New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last of the Blonde Bombshells
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a wonderfully entertaining DVD, "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells," starring Judi Dench and Ian Holm. Those who enjoy a gore-free story with excellent swing music and 1940s jazz will appreciate the movie best late at night with a glass of good wine and a date with intelligence - where feasible. If not feasible, just watch the movie and enjoy.

The first automobile driven by Ian Holm is a purple sedan that, by its placement of rear-view mirrors is probably British, made in the 1960s, and among those perceived as more prestigious. Please identify the car.

I almost forgot. Cleo Laine, who must have been in her middle 60s at least, still has the pipes. Possibly four octaves like Julie Andrews and Ella. Her rendition of "It don't mean a thing (if you ain't got that swing)" is worth the price of admission.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thank you,sounds worth checking out.That has a plethora of good actors.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
I picked up a wonderfully entertaining DVD, "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells," starring Judi Dench and Ian Holm. Those who enjoy a gore-free story with excellent swing music and 1940s jazz will appreciate the movie best late at night with a glass of good wine and a date with intelligence - where feasible. If not feasible, just watch the movie and enjoy.

The first automobile driven by Ian Holm is a purple sedan that, by its placement of rear-view mirrors is probably British, made in the 1960s, and among those perceived as more prestigious. Please identify the car.

I almost forgot. Cleo Laine, who must have been in her middle 60s at least, still has the pipes. Possibly four octaves like Julie Andrews and Ella. Her rendition of "It don't mean a thing (if you ain't got that swing)" is worth the price of admission.

You have a sophisticated eye, sir! The car in question is a Bristol, manufactured by an offshoot of the Bristol Aircraft Company, and benefitting from all the engineering acumen of the sort of men who built Beaufighters and sleeve-valve radials for the RAF. Bristol cars were known as a real gentleman's express. They used licence-built copies of BMW engines, and later Chrysler V-8's. Bristols had some very advanced concepts, such as placing heavy items like the spare wheel and the battery in lockers built into the front fenders, just behind the wheel. This kept the weight centered inside the wheelbase. On the original Bristol cars(after their first, which was a BMW clone), they copied the radiator opening on the air intakes designed in a wind tunnel for the giant Bristol Brabazon airliner.

Meanwhile, back in the 21st Century, auto designers work diligently to ensure the correct number of cup-holders and make-up mirrors are installed in critical locations about their computer-controlled, plastic, people-transportation pods....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't Bristols made on wooden frames? Thought I saw them produced on Motor Trend show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was the Marcos that used laminated plywood beams. Designed by Costin, brother of the Cosworth guy. The only wood on a Bristol would be the dash and interior trim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morgans also used ash wood frames.

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zrp:
Morgans also used ash wood frames.

True enough, I forgot about Morgan. Not sure when they switched their chassis to metal, but they might have been what was featured in that show Dutch44 saw. Morgans would be more numerous over here than the rarer Marcos.