New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are your favorite bullets for pelts and non pelt hunting?

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Pelts - 243 caliber 90 grain Speer fmj
Fun- Hornady V max

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
jumpDon't pelt, just blow up prairie dogs.

I use what will do the job. In fact it is fun to try different bullets out. Love all the ballistic tips, hollow points and soft points for varmints. Not always red mist hits, but they pop loud enough you can hear them back where you're shooting from. Plenty of acrobatics too!

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
I like to use the .17 caliber 20 grain Hornady VMAX to smite groundhogs. Entrance holes only, no exits. The trouble is that I haven't been able to sell a single pelt. nut
sofa

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the sierra 60 grain hollow point for the .243. groundhog pelts don't bring much as far as i know, so i fire for effect.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
You guys need to get out!!!

I have used several different things to collect fur ( yes to sell). I took a bobcat, and a couple coyotes with a .22 Mag. Not quite as much moxy as I like. The Hornet works much better but not for much over 150 and preferably much closer. My .223 with Speer 52gr fbhp has probably dropped as many as my .22-250 with Sierra 50gr fbhp and with these bullets there was rarely an exit. I also used a .257 Roberts with 75gr Hornady fbhp that flat out worked awsome. It also rarely exits as long as you make a good hit. I even dumped one running, that my friend had missed, with a neck shot and although it was messy I was able to sell it.

The light HP's worked the best for me in my rifles, the Hornady spsx worked the best for the Contender in .223, followed closely by the blitz. Most of the other ones left big holes.

For fun, everything I own is fair game and I've probably taken coyotes with them all. The 7mm RM with 140gr Sierra GK was quite effective at way farther away than I usually shoot! Oh! I take that back, I have a new .25-06 I've yet to cristen. Big Grin Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote