New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 AI speed question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious have any of you taken a 223, and using the same gun and same tube and tube length taken and punched it to AI? If so what speed have you picked up?

Many thanks

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know but would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 50fps. If you're lucky.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

As you've seen from some of the talk on the campfire , the AI guys will claim a good 200 fpsor so over the plain ol 223 .

I don't doubt they are seeing the numbers they claim , but I don't believe it's the AI treatment getting them there , but the addition of some +P .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its kinda pretty straight forward mathmatically. I THINK the accepted formula is one in four. For every 4 percent of powder increase, you get 1 percent increase in velocity.
I too think some of the claims for the AI's are kinda optimistic.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got two 223AI both with hart barrels and a factory rem varmit 223 so have a fair knowledge of the gain with the 223AI and 200fps more is a good estimate. I shoot either 50 or 52gr bullets with the 50gr I'm alittle over 3600fps and the 52gr I'm at 3558fps both barrel are 1/14 twist and 26" long. My loading data came out of the varmint hunter article from 1995 and I use V-133 powder and I'm appr 40fps as to there published velocity. I also shoot a 222AI,22-250AI,6mmremAI and have those rifles in factory chamberings. I've never been a big fan of the 223 always had one around but I sure do like the 223AI. I think sometimes when doing an AI case some just work better than others.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote