The Accurate Reloading Forums
Coyote hunting.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5411043/m/2241006062

13 July 2020, 20:34
Bill73
Coyote hunting.
I am located in Grand Rapids Mi,I am looking for someone within a 100 mile radius,someone to mentor me,I want to start hunting coyotes,any help will be greatly appreciated.I am ok with any compensation required,thanks.

DRSS
15 July 2020, 17:38
alleyyooper
Have you looked at a sportsman club in that area?

Just posting a note on a bullitin board at a couple might get you some help.

As far as learning try watching You tubes although I object to how much those people talk and move araound.

If you watch most are out west wide open spaces more so than here in Michigan.

I used to see a few coyotes while deer hunting in the up but the season was closed up there during that time.
DNR feared a bunch of their Wolves would get shot.

So I and a friend would take our Christmas thru the new year time off and go uo and shot a few there.

Really got on a roll after I retired and a co worker told some farmers we would take care of coyote problems they were having.

Been over 20 years and the group grew to 12 but is now at just 8 left.

Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.
16 July 2020, 19:54
Bill73
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
Have you looked at a sportsman club in that area?

Just posting a note on a bullitin board at a couple might get you some help.

As far as learning try watching You tubes although I object to how much those people talk and move araound.

If you watch most are out west wide open spaces more so than here in Michigan.

I used to see a few coyotes while deer hunting in the up but the season was closed up there during that time.
DNR feared a bunch of their Wolves would get shot.

So I and a friend would take our Christmas thru the new year time off and go uo and shot a few there.

Really got on a roll after I retired and a co worker told some farmers we would take care of coyote problems they were having.

Been over 20 years and the group grew to 12 but is now at just 8 left.

Al

I did watch some videos,& as you remarked all wide open spaces,can I ask what optics you use on your rifles please for here in Mi?

DRSS
22 July 2020, 17:55
alleyyooper
The swift wears a Simmons 6x24 on it. Set it up that way for wood chucks in soy bean fields.

My 243 wears a Simmons 3x10.

Al

23 July 2020, 04:28
Grizzly Adams1
Buy a predator call and you're in business. I've always used mouth blown, they tell me the electronic ones are too regular and make coyotes suspicious. Wink My varmint rifle is a .243 heavy barrel, but the dogs aren't fussy and with a call and a good blind, you can get some close shots.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
23 July 2020, 16:22
alleyyooper
we make every effort to keep our movements down. wear the cammo to blend in with the back ground.
Once we leave the truck noi one talks, no cell pnones allowed on the set either.

Lots of coyotes called and killed useing e callers. We tend to stay away from the ever popular rabbit in distress.
My favorite sound is the little piglet in distress even though we are not hnting where there are pigs.
It is couristy kills the dogs.

Al

Al

23 July 2020, 20:37
Bill73
Keep it coming,great to hear of your experiences.

DRSS
24 July 2020, 00:48
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
we make every effort to keep our movements down. wear the cammo to blend in with the back ground.
Once we leave the truck noi one talks, no cell pnones allowed on the set either.

Lots of coyotes called and killed useing e callers. We tend to stay away from the ever popular rabbit in distress.
My favorite sound is the little piglet in distress even though we are not hnting where there are pigs.
It is couristy kills the dogs.

Al

Al

For an e call, I have the best luck with either a starling or woodpecker distress, but I might have saturated all the coyotes in my hunting area - last few times I had zero come in. I find the bird distress really works well in areas I have not hunted. It also brings in a ton of hawks, and last week it brought in a desert mule deer doe. Today i heard some coyotes yipping just after dawn. Drove around them and approached upwind of them. Zip. Second stand was a new area but the battery on my remote died after I muted my call. Bummer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

26 July 2020, 07:09
SheriffJoe
If you are calling with the wind in your favor...watch for them flanking you to get a sniff of you (hint).

Keep your vehicle/truck out of sight.

Don't be the "shiniest" object in the area (hint).

Don't outline your self against the sky. Don't turn off your caller.

Coyotes don't "usually" respond to a dog challenge call(other than yapping, etc.) unless it considers you to be very near or in its "territory".

If the yote barks at you...he's seen you.

If the yote starts looking to either side of him while approaching...he "probably" won't advance towards you.

If you want to stop the yote..."bark" or grunt at him. Shoot.

YMMV of course.
26 July 2020, 20:18
Atkinson
Good coyote calls depends on your location, try to imulate locals stuff in distress...I like half grown jack rabbit, or cotton tail, woodpecker, and kittens in a litter locally..

DAirys toss dead calves out behind the property and coyotes really come in to them daily locally, but one will see up to 15 or 20 coyotes a day just driving around in the Owahe desert of Idaho..My favorite coyote rifle is a 222 Sako L-46 with a 3X9 leupold, or a 6x45 L-46 custom with a 3x9 compact. Lately Ive developed a like for the 220 Swift with an 3x10 Leupold, it shoots so damn flat, but beware of windy days and long range with any caliber in this area.

About any caliber works just depends on the circumstances you hunt under..As a kid I killed lots of coyotes with a 22 L.R. ads to the difficulty but adds to the hunt as well. Same with our famous Idaho Rock Chucks..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com