Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Days
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
How many of you go out specifically to go calling?
Still yet, how many of you carry a call around most of the time just in case? Big Grin

I was just curious as my attitude is pretty clear!

Yesterday I took my 10yr old son with me deer hunting. We saw two Bobcats first thing, called in a fox, and failed to bring in any 'yotes (intended prey) on three stands. Oh yeah, did I mention we were deer hunting? clap I usually have at least one call in the glove box of every vehicle, have one I keep in my fanny pack, and a small one I made out of deer antler to keep in my pocket while out and about. Even when hunting quail and pheasant.

We saw all of two does. One by accident, and one that bedded down about 900 yards out. I was glassing a basin and in three hours of glassing we saw one doe, Ca. deer season is truely pathetic! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I always have the calls in the truck when I go out to shoot ground squirrels and will work them early in the morning and late in the day.

I was up in D8 last week and in two days of hard hunting we saw one deer butt as it went through the brush in front of us. No does or fawns and this was walking in 2 miles from the end of Jerky trailhead.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"BigNate" good to hear that you take your son Deer hunting with you. I used to take mine when they were young and we had great fun.

When I am Deer hunting I only shoot at Deer they are to hard to get where I go on public hunting area. It has been tempting to blast a Yote a few times but the Wife likes Deer and I don't think I could get in the house if I took a Yote home jump

I bought a DVD called Calling all Coyotes II but havent given the call any serious thought. With the price of gas I save my trips to the Lake for hunting or fishing (the wife likes to fish) and some target shooting.

Good luck and keep taking your son.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The resident GHD truck(actually the company truck also!!) has predator calls stashed in the door at all times!!! And now that it's October, deer calls will also be included in the mix!!! Funny as the dickens when calling coyotes using a deer distress call how many ol inquisitive whitetails will show up!!!
Now the calls may somehow be misplaced or all left in one truck or the other, but there is always a varmint rifle in the GHD truck!!! Sometimes it's just fun to snipe one without having to call him in!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I go quail hunting I leave before sunup and hit a stand or two, then bird hunt. As the bird season wears on and it cools off, I call more.

A dead quail in a tree next to a remote elec call programmed to bird distress calls is a killer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote