Notify
Tools

Corona beer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I know more than a few "real" Mexicans. They consider it a step above cabra piss.

Buddy who drank it in Mexico told me the added lime is to make it bearable. Wink Something about the water they use.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Do they still brew Keith's (Keet's).

I had it in 1996 on my hunt in Newfoundland and in 2000 on my hunt in Nunavut, but from the best of my research, it is not imported into the states.

Yup, very popular brew, even out here in Alberta.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are far worse beers than corona.

Really, name a few. I believe that Corona is near the absolute bottom. Of course I think wheat beers are a waste of water, so, chacun a son gout.

BTW I really like Bud Light Lime, if you haven't tried it, and like lime flavor, give it a shot.

We aren't in the center of any beertropolis, where you can go to any number of micro breweries or beer bars with dozens of beers on draught, so my go to normal drinking beer is Sam Adams Lager draught.

I would love to try some of the famous Vermont beers like Heady Topper, but considering how hard it is to come by, even in NYC, that ain't likely to happen.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato I'm near some of the places that make the highest rated IPAs and PAs and I still can't get em unless I wait on line for hours with smelly douchebags or get super lucky. I'm over it after being really into it for a couple years. Julius by Tree House brewery is the best beer I've ever tasted but I can't easily get it. Heady T is good too but other brewers have caught up. Hill Farmstead is a couple hours away and has a couple IPAs that are the best of the best but again it's just too damn hard to get.

One thing not mentioned is chelada....bud light variety is my favorite. Just one or two icy cold after a day of hunting/fishing and then on to regular beer.

I've gone back to drinking adjunct lagers. I'm satisfied with an ice cold miller high life these days.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. Like I said, I like beer and I like wine but I'm not going to extraordinary lengths to get any particular variety and, in spite of best efforts, most canned or bottled beers in Texas suffer in the time frame between processing and final sales.

AFA wine goes, I will freely admit that some $50-100+ bottles of wine are slightly better than the better ones I pick out in my preferred range of $10-25 bottle but the differences are so slight as to make my Scottish ancestors haunt me if I paid the difference. Again, to each is own, but a bottle of wine just ain't that ethereal to me. Now, back in the day, when mammoths still roamed the earth, when a good bottle of champagne might help me get laid, well, hell, money was not the main consideration. Wink

Not relevant to this thread, but lately, I've been exploring Montepulciano grape wines from Italy, which I find mostly good to very good at damn reasonable prices. Only downside is most junior wine/liquor stores don't even know what you're talking about.

PPS: Just recently tried Tullamore Dew, an Irish whiskey, and find it very smooth. Great nightcap.

PPPS: Man, Treehouse Brewing must be doing something right. On one list I just looked at for best US IPAs, they had 5 of top 7, Julius being #1. Wow!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can there be an entire thread on the topic of Mexican goat piss?

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends talking under the electronic shade tree? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

PPS: Just recently tried Tullamore Dew, an Irish whiskey, and find it very smooth. Great nightcap.

PPPS: Man, Treehouse Brewing must be doing something right. On one list I just looked at for best US IPAs, they had 5 of top 7, Julius being #1. Wow!

If you like scotch that isn't overly peaty and smoky try Aberlour. I'm not even a scotch drinker and I like that one.

Treehouse beers are top-notch....I've had Julius and King Julius. Stopped there around 7 pm on my way out to duck hunt in NY state this past January thinking no one would be there....wrong! Line was 2 hours long so I left.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks but I'm out on Scotch, unless I was days away from anything else to drink. If I wanted to taste it, I can just go lick the inside of my barbecue pit. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gato, I'd gladly trade you a half-dozen Oregon craft brewers for one Texas BBQ joint.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal to me. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Castle sofa

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doug, an ice cold Castle in front of the boma fire hits the spot after a long day in the mopane.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When working in Mexico I got the impression that Corona beer was like Fosters beer in AUs, people overseas drank it, but nobody at home did.

In Tanzania, Kili baridi of course!

DRSS

Posts: 1894 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heileman's Old Style was a cheap beer we would sometimes drink. It was pretty bad. I would drink it before not drinking anything.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
When working in Mexico I got the impression that Corona beer was like Fosters beer in AUs, people overseas drank it, but nobody at home did.

In Tanzania, Kili baridi of course!

Maybe it's just me, but Mexico and tequila go together, Mexicans and beer seems almost unnatural.

Grizz

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Not necasarally,Tequila yes,but Cerveza Por Favor is the lingua franka anywhere south of San Antonio.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Not necasarally,Tequila yes,but Cerveza Por Favor is the lingua franka anywhere south of San Antonio.

Cuban beer is made by a Canadian company, Molsons if I remember correctly. Smiler

Grizz

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a comment by Paul Harvey years ago concerning buying American. Should you buy a VW built in Pennselvania or a Ford built in Mexico?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:

Cuban beer is made by a Canadian company, Molsons if I remember correctly. Smiler

Grizz

With beer these days it can get complicated. The major beer (supposedly) of Havana is Bucanero. It was produced by Labatt's, but Labatt's, since 1995, is now owned by Inbev, who among many others, produces Budweiser. Inbev, based in Brazil, I believe, is the largest brewer in the world, and about to get larger with the purchase of Molson-Coors. At least they don't own Samuel Adams....yet. Wink

It's kind of amazing. For some reason I got on Miller's page the other day and looked at their brands. I didn't count but there must be a 100 different beers they make and own, 75, at least, of which I had never heard. I'm sure Inbev would be the same way if they list them.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Castle sofa

Only 6 days till I have another! Hot damn!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Heh, I mentioned Foster's Lager in the Aussie forum a few years back and it was quickly labeled "a fizzy drink for oiks" by one of the lads -- probably Bakes.
Here in Oregon, craft brew central, there are literally scores of locally brewed ales and IPAs to choose from.

Ever tried a Fosters Premium ale in a glass? That's a damn good beer. But I agree that the Lager sucks. In fact after brewing my own, all Lagers suck!

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWall:

I thought Corona was pretty mild/weak flavored. Not something I would seek out.

Tom

Corona has its place. I can think of much worse beers. I dont mind it on a hot summer day at the golf course when the only other options are Natties, Old Milwaukee, Cuurs and a dark beer.. But I agree, it has never been a priority for me.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote