New
Find
Notify
Tools

yotes and llamas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
guy that has a big herd of goats leaves them run free. coyotes don't bother them - he has a llama that runs with the goats and claims that as long as the llamas is out there the coyotes will stay away. anybody else ever hear of this

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see it around here llama guarding small bands of sheep.Around Yellowstone park doesn't work at all as wolves eat llamas.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around here lots of people put a donkey out to protect the sheep from yotes. Guess it works.
Larry

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted many sheep ranches, in NE New Mexico, that have Llamas for protection from coyotes. Ranchers claim they are great watchdogs.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Llama use is big here in Canada as well... FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Llama use is big here in Canada as well... FS

Around here, Grizz prefer Llama meat above all others. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Llamas are used in Indiana, too.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......same here in Australia,for foxes and wild dogs, except they use Alpaca's instead of Llama's. The Alpaca's hate dogs and will kick one to death if it gets too close.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
So a Llama is a wild Guanaco and a Alpaca is a wild vincuna.

I did not know this until today. I always thought Alpacas were just small stupid versions of Llamas, which are just small stupid geographically retarded camels.

Stupid internet making me learn things I didn't care about.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B W W : Just the opposite; vicuñas and guanacos are wild animals , llamas and alpacas are domestic.
Llamas has been used here - as donkeys has - to keep away foxes and pumas from goats and sheep. At least some people believe that.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a new born puppy, a nanny goat will odopt him then let him grow up with a herd of sheep, and he will be the best watch dog in the world, and kill a coyote in a heart beat, even a bob cat, and Lions will skedaddle when he chases them..The only problem is they are so protective that they have injured, even on one occasion killed a passing illegal, or so I heard. I know they gave our goats a wide birth on our ranch growing up soon as the word got out so the Illegals kept clear of the sheep and goats and came to the house where we always fed them and put them up in the bunkhouse over night..Our goat crop increased considerably! We never had the problem with the illegals back then, all our ranch hands were illegals, man has that changed today.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote