THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Typical ranges for your varmint shooting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Typical ranges for your varmint shooting?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I hunt in eastern PA. The prime varmint is the ground hog. I also hunt predators; foxes and coyotes. I hunt exclusively with bolt rifles.

95% of my shots are under 250 yards. For ghogs I set up on tree lines about 200 yards out when possible.

Since I shoot off shooting sticks 250 yards is about my limit to make consistent hits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in western Texas or New Mexico. Most shots are under 350 yds. but occasionally we stretch it out to up to 750. Hit percentages go down the farther out we shoot, but it's still fun. I shoot a different rifle and load at long range.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will shoot at a coyote as far as I can see one and that may be 25 yards standing in the road, or 2000 yards at a dead run and shooting with rest or off hand..

Sometimes they zig when they should have zagged, but not very often...Good shooting has little to do with it, but sometimes it just works. BTW Ive never hit one under those circumstances but have shot a few at 800 to a 1000 yards. You can see a coyote a long ways off in Idaho and Nevadas desert country.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote