New
Find
Notify
Tools

Combat optics on dangerous game rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just wondering why this doesn't happen. I suspect the answer is tradition.
But optics like the aimpoint are designed to be the absolutely fastest way to put bullets on target in close quarters against an opponent who is actively hunting and trying to kill you. If there was anything better, people would be using it.
We do some some training here for people who go to dangerous places. The aimpoint is the preferred sight when the stakes are extremely high. The dot can be set very bright and it works well in full sun. Or it can be set lower(smaller) for more precision work. Durable enough to do fine being thrown on the concrete and such. And batteries last such an incredibly long time there isn't even any reason to turn off the sight.

Thoughts?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably tradition; but there is some chat about mounting red dots etc on double rifles so it may be just one of those things.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
"Combat" style optics are and have been used on DG rifles for many years now. In my own case, I have mounted such optics on large bore firearms (handguns, bolt rifles and double rifles) and used them all in Africa for over a decade.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know people were doing that.
What have you learned with the optics and dangerous game rifles? I've thought about doing the same, still not sure though.

quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
"Combat" style optics are and have been used on DG rifles for many years now. In my own case, I have mounted such optics on large bore firearms (handguns, bolt rifles and double rifles) and used them all in Africa for over a decade.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well do they hold up on the big bores?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So when is the battery on your optic sight going to fail? Hint: remember Murphy's Law. That is why you NEVER rely on ANY battery powered device to save your bacon, be it mounted on a rifle or pistol. Gimmicks can get you killed....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootshellz - I resemble the remark about "Murphy's Law". I've been a Murphy now for 70 years. Nothing bad has ever happened to me except for one airplane crash (Broken rod in engine), two replaced knees, one rebuilt shoulder, three motorcycle wrecks, four wives (not all at the same time), one upside down car wreck. One engine fire, and… well, I could go on.

But …as far as powered optics go; I have a red dot on my S&W 500. I've used to to take pigs, a stink bull giraffe, and just recently, a lion. Never had a bit of trouble. The battery will last forever, so I change it at the start of the hunt, and then half way through. Worked a treat.

Tom Murphy (proud victim of Murphy's Law.)

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
So when is the battery on your optic sight going to fail? Hint: remember Murphy's Law. That is why you NEVER rely on ANY battery powered device to save your bacon, be it mounted on a rifle or pistol. Gimmicks can get you killed....

Possibly the silliest statement ever made, and it is similar to what was said about scopes on hunting rifles 60-70 years ago.

The U.S. military has been using battery operated optics and lasers successfully under combat conditions for 30-40 years. I have been using them for 35 years. Do batteries die? Yes. Are you allowed to carry a spare? Yes. Do many modern battery powered optics have low battery indicators? Yes. Do battery powered optics work with dead batteries? Yes.

So, is there a problem? No.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when do battery powered optics work with dead batteries? THAT was the silliest statement ever made about anything. Does your logic have a problem? YES!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
by practical definition, they are on dangerous game rifles.

Inertia would be my guess for the slow transition. That, and they look ugly with blued steel and fine walnut.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
Since when do battery powered optics work with dead batteries? THAT was the silliest statement ever made about anything. Does your logic have a problem? YES!

I am not the one with a problem. When the battery is dead, the reticle appears black, just like a non-illuminated reticle. Eeker

You really have no idea WTF you're talking about and no experience with battery powered optics, so why engage? You are really removing any doubt of your total lack of understanding of the concept. homer

I notice on another thread you also dislike lasers on firearms. So here's a tip, don't buy either and leave those that feel they are worthwhile, including the U.S. military and virtually every law enforcement agency, to do as they see fit. It just might be they know more than you. diggin

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You really have no idea WTF you're talking about and no experience with battery powered optics, so why engage? You are really removing any doubt of your total lack of understanding of the concept.

That hasn't stopped him until now. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote