THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Typical ranges for your varmint shooting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Typical ranges for your varmint shooting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wondering, at what ranges do you do most of your varmint shooting?

I would take a wild guess, and say 80% of your shooting is inside 200 yards? ( Except those living on the open plains )

And 95% inside 300 yards?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Here in this area of Michigan with a lot of farm land and old farm steads grown wild again it varies. I would say most is 150yd.s or more. But we also do some shot gunning for them and most shots there are under 50yds.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of "varmints"?

Called-in coyotes and bobcats in brush country are often taken at shotgun ranges.

Colony varmints like prairie dogs can be taken as far away as your gun/skills/conditions allow, but rarely do they expose themselves for a shot unless they are two hundred or more yards away. In my prairie dog hunting experiences the median shot distance is probably close to 300 yards. Sometimes if you luck into a "virgin" town which hasn't been hunted in more than a year then shots can be closer.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some, such as skunks, raccoons, etc. from 10-150 yards, crows and coyotes can be anywhere from shotgun range to 500+. As mentioned ground squirrels, prairie dogs and the like anywhere from 50 to as far away as you want to take a shot.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thinking about mostly Non-colonial varmints.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up here in the woods and few farms 10 feet to 500 yards.

Out west as far as you want or can hit I like them under 300.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot at coyotes up to about 400 or 500 yards if that's the only option..shoot at rock chucks across the Snake River Canyon..shots from 50 to real long ranges...Lot of misses way out there, but a miss at those ranges on a varmint is a minor event in my life..I have some friends go into contortions over a miss on a chuck..watching that is more fun than shooting a rock chuck! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prairie dogs and ground squirrels, 150-300 yards targets of opportunity like a crow may be out to 500 yards. Rock chucks can be at any yardage it just depends on where they are when you see them.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25 yards to 500 yards for pd's,
all depends on the size of the field or how big the circles are.
That why I always take my 22 LR, 17 HMR, 20 Tac, 223 Remington AR-15 and deer and elk rifle.

It's a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a fun way to test your depth or yardage perceptions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My shooting is almost what you thought, a little different. I'd estimate 80% is 200 yards and in. I like my 22 Hornet and 223. 99% is inside 300 yards. Every time we go, we pick one way out there and use the 243's. I know we don't get up there with the big long range guys but both of us have shot a Prairie Dog outside 500 yards. Its fun to see who can get the first hit.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Done a couple of 500 plus shots, with my .243 , one a fox, the other a coyote, but there was a great element of luck and chance involved there. Don't ask me to repeat it. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockchucks? Twenty-plus years ago, 400yds, with a first shot hit and kill probability. Then I got a pair of Geovids. Within two years I could run a ballistics chart from Oehlers' Program and got to 80% out to 800yds. I researched, designed a couple specialty rounds, like my 257 Banshee in a 17lb Unlimited Class-style BR rifle, and a 22-284, and made several out to 1000yds.

These days, guys are supposedly hitting golfballs at twice that distance. The difference, I was gutsy enough to admit I missed as often as I hit.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I grew up in upstate New York Shooting mostly woodchucks.
Reading about shooting rock chucks at such long ranges always amazed me.
I could hardly see a wood chuck at those ranges.
Then I learned that rock chucks were twice as big as woodchucks. So then my 250-300 yard kills seemed a bit more than fair shooting.
I have killed woodchucks at longer ranges, out to 400 yard, even killed a crow at 425 once.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coyote hunting this weekend all (5) were called within 125yds or less. This is farm country, calling mostly to wood lots and brushy draws.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
I am wondering, at what ranges do you do most of your varmint shooting?

I would take a wild guess, and say 80% of your shooting is inside 200 yards? ( Except those living on the open plains )

And 95% inside 300 yards?

You hit the nail on the head for me....

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
The only varmint shooting I do where I live are gophers......... usually in the yard or close to it and rarely over 50 yards, or coyotes. With coyotes I would say your figures are pretty close. The odd one is beyond 300, out to around 500 if weather permits, but most are 200 +/-.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prairie dogs 300-500 yards. My favorite target, rock chucks generally start around 750 and out to 1400. Furthest ever was 1402. Rock Chuck gun is a custom intended for loooong range.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot ground squirrels, and outside my front door, my shots are 20 - 50 yards (I use my .22 CZ Silhouette mounted with a Nikon 3-9 EFR AO scope with Norma TAC ammo). It's one of my "honey do" burdens, but it is what it is . . .. Smiler

When I go on safari, my shots are from 30 feet to ~275 yards. Most of my "safari shots" are 75 yards to 175 yards, and I'll use any of several rifles: my CZ, a .17 HMR Anschutz, a .223 Stevens 200, my uglier-than-sin .225 post 64 Mod 70 Win, and a 6mm Rem built by Dan Dowling on a Mod. 98 Mauser with a Gary Schneider barrel cradled in a Fajen stock (my only custom rifle).

JFWIW

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a rock chuck?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A rock chuck is a marmot. In the east and Midwest known as a groundhog, but I guess they get bigger out there than here in the Rockies.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
A rock chuck is a marmot. In the east and Midwest known as a groundhog, but I guess they get bigger out there than here in the Rockies.

Sometimes called a woodchuck or "whistle pig" as well. The midwest version is a different species than those in the west.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Australia, we often sit over several rabbit warrens, one may be within 100yrds or so, while others are up to 800yrds.
I normally shoot at rabbits between 200-300yrds, any closer, they know you are there.
We also spotlight for foxes, my longest hit was just over 600yrds, just within the extreme range of our spotlight. This was lasered before the shot, as we use a red filter to try and not startle the animals around, like cattle.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me the Jack Rabbit is the ultimate varmint hunt in the Owayee desert of Idaho..Only running shots count at 10 to 500 yards or twice that far if you can see them..followed by coyotes during the day without a call, long range running shots. Keeps one tuned for deer and elk..

We have coyote hunts down here, $100 intrance fee and the winner who shoots the most coyotes in a day wins all the entrance money or a really nice rifle, or whatever, it varies.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Rockchucks? Twenty-plus years ago, 400yds, with a first shot hit and kill probability. Then I got a pair of Geovids. Within two years I could run a ballistics chart from Oehlers' Program and got to 80% out to 800yds. I researched, designed a couple specialty rounds, like my 257 Banshee in a 17lb Unlimited Class-style BR rifle, and a 22-284, and made several out to 1000yds.

These days, guys are supposedly hitting golfballs at twice that distance. The difference, I was gutsy enough to admit I missed as often as I hit.

I remember those glory days of Precision Shooting. Those were some of the best articles ever in PS magazine Rich. Well done sir!

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love shooting PD's with my Ruger Charger/Magnum Research Picuda, and often go out to 200 yds., but nowadays the airguns are my forte, and shots out to 15 yds. or so on rats (daga) in the Philippines with my 22 pistol is what I love, but I have to go on the other side of the world to do it-- nephew/Manila jeepney driver Noli is a natural--

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the shooting where I am is under 250 yards or so. Occasionally you can get a shot over 400 on a woodchuck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
. . . but nowadays the airguns are my forte, and shots out to 15 yds. or so on rats (daga) in the Philippines with my 22 pistol is what I love, . . .

I must say, I absolutely salivate at shooting rats with a totally tricked-out airgun ever since I saw this. Alas, such an opportunity does not exist anywhere near me.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The area we hunted woodchuck are broken up by tree breaks, hills, roads, property lines, etc. rarely shot one over 200 yards.

quote:
Originally posted by 44magLeo:
I grew up in upstate New York Shooting mostly woodchucks.
Reading about shooting rock chucks at such long ranges always amazed me.
I could hardly see a wood chuck at those ranges.
Then I learned that rock chucks were twice as big as woodchucks. So then my 250-300 yard kills seemed a bit more than fair shooting.
I have killed woodchucks at longer ranges, out to 400 yard, even killed a crow at 425 once.
Leo

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here in Idaho, the range limitations are as far away as I can find them with a spotting scope, and range them with my GEOVIDS.

Nothing under 300yds, longest hit was 1007yds. Rockchucks measure 5" wide, by about 10-12" tall.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I shoot 90% of my coyotes within 40 yards.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I clicked on the link from the UK. Thank you Mr. O'Connor, that little video brought back so many memories. Years ago our garbage dump was an open air deal. You could get set up on the west side of it and spotlight rats or just shoot when their eyes were shining back at you. I don't know how many boxes of 22 shorts I went through. My Dad had a Remington 552 that I would borrow and I believe you could stuff 21 shorts in it. Most shots were under 50 yards so range was never a consideration unless we jumped the odd skunk, then you wanted to be further away. At least 300 yards if the wind was in your face. What times those were. DW

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have some friends go into contortions over a miss on a chuck..watching that is more fun than shooting a rock chuck!

Reminds me of having some fun with a jack rabbit. I was using a 243. Scared the hell out of him with the first shot, watched him run, then stop, took another, he ran some more. This went on and on until he was clean out of sight, which was a LOONG ways away and about 6 shots later. I was having a ball, and all my friend could say was "you missed". I just smiled and walked away.. popcorn

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmit shot for woodchuck in south eastern PA on Amish/Menonite farms every spring and summer 1-2 times a week for 10years. Most shots were 150-300yds, 400-700yds shot attempts frequently. Once a year trip to north central PA near Millersville specifically to shoot 600-1000+yrd farms. 222, 220 swift, 22-250, 243 out to 5-600s: 257wby, 7mm Rem, 300wby, 6.5x300wby beyond--all with Leupold scopes (up to 18x).

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
10 feet to 50 yards covers most of my varmint shooting, about 500 rounds of Super Colibri a month on an average. We are over run with critters.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
95% inside 200 yards 5% past that.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shots are long, hits are not so long! clap

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Currently the only varmint hunting I do is prairie dogs, most shots are 150-250 yds. but occasionally shoot out to 700 or so.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over here in Burns area 200 yards an closer is my range for rock chucks. I use a Ruger 77/17 hmr. My brother uses a 22 magnum. Maybe pop off a ground squirrel once in awhile.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a coyote out to 500yds ranged. The furthest on Prairie dogs is roughly 500yds as well.

Most of the time when coyote calling I try to get them into within 200yds. If they have been called in before they will hang up between 300-500 and won't come in any further for me. That's why I like the 243Win cause it will reach out there and drop them if I can hit them.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
. . . but nowadays the airguns are my forte, and shots out to 15 yds. or so on rats (daga) in the Philippines with my 22 pistol is what I love, . . .

I must say, I absolutely salivate at shooting rats with a totally tricked-out airgun ever since I saw this. Alas, such an opportunity does not exist anywhere near me.

One of the best fun nights I've had out shooting rats was on a farm around a grain store. Using an air rifle and NV we would get 100+ a night. Walking around inside in pitch black in the buildings and seeing them at eye level, up amongst the roof framing, everywhere, really made the heart go quick.

Posts: 7156 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote