THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New to Varmint Hunting --equipment advice needed

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Varmint Hunting --equipment advice needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
This may sound silly but Im less interested in the actual hunting then the ability to be a man and walk in the woods with a rifle. I was talking to a hunting buddy of mine about it and he suggested we take up varmint hunting.

Don't get me wrong -- YES I want to hunt and I LOVE hunting, but so far its just been big game in the US Canada and Afrika. So Im looking for some suggestions on gear. We plan to hunt in Eastern Pa.

My first thought was a rifle in 223; but Im open to suggestions. I know some guys are using 220 Swift 22-250 and 243; but I also see some guys talking about 22LR, 22WM, etc.

The hunting areas we're talking about are fields with grass coverage. I expect ranges to be 100-150m. There may be some small game available (when in season) also. Im not thinking of this foe meat hunting although I suppose I wouldn't pass up a rabbit in season.

All I really know is that I don't know... any advice would be appreciated

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I myself am brand new to varmint hunting . . . my first trip was last May, and I shot ground squirrels which are super abundant but very small. And seldom did we shoot beyond 100 meters.

I mostly used a .22 LR (750 rounds) and it worked fine. But I also used a .223 Rem (100 rounds) .225 Win (50 rounds) and 6mm Rem (50 rounds). I learned that for "squeaks," at that range, a .17 HMR with a good scope was ideal (I've since acquired an excellent .17 HMR rig, thanks to my wife's generosity on our 50th anniversary).

But if you're planning on anything larger than ground squirrels (woodchucks), or if you'll be shooting much over 100 yards, I'd go with a .223 Rem. Nice and flat out to 300 yards, better resistance to wind and decently tough bullets for larger critters, if needed.

If you're a handloader, the .223 is easy to load and components are varied and plentiful.

(I have a Stevens 200 with 6-18 Nikon Buckmaster's scope and a Rifle Basix trigger . . . all the accuracy I could ask for, for not much money.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the games guys, You'll have a lot of fun.
There's one major trouble with the .22LR/WM and many others with a solid bullet. Be damned careful of your background. As richochets can be expected nearly every shot. KNOW where that bullet is going to end up.

I highly recommend one of the small .17's: WMR, or M2 as those bullets are designed to blow up on contact with just about anything. Including grass or weeds. They're safe as long as they hit something whether the varmint or not.
Unless a quite short range and head shots they wouldn't be the one to choose for chucks though, just too light and slow. These days the prices and availability can be troublesome.

I've used a .223 for yrs and got along wonderful with it. Out here in CO in the short grass prairies we usually don't have to be concerned with a whole lot as there's seldom anything around we can hurt with a miss. Just make sure that bullet hits the ground and it's safe.

For longer shots and where it's safe to use I shoot 55gr as they carry further and hit harder way out there. Among livestock and things that can be hurt I always use a 40gr plastic tip that will explode when it hits anything. They're very accurate but, beyond 350-400yds the wind affects them more and they lose velocity faster than the 55gr do.

Much depends on the background and the animals you'll be shooting at. I've never been back east where you're at so have no idea what you're looking at doing, or shooting. I do highly recommend IF: you're going to use a .223, shoot those 40gr plastic tips. Re: V'max and such.

Also, for less than 200yds, the Hornady 35gr is a real good one. They're so short and lose velocity so much that beyond 200yds they'll scatter all over the hillside. That's been my experience.

Wish you well and have fun, AFTER you're fully safe.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Varmint" hunting covers everything from western ground squirrels in colonies of tens of thousands to lone wolves on the Canadian Shield. So there is no single "best" suggestion for a varmint rifle.

If your Pennsylvania hunting includes woodchucks (groundhogs), then something like a bolt actioned .223 is hard to beat. I would suggest a sporter weight barrel as it is much more versatile than a heavy barrel model and can be just as accurate if the shots are not frequent enough to heat the barrel. Such a sporter .223 will do equally well for called-in varmints like coyotes or bobcats. Truth be known, a .223 sporter will kill as many whitetails about as quickly and cleanly as will larger calibers.

I own and have owned many large, higher velocity "varmint" rifles, but a .223 will do about anything that its larger competitors will.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Is 243 TOO much? Im kinda in LOVE with this STEYR

OK yes I know it is but I still like the Steyr

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDELWEISS:
Is 243 TOO much? Im kinda in LOVE with this STEYR

OK yes I know it is but I still like the Steyr

That's one beautiful rifle . . . I understand its attraction.

In answer to your question: I used, and will use again, my 6mm Remington (55 gr. Noslers @ 3950 fps) as one of my ground squirrel eradicators.

Total overkill . . . so why do I use it? Because I can!

I love the rifle, and I like pink mist.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Im still "jonesing" for the Steyr; but a bought a Rem 700 in 223 with a 16" threaded barrel. It feeds the Tactical Beast in me AND should serve the varmint/hiking role, till Im sure I have to have the Steyr. Im also thinking a Merkel Stutzen or a Ruger No1 might be in order.

Hunting to me is as much of an "event" as it is the actual hunt. I so very much enjoy the "pre game" strategy and preparations. Im picturing hunting with the Steyr while wearing a green cloak and maybe lederhosen...