THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Dpms coyote load using 55gr VMAX

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dpms coyote load using 55gr VMAX
 Login/Join

<wksinatl>
posted
I have a DPMS "SWEET 16" (16", 1-9"). I am looking for some suggestions for accurate loads using the 55gr VMAX. I have some 748, Varget, H322, AA2520, and a few others. For primers I have WSR's, CCI BR4's and Federal 205M's. Most ranges will be less than 300 yards. I know different rifles like different loads but I am looking for info that works for you in your .223. Thanks for your time and experience, Keith

<JerrBear356>
posted
If you want to use those 55gr V-Max's get yourself a new barrel with a different twist try 1/14". However if you want accuracy with your existing barrel 1/9" you need to start using 70-75gr bullets and you will notice your groups shrink dramatically. Give the 69gr Sierra Matchkings or the Hornady 75gr A-Max's a try.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, just go on out and rebarrel to a slower twist. That'll be quick and cheap. Awsome advice there. Some 14 twist barrels wont even stabilize the 55 Vmax.
I've had good luck with 23gr. of H322(listed max.) Varget is looking pretty good at 27.5 grains, again a max load and compressed. Ofcourse work up to these levels. CCI primers have been good to me too.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
Don't be so fast, I've killed plenty of varmits out of my ar with a 20" 1 in 9 using 55 grain v-maxes. I suggest you try it before replacing!
And not all of the heavy bullets are designed to fit the ar's clip. Try the 69 and 77 sierras they are , dont think 75 a-max will work.

Mike

<Wildcat>
posted
I have a savage 10FP with a 1 in 9.

It shoots forty grainers under quarter inch at one hundred despite what the rest of the worlds shooters say about twist rates.

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle a DPMS 1/9' twist rifle and with 40gr V-Max bullets the accuracy really sucks under 1" at 100 yards for 5 shots. The same for 55 gr remington plhp bullets. But when I used Remington 52gr Benchrest bullets the group opened up to a Dime for ten shots at100 yards. I also have a 1/7 twist 22-250 and it shoots 55 gr Blitzkings at .4 at 100 yards. The main cirteria for fast twist barrels is that spinning the bullets faster will bring out the bullet's flaws, so you just need to use good bullets. I have good results with BLC2, 748 and Varget

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by JerrBear356:
If you want to use those 55gr V-Max's get yourself a new barrel with a different twist try 1/14". However if you want accuracy with your existing barrel 1/9" you need to start using 70-75gr bullets and you will notice your groups shrink dramatically. Give the 69gr Sierra Matchkings or the Hornady 75gr A-Max's a try.

what the hell are you talking about?
1/9 will work fine just back off the load a bit and work up slow watching for preasure signs.
i have the same DPMS rifle [ truly a grate rifle package]
mine likes Fed. brass, H322 or Benchmark powder, Fed GM primers and 55gr Vmax or 52gr Berger MEF.

i've dusted 11 yotes with mine so far this year. longest was 377yds.

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

<CatShooter>
posted
JerrBear356 - "If you want to use those 55gr V-Max's get yourself a new barrel with a different twist try 1/14".

Sorry, but you should stick to advice that you have "done"... I have a 14" 223, and The 55 V-Max it too long for the twist... and accuracy is poor.

But I also shoot it in a 9" twist Win M70-HBV, and it is outstanding, running 1/2".

CatShooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I really respect are reality based answers.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote