posted Hide Post
My go-to in my Savage FCV is:

39gr Sierra BK (BC 287)
27.5gr Varget
CCI 400 or Tula Primer
Nosler Brass

5 shots <0.5 MOA
3800 fps

I’ve been told that the 204 really shines with 32 grain bullets, buts I haven’t found a combinaion of bullet and propellant that is nearly as good as the Sierra.

And I've never heard of or read about a .204 that would not shoot that bullet.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
BL-C(2) is also a good powder for the .204 Ruger.

I have a load that I use with it...but can’t track down the notes on it right this second. I know a lot of .204 shooters using BL-C(2).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36476 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Rem 700 rifles in 204R.
I use Benchmark powder in both. For PDs I use 32 plastic tip bullets.
For coyotes, 35 Berger.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
BL-C(2) is also a good powder for the .204 Ruger.

I have a load that I use with it...but can’t track down the notes on it right this second. I know a lot of .204 shooters using BL-C(2).

Yup, my standard load is 30 BL-C(2) under a 32 gr Hornady VMax. I tried the 40 gr bullets as well but they don't shoot as well as the 32 grain bullets.

On high volume calibers like the .204, .223, etc I work up loads with spherical powders only since they meter so well..

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'vve been using h335 and the 32gr sierra

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester cases that have been accurized with 27gr. of Vitha N140 and Sierra 39gr Blitzkings in a Cooper 21. It will easily shoot in the 3's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried Hodgdon CFE223 in the .204 Ruger?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:

I use it in a .223; is very accurate (as is H335). Not sure why it wouldn't work in a .204. I use BL-C(2) simply because I have about nine lbs of it right now.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
I have.
It works just fine though I prefer Varget.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40gr VMax, 24.5 R10x. Laser beam accurate in my 527.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input on CFE222. I have several pounds so I think I will try it first. I use a lot of BL-C(2) in the .222 and .223 so will try it next.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not the .204 and not BL-C2, but in the very similar .20 Tactical I use the very similar WC 846 with 32 grain bullets.

There are several "stick" powders which might work well in terms of burning characteristics, but a ball powder flows through the tiny neck a lot easier.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I use
40 grain Berger
28.1 Varget
Federal Match Primer
Remington Brass
in my Browning A-bolt

Very Accurate!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Varget, but it doesn't meter like spherical powders. BL-C(2), CFE, and H335 are almost always spot on and never more than .1 grain (and that is pretty rare). I can't say the same for Varget. I use a Redding BR-2 measure.

For LR shooting I scale every charge, but I am not going to do that for high volume shooting.

Are you guys using a measure for Varget or scaling?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I combine both methods. I agree that trying to meter Varget accurately is a royal pain. So I use my Lyman to throw a weight that is slightly below what I want and I weigh it. I then take a few kernels from a small glass container of Varget and add kernels until my (Lyman M-5) balance beam scale indicates I've got what I want. If I overshoot, I simply pick a few kernels off the pan.

That scale is superb and I am spoiled by it. I bought it from Scott Parker who tunes scales as, I believe, a side business. Mine is sensitive to 1 kernel (!) of stick powder and is beautifully damped (it settles in just a couple of seconds), it is reproducible and linear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I combine both methods. I agree that trying to meter Varget accurately is a royal pain. So I use my Lyman to throw a weight that is slightly below what I want and I weigh it. I then take a few kernels from a small glass container of Varget and add kernels until my (Lyman M-5) balance beam scale indicates I've got what I want. If I overshoot, I simply pick a few kernels off the pan.

That scale is superb and I am spoiled by it. I bought it from Scott Parker who tunes scales as, I believe, a side business. Mine is sensitive to 1 kernel (!) of stick powder and is beautifully damped (it settles in just a couple of seconds), it is reproducible and linear.

When I scale powder I do exactly as you do. Most of the .223 I shoot is my weekly 10 shots offhand at 100 yards practice, so I sure don't need perfect accuracy. That said, spherical measures almost perfectly every time I have checked it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:When I scale powder I do exactly as you do. Most of the .223 I shoot is my weekly 10 shots offhand at 100 yards practice, so I sure don't need perfect accuracy. That said, spherical measures almost perfectly every time I have checked it.

In deference to my OCD, I must admit that I use this technique with all my rifle cartridges. I’m practiced enough that I can move fairly quickly. Of the propellants I’ve tried, the only onw that really slows me down is Benchmark. It’s like flour.

And now, I must own up to a major failing, an inconsistency in my loading procedures: I load for a bunch of handgun cartridges: .380, 9mm, .38 Spl., .357 Mag and .45 acp. I use a RCBS 2000 progressive press and an RCBS powder measure without a qualm at all. I do not use this press with my rifle cartridges.

But common-sense logic tells me I’m an idiot: My powder measures are good to ±0.5 grains, which is of zilch importance for me when I’m loading for even small-capacity capacity rifle cartridges (0.5 ÷ 23 = .02, or ÷2%). But with handgun cartridges (say a .380), that variation would seem to be much more significant: (0.5 ÷ 3.7 = .14, or ÷14%).

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I now measure almost all my powder loads with a Lyman DPS powder measure. Each powder charge is weighed to .10 of a grain.

Bulk pistol loads are an exception.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is cold down in Ft Worth this morning at 22 degrees, so I thought I would post a few pictures of my reloader made in 1989 for traveling on the road Rving.

The 204 that I made shoots very well with Reloader 10 with Hornady 40 gr with 25.1 grs of pwd. The last loads I shot for group put 5 shots in less than 5/16 in. @ 100 yds. All of my loads are made by neck sizing only with this reloader that people said was not accurate enough. What do you say!!!

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote