Find
Notify
Tools

Help with rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted
I have about made my mind up to get a Savage.
I will have to flip a coin between .204 and
22-250 as I can not make up my mind. What I know nothing about is the fluted barrel. is it worth it? Any advice welcome as this is my 1st
sub .30 cal rifle.
Thanks

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveI have the Savage 12vbss-s(fluted barrel) in .223. This Savage handles bullets accurately up to 75 grs. The 22-250 (at least mine or my cousins Ruger) doesn't do that but with the lighter bullets it is a devastater.

I think the jury is still out on the .204.In my own mind I see no need that it fullfills.I'm sure you'll get other good advice here,so I'll just leave it at that. lolroger

Maybe I'm just old and closed minded but if I were capable still of long shooting I think I would relie on something like the .244(6mm).

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
thanks, I noticed that the twist on the 223 is 1 in 9 and 1 in 12 in 204 add 22-250.

Longtime ago When i had 2 rifles all my long range was an 06. It is toy time.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Invader66: I have been using my various 204's for a year and a half now and for all around Varminting and having to choose between the 204 Ruger and the 22-250 Remington cartridges I would definitely go with the 204! I base this on a lot of Hunting and harvesting of many species of Varmints (from Ground squirrels up through and including Coyotes!).
I have three Varmint Rifles now in 204 Ruger caliber and the flat trajectory and superior wind bucking ability of the 204 along with splendid lethality leaves you with a no brainer!
The 204 is your clear cut choice for Varminting out to 450 yards - at least!
Your choice of the Savage Rifle is a puzzle to me but I hope you will be satisfied with it.
I own 204's in Remington and Ruger models (Remington 700 VLS, Remington XR-100 and Ruger 77 V/T) and prefer all of them to anything savage offers - looks, balance, quality, resale value and feel wise!
Now don't get me wrong I have shot right along side dozens of savages and I know they perform pretty well. But I have resigned myself to having never bought a new savage Varmint Rifle and probably never will during the rest of my life.
Some one here signs off their postings with the motto "life is to short to Hunt with an ugly Rifle"!
I say amen to that!
Best of luck with whichever caliber and Rifle you choose!
But please - do not let anyone sell you a "short bill of goods" on the fantastic 204 Ruger cartridge! It is a splendid choice for all around Varminting!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your selection may rest in how and what you expect to shoot. Smaller game and closer in might tip the scales to the 204. If you want to reach out and touch bigger game further out--go the 22-250, Really far out try a 25-06

In any case buy good optics, you can't hit what you can't see

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Another reason for a trip from VA to Montana!! To show you the "beauty" of the Savage VLP .204 against the competition!!!! "Out to 450" yards.....Yea I'll do the deal with the .204!! And watch the deal take place!! Big Grin Big Grin Big GrinGHD PS: The .260VLS got here today!!! A thing of beauty!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Don't much mind shooting something ugly with something ugly. Big Grin
GHD Sounds like a good reason to go to Montana to me. I would drive up for that myself.
Thanks to all and GHD tell me how that .260??dose. Ain't bought nothing yet.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

one of us
posted Hide Post
i had a 223, two 22-250's got rid of them, now have a sav.model 12 varminter low profile and a rem 700vls both in 204 . You will not be sorry if you by the 204

heavy barrels & light triggers

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Why low profile? Never seen one but they are higher$$$$. Is a fluted barrel worth the $$$.
Thanks.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

one of us
posted Hide Post
go to http://www.savagearms.com click on centerfire.
as far as a fluted barrel they say the flutes are for making the gun lighter i think they do it to make the gun look good, i paid between 600 and 650 for mine

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
invader, I will keep folks posted about the .260VLS!!! I've been looking for one of them for over 2 years and finally got the thing here!!! HOPEFULLY will get to test it sometime this week!! It may have to wait a few months for "varmint testing"....unless y'all call whitetails varmints like I do!!!
And VG, It ain't no "purtier" than my VLP!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
GHD

Thanks guy

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
The flutes not only make the gun lighter, they also make the barrel stiffer, and they help with cooling (more surface area).

But more importantly they look cool... Big Grin

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Varmint Al, fluting a barrel reduces rigidity, if you are comparing equal barrels to begin with. You can gain stiffness, with equal weight, if you flute a larger barrel. Lots of text and formulas on Al's site. The following is his summary:

CONCLUSION....
"When comparing two barrels of equal weight, length, and material but one is solid and other is fluted, the fluted barrel will have a larger diameter, greater stiffness and vibrate at a higher frequency.

Fluting a solid barrel will reduce its stiffness, but increase its natural frequency and decrease its end deflection (sag).

Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter.

A shorter barrel of the same section, solid or fluted, will sag less and vibrate at a higher frequency."

The cooling and "cool" factor are a given..

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkThe fluting on my 12vbss-s is so minimal it is almost a joke.I think it is just an advertising grabber. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club