Find
Notify
Tools

Make your own whiskey at home?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.whiskeyinaweek.com/#/

I ran across the fellow that owns this company at a trade show. He was demonstrating his system. Couldn't taste it but it smelled damned good. Roasts oak chips like coffee beans and then blends light to dark. Said it only takes a week because he increases the amount of surface area presented to the alcohol by several thousand percent so it doesn't require years. Anyone tried it?

Bob

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure home distillation is a federal offense.

This is not distillation but micro infusion. The Whiskey is all ready made. You are just putting into a wood chip filter.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may look good but how does it taste.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a friggin chance...

cuckoo

That's like suggesting you can make Gin by tossing some juniper berries into Vodka.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technically, under Federal Law Bourbon does not have an aging minimum. You can put it in the cask, new white oak, for 2 monthsxand call it Bourbon.

Straight and Bonded have aging requirements.

Bonded Bourbon among other regs has to be aged 4 years, no more no less.

Straight has to be at least 2 years aged, most are 4 years.

Unaged distilant is becoming popular with the whiskey demand. Kind of like the 70s in reverse.

In the 70s everyone wanted white liquor. Then Bourbon came back. Now, Bourbon demand has risen all tides.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a metal shop + several years ago the guy working for me to build a still. Well, I had sheets of copper + lead-free solder so I told him to go ahead on his own time + not on my property. He did + using fermented peaches he made a clear, very smooth liquor that I assume was 160 proof. I KNOW that it burned blue. If you were to take a sip, you'd better be already sitting down. He died 13 years ago or so + the still disappeared shortly thereafter. There are now several bourbon distilleries in the central Texas area.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote