THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Shot more coyotes with a 270 than anything else

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot more coyotes with a 270 than anything else
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And it was as Elmer Keith said a damn fine coyote rifle. When I was young I burned up two barrels on one model 700 Remington BDL on coyotes and it was also my big game rifle at the time. This rifle also splattered many a jackrabbit. I know it was not high on BC but the 100/110 grain bullets shot really well out of both the original Remington barrel and a Douglas barrel.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them with what ever gun I have in my hand. Yesterday, it was a 16 gauge while pheasant hunting.
But if I am pursuing them, it’s a 223 or 220 swift.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just thinking about the good old days when my legs were good and I was trekking the hills and mountains around Superior, Wyoming and the only scoped centerfire I had was a brand new Remington BDL in 270. If I had known better I would have used loads less warm and I bet I would have gotten better barrel life.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But would you have enjoyed your shooting any more? Probably not, barrels are cheap in the long run when compared to a lifetime of shooting.

BTW my favorite .270 varmint load was with the Sierra 110 SP and W760. Very accurate and usable on deer too.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith would be proud of you.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot more coyotes, Badgers, Ringtails, and bobcats with a 222 Rem that I carried at the ranch in my pickup on a daily bases...But Ive shot them while sitting in a blind hunting whitetail with quite a number of calibers. Horse back I carried my 25-35 SRC quite a bit for such, most coyotes and Bobcats just starred at me while I stepped off and shot them at fairly short range, they sometimes don't seem to fear a man on a horse, same with deer on occasions...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only rarely hunt specifically for coyotes, but when doing so I have taken either a .22-250 or a .243 as the tool of choice.

However, I've taken far more coyotes incidentally while deer hunting than when coyote hunting. That means I've shot them with a .264, .270, .30-06, .308 and about three or four other calibers.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite coyote rounds are the Swift and the .22-250.. But I usually have a second rifle in the truck for windy days.. For years it was my .25-06 or 7mag.. Quite a few years ago I got a 26 in custom barreled .270.. It is often the second rifle of choice.. And often the first if bear or other big game are on the menu.. Great caliber!!!

Posts: 12 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 1960s and 70s I hunted, trapped and got after them on my West Texas ranch..Furs were high dollar back then and it kept the preditor problem down some, and was fun to hunt with my sons..We made a lot of money then..I seldom hunt them these days, they are a target of opertunity here in Idaho, and lots of them. Furs are hardly worth the skinning.

Coyotes are hard to skin, but a trick I learned is to cut around a hind foot, and use an air hose to puff them up like a balloon and the hide slips right off when you start skinning..FWIW..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote