swede, 162 Amax in my 7-08 and 7mm Rem Mag, 168gr Amax in my 308 an 30/06, and the 178gr Amax in my 300 Win Mags. I use all these rifles for varmint hunting and the Amax hasn't let me down yet. Out of all my varmint rifles, I like my 6.5/06 with the 140gr Amax the best. Very accurate at long range and the bullet hasn't let me down yet.

Good luck with your project. It should work out great for you. Catch you later,

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dog,

Sounds like you are a good customer for Hornady. On a quick scan, you didn't leave any particular bullet out did ya?

Yeah, I like them in the 223.

I also shoot a 6mm Remington. Mine is not an Ackley.

My velocity is only about 3500 to 3600 range when I push it some. I have hit 3700 but the rifle was throwing them all over the place.

Good luck shooting up there in WA.

Cheers.
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Big Dog,I have a 22/6mm also, wondering what you use for powder and charge.I use Re22 and federal mag primers with the 75 grain A-Max.
Thanks Walt

Posts: 7 | Location: Sparrowbush,New York,orange | Registered: 02 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This year i have take a roe-deer with .223 and 75 amax. It was broadside at 210 meters, the bullet entered behind the shoulder betwen ribs and went out breaking 3 rib with a big hole. The muzzle speed was about 2850fps.
I really liked the performance

Posts: 22 | Location: Italy | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 75 AMAXs in my .220 Swift. Has half the wind drift of a 55 grain bullet at extended ranges.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 75 grain A-Max adds appreciably to the effectiveness of the .223 Rem. on coyotes and such as longer ranges. I've used it in everything from a 1:8 custom Contender barrel (26") to factory and custom bolt guns, and that particular bullet has never disappointed me.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with this bullet as well in 1 in 9 twist Douglas XX barreld 223 finished at 24". I use 25 gr of VV N540 in Win. brass with Rem. 7 1/2M primers for 2925 fps avg. and sub .5 MOA. I have shot that load to 1K and it is still super sonic at that distance with good accuracy. I did kill on whitetail doe with two years ago. The doe went about 40 yards and went down. Double lung shot and the exit wound was about the size of a quarter. The bullet went between 2 ribs on the entrance side and broke a rib on the way out. Ths shot was a little over 100 yards. It should equally well on coyotes at longer ranges.

PaPa 260....May I be half the man my grandsons think I am.

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget and 75 AMAX's shoot awsomely out of my Savage 12 BVSS 223 with 1-9 twist. I shoot to 500 meters at my range with very tight groups.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Varget in my Swift too (1-9 twist as well).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot Highpower competition here in Montana. A lot of guys shoot the Amax bullets in all calibers. They shoot great. They will come unzipped though. A high velocity with a fast twist means a poof of dust about 200 yards out of the barrel. I and others have seen it many times. It is actually very cool to see. The guys it happens to normally switch to Matchkings. The new .224 90 gr. Matchking seems to do the same thing. It is the first sierra bullet I have seen blow up. It is new and Sierra is aparently addressing the problem. Those plastic tips on the amax can get deformed if not treated with care in handling. A very accurate bullet though.A friend of mine who shoots a 6mm PPC out of a Spacegun bought a bunch of the 105 amax's off another friend with a .243 who was unzipping them. They sat and watched at a 600 yd. slow fire prone match while the guy un-zipped about 10 in a row before giving up. Not one impact in the target. The 243 was making roughly 3000 fps where the 6PPC only does like 2650 and shoots the amax great.Both guns have the same twist, like one in 7.5 if I remember right. Definately no faster than 1 in 8.