New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why were there "two" Paulette Goddards?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please don't ask me why, but I have watched two motion pictures that are directed by C. B. DeMille, with Gary Cooper and Paulette Goddard, within days of each other. Same director, same stars. In "Northwest Mounted Police" (1940) Goddard is pretty doggone good. But in "Unconquered" (1947), I'll be merciful and call her acting inadequate. DeMille's direction in each is, as usual, far beyond over the top. But Cooper is, as usual, excellent. In my judgment, her portrayal in "Northwest Mounted Police" was more difficult to do well. So with support from the team that was remarkably similar from movie to movie, why was Goddard's performance so different?
N.B.: The final siege in "Unconquered" is remarkable for effectively showing how the fog of war in the era of black powder and flintlocks made musketry so much less effective than the bayonet. I have not viewed any other series of scenes in a motion picture that showed this as clearly.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Gin can be a terrible thing when given in excess. Has stifled more than one life + career.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In moderation Gin, especially Nolets, is wonderful. "A man (or woman) has to know his limitations."

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True that. I always liked Bombay myself. But as Heinlein said "specilazation is for insects + moderation is for monks."That being said,history shows us what over excess of gin can leave in it's wake.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote