THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Seeking Prairie Dog Hunting near Cody, WY

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking Prairie Dog Hunting near Cody, WY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted
posted Dec 10, 4:59 PM
I will have a meeting in Cody in early July and wondered if there were any good PD hunting places near there. I would be an individual hunter. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a map, lot's of wide open country
around there. Contact the Fish n Game
office there. they'll tell you where
to go and get lots of shooting.

Have fun,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long time ago, 80's, the place to go was the Newecastle BLM (Bureau of Land Management.) Supposedly there is a p'dog town 26 miles in diameter approx. Between Newcastle and Douglas. They have maps and no go zones for that damned black footed ferret (endangered by a house cat disease.) Cody is a bit west but not much in that country. They had a list of ranchers who were begging for shooters. Aunt Sam had a rule. They could give you the name and address but NOT THE phone. List rested on the phone book which was dog earred. Bring a pad of paper (or tablet these days I guess). Make some calls. Real friendly. Luck. Happy New Year. Happy Trails. You have no idea how much I wish I was going along.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose I should expand on my upset with the situation. VHA of Pierre South Dakota has failed. Oh Well. I had a Fed biologist tell me that 90% of the p'dogs that died in the 20th century, died of gov. spread poison. (Kill them all and let God sort them out. Seig Heil. I wish I wasn't serious. Read M. Sanger and you will get the gist, foundations of thinking of one A. Hitler... US girl, nurse, humanist, etc.) Biologists have proven that, like the buffalos, (really Bison, they may care, I don't) cattle do better on ground with p'dogs. Word is leaking out to ranchers slowly. Knew of one in SD, (where the weed control people have charge of the p'dog problem!!), gov. poison spreaders came in, uninvited--pest control, and cross hatched the land with poison. Lousy thinking by donkeys in Washington DC, SURPRISE... Plenty of sport if all this expert stupidity was not dominate. Then comes this black footed ferrt problem, cause the travelers have to bring their cats along. Cats are vaccinated. Ferrets are not. This is a problem, ferrets only like to eat p'dogs and the limited population...

Like I said, this was real current in the 80's. You don't need a permit in Wyo, then anyway. Montana is a short hop north. Never got there, ran out of ammo. One place near Zortman advertised. Used the Blackfoot Reservation, I think. As suggested, start with state game dept, I would then inquire of the Newcastle BLM. I talked with a Mr. Svoboda. (Czech I think). LUCK!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You might want to contact Mark Young here on AR about Cody. He lived there for many, many years until recently relocating to Las Vegas. He may be able to provide you with some suggestions. Big Grin