New
Find
Notify
Tools

varminting with 22LR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In Australia, mainly because it is by far the most commonly used rifle, you come to use the humble 22 for many applications it probably wasn't intended for...I have shot out past 100m with it and it remains quite reliable, (I have seen a friend drop a full grown grey kangaroo at 170m, with a chest shot. Probably a freak shot)mostly on rabbits and crows, some foxes and other small game.
Does anyone here do any small game sniping with the .22?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we regularly shoot gophers out between 100-250 meters with the .22 rimfire. It is necessary to have a very stable rest, and windy days really play havoc with this game. But it shure is fun to wack em way out there with a little .22 [Cool]

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot critters almost daily with 22 rimfire rifle ruger 10-22,and colt 1911 ciener conversion gophers,skunks,porqupines,badgers,and coyotes.Also shoot lots of grouse with my .22 handgun.Best all round working cartridge.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
I pop ground squirrels in Oregon. More fun than my .22-250 by far!

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prairie dogs, ground squirrels, crows, etc., all fall prey to one of my rimfires.

I use a Volquartsen/Ruger 10-22, a Winchester 1885 with tang peep and global front, and Ruger 22LR autoloading pistols.

For long range prairie dog sniping, a Shepherd scope is hard to beat. The dual reticle system is simply the cat's arse for wind drift adjustment.

Life without 22LR varminting would be oh so dull....

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Jim Dannels>
posted
I am 52 and just this year broke down and bought my first centerfire. Wish I had a nickel for every 100 22 Rimfire rounds I have shot.
And just because I have a 200yd + rifle(223) don`t think I won`t still spend a lot of time shooting Rimfire at 100yds and beyond.
Wind doping is the hardest part of Varminting and the rimfire gets blown around some.
I love my Rimfire!