WALTER'S OWN

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Walter's Own General Discussions    "The Lost Battalion" - 1919 silent movie with many survivors in cast

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Lost Battalion" - 1919 silent movie with many survivors in cast
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Rather than the Television movie, "The Lost Battalion," I am trying to find where to download this most unusual docudrama (before there were docudramas).

There was an incident in World War I where an AEF battalion of the 77th Infantry Division became surrounded by the German Army for almost a week. When the Americans were relieved in early October 1918, the battalion's casualties were about 60 percent. Three of the survivors were awarded the Medal of Honor by Congress.

Okay, to my query. There was a movie made about this incident in 1919. Many of the cast had been members of the battalion and portrayed themselves. I have found references to this movie, but I cannot find any source from which I can download it.

Can anyone help me out?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My 1st thought would be to check with Kino Louber,they carry a lot of films of that era.I will try to find an old catalouge + pass the addy on to you.Also get listings from International films that carry a lot of previously banned movies (primarily nazi era propaganda films)but others as well. If you do find anything out,please post as I for one would be interested in a copy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A&E made a modern re-imaging of the event in the titular 2001 film, The Lost Battalion. The battalion was again memorialized by the Swedish heavy metal band Sabaton in the song, "The Lost Battalion," the first single off of their 2016 album The Last Stand.

The MOH awardees were all officers.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In this case perhaps, but over the years there was a plethora of NCO's receiving the decoration.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought originally the MOH was only given to non-officers . If so when did that change to include officers ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Originally in the 1862 authorization, it was to be for NCOs only. That was changed in 1915.

AFA my statement above that they were all officers, it was a comment on the CYA system of all bureaucracies. In fact, the "lost battalion" was lost because they far exceeded their "support" on both flanks and in short order were surrounded by Germans. They held and of the 500 men in the initial attack, 194 were rescued unhurt. The rest were dead, missing, or wounded.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all of Col. Coopers books but I think it is in "Fireworks" that he tells the story of Hanneken receiving the MOH after his business in the 'banana wars' in Haiti using a 1911.Another great story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am correct. I checked my book. It is listed as the short story "Get Charlamagne".