New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frangible bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for the most frangible bullet for a 300 blackout at subsonic velocities. Shooting around livestock, pivots, farm houses and such at night. Don't need any "collateral damage" as they say. Thank you for any suggestions.

Posts: 1051 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Speer TNT 125gr is the most frangible bullet that I have used, but haven't used it in my 300BLK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can try finding some surplus pulled military 30 cal frangible bullets. If I am not mistaken they were about 108 grns. I think they were designated M-106.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Barnes MPG out of a 300 Savage. http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/mpg/
I have not used subsonic but at 200 yards did a test hitting the dirt in front of cardboard and they broke up.

I did a search, the military ones were M160, http://www.inetres.com/gp/mili...ifle/762mm_ammo.html

Mark

Posts: 1224 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I'm quite sure that the MPG is dependent on velocity to disrupt the core. That bullet weighs 150 grains in 30 caliber. I'm sure you could get it to shoot subsonic but I don't know if those low velocities would be enough to break it up. I know the .310 diameter 110 grain bullet for the 7.62 X 39 will shoot in a .308 bore without being over pressure. Call the Technical help line at Barnes and get a safe starting load before doing this because I don't have one. The smaller bullet may disrupt at the subsonic velocities Eny is trying to get. It may be worth a try. The .310 dia. bullet would be a better varmint bullet at supersonic speeds also. You could get them going a lot faster than the 150 grain projectile.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't quite understand the drawing of the M160 projectile . Typical sintered metal is made from metal powder which is compacted then sintered [heated] which bonds the particles.You can change the fragility with changes in temperature etc.
You would have to rupture the jacket also,
Other than sintered you would have to make something like the old Speer ,coffee cup in 45acp.Hollow pointabout 1/4",thin jacket scored in 12 places .Close range that would not penetrate through a chuck with shoulder/spine hit.That's the most fragile I've used It also was too fragile for LEO work as they soon dropped production.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, have been looking for a frangible bullet for .300 Blackout. I have used the .223 frangible made by RWS and am pleased with its performance on hogs in corral traps - no exits, but they go down immediately and any shots to the vitals kill quickly. Like the op, I am trying to avoid pass throughs and potential damage to the trap/camera/feeder/etc. and the sintered round does a good job at that. Some ammo manufacturer is missing an opportunity - the relatively low velocity of the .300 Blk would lend itself well to application of this bullet design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered something smaller than a 300 cal cartridge? A 222/223 with 50gr Hornady SX's would do well. I hve a 243 that I shoot 75gr V-Max in. Found out at 200tds the bullet's were blowing up going through a target paper nd 2" Styrofoam. I would think that the 300 Black Out using 30 cal bullet's, even 110gr would not work as well as you might want.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried the MPGs, found one 200 yards beyond my 50 yard target, slightly deformed after bouncing off of the dirt. Using 200 sierra target bullets now, will report after use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
220 sierra match, no expansion on coyote 20yards, could hear ricochet after pass though. going to try 190gr CEBs next

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Charlie78 said !Speer TNT
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't find any data for 125s at subsonic speeds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 190gr CEB subsonics work great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd give the varmageddons from nosler a try.
they come right apart at higher velocity's but they have a large initiator tip that should break them up at lower velocity's too.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
they come right apart at higher velocity's but they have a large initiator tip that should break them up at lower velocity's too.

Not sure of any subsonic load data for bullets that light. I am often shooting very near livestock. they don't seem to react much if I shoot non suppressed in the day and they are aware of my presence. the night is a different situation altogether.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

Not sure of any subsonic load data for bullets that light. I am often shooting very near livestock. they don't seem to react much if I shoot non suppressed in the day and they are aware of my presence. the night is a different situation altogether.

Try using Trail Boss to get the speeds you want.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll look into that. CEBs kill good, but there is still a projectile ricocheting after the pass thru.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've played with a bunch of different bullets at subsonic velocities. Having an Encore opened up a bunch of ideas for bullets and powders that were not options in an AR platform. I've had good success with any of the LeHigh bullets. They do EXACTLY what they claim to do. Very pleased with their performance. The problem with subsonic velocities is that 99.9% of 30 cal bullets will not expand at those speeds and simply act like solids. For that matter when shooting ANY supersonic cartridge I want 1800fps of impact velocity.....

Back to 300blk.... even the LeHigh projectiles still have a shank that will pass through after expansion.

I've come closest to finding the bullet performance I was looking for using pistol bullets over trail boss. Running a Liberty Freedom suppressor they are unbelievably quiet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 110 grain Speer HP .308 bullet made for the 30 carbine is one soft bullet! I will expand nicely at 300 Blackout velocities. Basically made to pistol specs and not streamlined at all. Speer part number 1835.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use the same bullets on coyotes as we use on Rockchucks and they are all explosive..They are all identified as varmint bullets by the maker and they all are fragile..Lightes bullet in whatever caliber is usually the varmint bullet, and they work real well. The get inside a coyote and blow up, no exit hole. Kill like a lightening strike.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found some 110 gr. .308 frangible bullets for reloading on FrangibleBullets.com. Ordered some to try (shipping is UPS Ground only so almost as high as the bullets). Will try to report back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw this post. I'm a bullet tester for Lehigh Defense.com for the last 5-6 years. My sole purpose is to test bullets in the .300 Whisper (subsonic). They've made a lot of bullets that I tested that didn't work.
The real deal is the 170 gr. Controlled Fracturing Subsonic. It's a .30 cal. HP bullet with 4 slits around the nose that break off when hitting the animal. A bonus is a .17 cal. bullet that is in the hollow point.
When game is hit the nose fractures in 4 pedals, the .17 cal. goes its merry way and the solid base goes its way. You get 6 wound channels. Very effective.
I've taken over 100 deer and 200 varmints with my Whisper. This is the only subsonic bullet that I've dropped deer in their tracks (about 85%).
JD Jones developed the Whisper with the 240 gr. Sierra HPBT Match. It's pretty good on deer, but they do run. A better bullet is the 220 gr. Sierra RN. It's super on deer and varmints and much cheaper than the Lehigh.
Most subsonic rounds kill by tumbling. Loading lighter(shorter) bullets negates the tumbling and very few will expand at lower velocities. Plus, their arc when firing is so different from the heavy bullets that they don't shoot at the same point of aim.
I've taken deer with JD's 6.5, .338, .375, and .500 Whispers. The .500 is good with Hornady AMaxes, but very expensive to reload. The .300 out performs all the others.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks WV, still working through my box of CEBs, will try the lehigh next. CEBs kill great, but i sometimes hear ricochet on pass through on coyotes inside 25 yards. I can't imagine they go far, but still need to be careful around the farm. would be nice if they came completely apart when they hit the ground, but maybe that is asking for too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eny, only time I've heard ricochets is with Sierra 240 gr. HPBT. Maybe one ever with Lehighs. The .17 cal. bullet and pedals stay in deer. The base exits about 25% of the time.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote