New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handguns in Vietnam, circa 1970
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several people I knew carried personally owned handguns during their tours in Vietnam. Dr. White carried a Ruger Superblackhawk. The late Terry Mykens carried my S&W Model 60. Both of these men were officers (captains), one a surgeon, one an artillery commander. Was it policy to allow soldiers to have personal handguns in Vietnam, or was this limited to officers? Or was it policy that personal handguns were not permitted, but the policy was tacitly ignored?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Not sure. My co-worker from the mid 90's was a USAF Dog handler in Vietnam. He had a Luger but I never asked if he carried it on the job.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The enlisted A.F. personnel that worked on the runways (sweeping cobras,etc. of the L.Z.)were not permitted to go armed.Right.Charlie come out of the bush + you're fxxxed. Damn near every ground crew member that I knew carried a concealed .S+W .38 M+P.usually a 4" although there were some 2"s as well as that was what the F-105 jocks carried.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
In more recent times during the gulf war the son of a guy I shot with carried a 1911 I sold him during his time there.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the official policy was NO sidearrms allowed, but it was really up to the local commander to require enforcement. Most did not. However, carrying sidearms was not a normal practice because of the additional weight. The normal load of weapon, grenades, ruck, ammo, water, food, etc could and often did weigh over 80 pounds which was at the upper limits for men moving in the jungle.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was Airborne.He carried a Mo.10.It saved his life as he killed a NVA who was bayonetting him .Yup the 38 Special can kill.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor was in RVN as U.S. Army full bird Colonel, General Surgeon/Medical Corps Field Hospitals for Airborne Units and he carried a Colt Detective Special, 24/7, under orders.

It arrived in-country shortly after his command assignment. His wife, a U.S. Army RN, purchased it stateside and sent it to him, with instructions to carry it - and he damn well did!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets face it;then as is now;anyone going into a war zone unarmed is a damned fool.Some orders you follow,some you don't.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the USMC in RVN 11/67 - 12/68. I carried either an M14, M16 or an M60. There was no limitation on what you could carry as long as it didn't interfere with your effectiveness. I knew guys that carried personal arms, including a Colt Python, a Thompson SMG, liberated AK-47s, as well as other old issue guns such as various pump 12 ga, Browning light 30's, plus the assorted knives, generally Randall Model 1s. If the guns didn't violate NFA all the person (E or O) needed to do was fill out a form to bring it on the return flight. As far as I know the AKs were sold to the other guys in the unit when the owner DROSd.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Lets face it;then as is now;anyone going into a war zone unarmed is a damned fool.Some orders you follow,some you don't.

True, one of my uncles went to Vietnam in the mid 60s as a civilian doctor treating Vietnamese civilians. He kept a 2" Smith 38 concealed on his person as he felt a large percentage of his patients were actually VC. He never had to use it, but as a veteran of Okinawa in his youth, he felt it was better safe than sorry.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
I was in the USMC in RVN 11/67 - 12/68. I carried either an M14, M16 or an M60. There was no limitation on what you could carry as long as it didn't interfere with your effectiveness. I knew guys that carried personal arms, including a Colt Python, a Thompson SMG, liberated AK-47s, as well as other old issue guns such as various pump 12 ga, Browning light 30's, plus the assorted knives, generally Randall Model 1s. If the guns didn't violate NFA all the person (E or O) needed to do was fill out a form to bring it on the return flight. As far as I know the AKs were sold to the other guys in the unit when the owner DROSd.

Pretty much the same when I was there (70-71). I carried an M3 "grease gun" for a while. There were a few Stens floating around also. Too much fun.

Semper Fi.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
A character I used to work with named Bobby Dove, was said to be a tunnel rat in Vietnam. I ask what he took for a gun and he said a 4 inch smith and wesson 44 magnum. Big Grin

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be hard to beat but hell on your eardrums in that confined space.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was why the engineer assigned to us used an issue 1911 45. the thought of shooting a 44 Mag in a crawl space hurts just thinking about it - can you say tinnitus?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That was why the engineer assigned to us used an issue 1911 45. the thought of shooting a 44 Mag in a crawl space hurts just thinking about it - can you say tinnitus?

Well, I wouldn't want to try it. But, I would not count this guy out. He would do just about anything, a real wildcard.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes I can say tinnitus. Quite well. Thank you USMC.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At the start of US involvement in VietNam we were allowed to carry personal weapons.Lots of handguns brought from the US.Even a few long guns.One guy brought over a Marlin 336 in .30-30.I remember another guy had a Ruger Old Army cap&ball.Lot's of foreign SMG's were carried as well.This was in a helicopter unit.
Nothing lasts forever.First we were to register our personal weapons and allowed to retain them.The next step was storage in the arms room unless we were flying.Then we were not allowed to use them at all and all full auto weapons were disposed of.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
In more recent times during the gulf war the son of a guy I shot with carried a 1911 I sold him during his time there.

Yep. I carried my own personal Glock 19 during Desert Storm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KenT:

There it is again: First registration next is confiscation.

Craigster: Hell, I HEAR tinnitus, and have since 1958 when the a/h next to me set his '06 off in the cab of an old Ford p/up. Muzzle up! Smoked both our faces. I was 15, now 74, hell of a price for some one else's stupidity.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda semi along the same lines. A friend + fellow F105 pilot of my Dads + sometime gunwriter (Dick Eades) took his Sako .308 along with him to do a bit of Asian buffalo hunting. So what if Uncle Sugar got the money for the article in 'Guns',he paid for the trip.