Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite movie genre?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
As I said before a good comedy with some serious adventure; Hatari, God's Must be Crazy, Crocodile Dundee, The Mummy, quite a few.

There is enough drama in my life to enjoy that.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Favorite a good Western: The Western never really died. The genre simply morphed into the cop films of the 70s thru 90s. Assault on Precent 13 is a remake of Rio Bravo. Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry even with Western traditional ending showdowns. The lawman with big iron brining real justice to lawless towns. No Country for Old Men and Hell and High Water. I could write pages comparing Westerns to The God Father. Then there is Giant.

WWII docu drama: Patton, Rommel, Bridge Too Far, Longest Day, The Man who Never Was

Noir: on my observation Noir has been replaced with psychological thrillers like Silence of the Lambs and Gone Baby.

Drama and Historical Drama: Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Last of the Mohicans (Michael Mann), King if Heaven Director’s Cut.

Films like; I Never Sang for My Father and In the Heat of the Night.

Japanese Samurai Westerns, Samurai Shakespeare

Dark Comedies: Dr. Strange Love or How I Learned to Love the Bomb and Stop Worrying.

Musicals: Very Few.

Regular Comedy: The post 2006 stuff really is bad. All profane and bad nudity.

I really do not think in terms of genre, but the film itself.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I still like a good Western. Hard to beat Tom Selleck in Quigly or Monte Walsh. I like the old comedies, the new ones don't work for me. Yeah I really liked Dr. Strangelove. It was so apropos for us at the time. I read recently + never recalled it at all that he actor Sterling Haydon who played Gen. Jack Ripper in Strangelove was also the corrupt cop in "The Godfather". I never recognized him.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh + let us not forget any of John Milius's films, my favorite being "The Wind + The Lion."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wind and the Lion is my favorite Millus film. There is an excellent documentary on Millus on Amazon Prime. All fans of film need to see it.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. That is one of Hollywood's great films (albeit quite inaccurate in truth) The real Pedadagarios was a 67-year-old male diplomat, not Candice Bergan, however, Roosevelts "Gunboat policy" was right on the mark. Although it was a great movie altogether I think that my favorite scene was when the Marines marched in dbl. step top the place + the order was given, "Hostiles to the Right!" And then the slaughter of the palace. I suppose my preferences in this film echos my thoughts on when it was nice to have a President with balls, knowing we were a world power + acting like it. Sorry for my soap box. Enjoy the movie, it is one of the best.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I personally like movies that are based, whether in whole or in part, on a TRUE story, and bring to me inspiration, or awake some sense of truth, justice, conviction, hope, hard sought victory, against all odds, persistence, follow your dreams, compassion and/or courage in some way. Ones like the following: Rain Man, The Blind Side, All the President's Men, 300, The King's Speech, Walk the Line, Papillon, Out of Africa, The Revenant, A Beautiful Mind, The Right Stuff, Silkwood, Amadeus, Lean On Me, Alive, Cool Runnings, Braveheart, The Ghost and the Darkness, Prefontaine, Beckett, Zulu, The Agony and the Ecstacy, In Cold Blood, Patton, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Battle of the Bulge, Brian's Song, Gandhi, McArthur, Mutiny On the Bounty, Boys Town, Sergeant York, Tombstone, Birdman of Alcatraz, The Longest Day, The Great Escape (yea Steve McQueen), Schlinder's List, Apollo 13, Erin Brockovich, Secretariat, Hidalgo, Eight Below, Diary of Ann Frank, Lawrence of Arabia, American Sniper, Spartacus, Something of Value, Cleopatra, Hidden Figures, Amazing Grace, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Enemy at the Gates, The Passion of the Christ, Troy, Coach Carter, Munich, The Greatest Showman, 7 Days at Entebbe, 12 Strong, The Last King of Scotland, Flags of Our Fathers, Breach, Invictus, Jeremiah Johnson, Zero Dark Thirty, Everest, Captain Phillips, Unbroken, McFarland, USA, 13 Hours, Sully, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Mule, Hotel Mumbai, 1917, The Last Full Measure, Richard Jewell, Rudy, We Are Marshall!, 42, and the Green Book, among others. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great list. I loved 300 as I have been a fan of the battle at Thermopylae all my life. I have yet to see 1917 but now that I have ROKU it's on my list. Zulu was great too, I have always been a Michael Caine fan which brings to mind another great one "The Man Who Would Be King". Caine + Connery were PERFECT for their roles in Kipling's classic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, different periods have had me preferring different genres. Lately it has been action movies. This has resulted in an incredibly diverse collection of movies ranging from THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI to L.A. STORY.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
over the last 20 years I've seen 4 of the oscar winners that's not saying much for h'wood.

Michael Caine - Harry Palmer + 4th protocol + blue Ice

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
over the last 20 years I've seen 4 of the oscar winners that's not saying much for h'wood.

Michael Caine - Harry Palmer + 4th protocol + blue Ice

I only recognize Michael Cain. He did (I think recently) a movie called HARRY BROWN that I liked. I don't know that it was Oscar material, though.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Favorite a good Western: The Western never really died. The genre simply morphed into the cop films of the 70s thru 90s. Assault on Precent 13 is a remake of Rio Bravo. Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry even with Western traditional ending showdowns. The lawman with big iron brining real justice to lawless towns. No Country for Old Men and Hell and High Water. I could write pages comparing Westerns to The God Father. Then there is Giant.

WWII docu drama: Patton, Rommel, Bridge Too Far, Longest Day, The Man who Never Was

Noir: on my observation Noir has been replaced with psychological thrillers like Silence of the Lambs and Gone Baby.

Drama and Historical Drama: Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Last of the Mohicans (Michael Mann), King if Heaven Director’s Cut.

Films like; I Never Sang for My Father and In the Heat of the Night.

Japanese Samurai Westerns, Samurai Shakespeare

Dark Comedies: Dr. Strange Love or How I Learned to Love the Bomb and Stop Worrying.

Musicals: Very Few.

Regular Comedy: The post 2006 stuff really is bad. All profane and bad nudity.

I really do not think in terms of genre, but the film itself.

I actually like Musicals. But then again, I own Blasers.

In the 80's and 90's an R rated movie usually got you a 4 -8 second shot of some gals bush. And you got a shot or two boobs at PG-13.

So things have changed.

Today it can be rated G and two dudes can make out on it.

Netflix is the worst for pushing the gay paradigm.

We cancelled our subscription because I don't need to explain that to a 4 year old.

In about 6 or 8 years when she ask me about it we can talk. But I don't need it paraded in front of me all the time.

There is enough drama in life, I don't need drama, thirillers or horror in my life.

I like war movies, but unless they are heavily sci-fi after 3 tours in Afghanistan, 2 in Djibouti (flying Somalia missions) and a couple in Iraq. I don't have any need to watch war films. Unless they are so satirical or comedic to push through it.

Range 15 is the funniest bullshit movie to come down the line. https://www.amazon.com/Range-1...t-Best/dp/B01J741CII

I am a big fan of the website Veteran TV.
It is a veteran comedy channel and is dirty as can be but awesome. https://www.veterantv.tv/?gcli...rEAAYASAAEgKUpPD_BwE

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last of the Mohicans

Loved Daniel Day-Lewis, Russel Means and especially Wes Studi (Magua) in that one. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked Daniel Day-Lewis in the film "The ..... lightness of Being" I can't remember the 2nd word as I saw this many years ago. But it costarred Juliette Binoche who I really like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unbearable was the word. "The Unbearable Lightness of Being".

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
1. Westerns
2. War movies
3. Action movies

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I personally like movies that are based, whether in whole or in part, on a TRUE story, and bring to me inspiration, or awake some sense of truth, justice, conviction, hope, hard sought victory, against all odds, persistence, follow your dreams, compassion and/or courage in some way. Ones like the following: Rain Man, The Blind Side, All the President's Men, 300, The King's Speech, Walk the Line, Papillon, Out of Africa, The Revenant, A Beautiful Mind, The Right Stuff, Silkwood, Amadeus, Lean On Me, Alive, Cool Runnings, Braveheart, The Ghost and the Darkness, Prefontaine, Beckett, Zulu, The Agony and the Ecstacy, In Cold Blood, Patton, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Battle of the Bulge, Brian's Song, Gandhi, McArthur, Mutiny On the Bounty, Boys Town, Sergeant York, Tombstone, Birdman of Alcatraz, The Longest Day, The Great Escape (yea Steve McQueen), Schlinder's List, Apollo 13, Erin Brockovich, Secretariat, Hidalgo, Eight Below, Diary of Ann Frank, Lawrence of Arabia, American Sniper, Spartacus, Something of Value, Cleopatra, Hidden Figures, Amazing Grace, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Enemy at the Gates, The Passion of the Christ, Troy, Coach Carter, Munich, The Greatest Showman, 7 Days at Entebbe, 12 Strong, The Last King of Scotland, Flags of Our Fathers, Breach, Invictus, Jeremiah Johnson, Zero Dark Thirty, Everest, Captain Phillips, Unbroken, McFarland, USA, 13 Hours, Sully, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Mule, Hotel Mumbai, 1917, The Last Full Measure, Richard Jewell, Rudy, We Are Marshall!, 42, and the Green Book, among others. Big Grin

Oh, gosh...

By rights, I should be liking fact-based movies too. I love movies, and I love history, which started by watching historical movies, mostly war films. Nowadays however, when I hear "based on actual events", I cringe. Movies, especially Hollywood movies, that are supposedly fact-based are generally long on base and short on fact. The problem isn't that I'm a stickler for historical details. When Sergeant York comes on, I don't bitch at the screen because Cooper was far to old to be drafted in WWI, or that his accent is cartoonish, or that he's using a Springfield and a Luger instead of an Enfield and a .45 Auto; the spirit of the story is still correct. But when there's outright falsehoods, particularly relating to character of actual persons, it can permanently distort history over time (like the Bounty story, as an example). The problem is that in this modern world, when no one under retirement age will ever crack a book and damned few will watch accurate documentaries on historical events, kids nowadays will look at movies like The Right Stuff or Hidalgo and accept that as the real story and never find out the truth. And then the lie lives on as fact.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well I know. I was always the one who would sound off about "that wasn't invented yet, they didn't use that gun in that battle, ad nauseum" to everyone's disgust. They didn't know or care + didn't want to. So I finally shut up about historical inaccuracies. I agree with our closing comment as well. My concern for years has been the rewriting of the history books for the schools. History may not be pretty but it needs to be recorded accurately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally like movies that are based, whether in whole or in part, on a TRUE story, and bring to me inspiration, or awake some sense of truth, justice, conviction, hope, hard sought victory, against all odds, persistence, follow your dreams, compassion and/or courage in some way.

Note that I said 'in whole or in part'. I realized long ago that every 'True" movie contained embellishment, some historical inaccuracies or even some added fiction (or all of them), but that doesn't reduce my love for 'True' movies. If you based a 'True' movie on just the bare facts and made it historically accurate without some embellishment to keep it interesting, you'd lose your shirt at the box office, and might as well make your movies only for PBS. Yes, you're right about reading books and Lord knows that I have an extremely large library and am an avid reader-strange in this day and age-but even books contain historical inaccuracies and at times embellishment and even some fiction, as well as the biases and prejudices of the author/authors. Once again, movies that inspire, or awake some sense of truth, justice, conviction, hope, hard sought victory, against all odds, persistence, follow your dreams, compassion and/or courage in some way are the movies that I enjoy the very most, because those are the types of movies that uplift and motivate me in some way. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
Last of the Mohicans

Loved Daniel Day-Lewis, Russel Means and especially Wes Studi (Magua) in that one. tu2

Great movie, my HS football coach made us watch it every season as a team.
I also loved DDL in There Will Be Blood. Really a good one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read recently that he has retired from acting. Does anyone know any more about this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daniel Day-Lewis did announce in 2016 or 18 after his last film Phantom Thread about a fashion mongul that he was retiring.

He has said this before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks talk about retiring until the thought of the $$$$$$ kicks in, a very motivational force. Hell, it works for me + I'm not even in their price category!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you folks seem to know about movies so maybe you can answer this and tell me if it's the same in your area. Here the cable company shows "Shawshank Redemption" and "A Few Good Men" about twice a month. Do they get a discount or something is the reason they're shown so much and do they show those two frequently in your area?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Movies go through a cycle or at least they did bf streaming.

A film would be licensed to a network. The network would run it, cut up with air time to sell ads. When the license fee was up the film would be shopped to a lower network.

A few years ago you could not turn on AMC wo a commercialied to hell Shawshank Redemption.

Ted Turner bought MGM and it’s catalog which included RKO. That is how he launched TCM.

Recently, TCM has started licensing some films from early 90s like silence of the lambs.

This is my basic understanding. Anybody got more?

Of course, Turner was licensing films with ads for TBS. In the day, TBS and then TNT, was Wrestling, Braves, Westerns and Action movies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Movies go through a cycle or at least they did bf streaming.

A film would be licensed to a network. The network would run it, cut up with air time to sell ads. When the license fee was up the film would be shopped to a lower network.

A few years ago you could not turn on AMC wo a commercialied to hell Shawshank Redemption.

Ted Turner bought MGM and it’s catalog which included RKO. That is how he launched TCM.

Recently, TCM has started licensing some films from early 90s like silence of the lambs.

This is my basic understanding. Anybody got more?

Of course, Turner was licensing films with ads for TBS. In the day, TBS and then TNT, was Wrestling, Braves, Westerns and Action movies.

Used to be local stations would buy rerun rights for TV shows too. When I was a kid, Fox hadn’t broke into its own programming yet on a large scale and our local Fox affiliate seemed to be all reruns of In The Heat of The Night and Magnum PI.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The ONLY true movies are TOM & JERRY!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The ONLY true movies are TOM & JERRY!

Tom and Jerry? Lightweights! For keenly profound insight into human behaviour, one must turn to the only true philosopher: BUGS BUNNY! (The authentic original, not the watered-down, modern imitation, sanitized for today's bubble-wrapped children.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kill the Rabbit! Kill the Rabbit! With my spear and magic helmet!

I thought I saw a damn Yankee Cat. I did see a damn Yankee Cat.

The Yankees Colonel! They’re in Chattanooga!

Then of course, any Fog Horn Leg Horn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kill the Rabbit! Kill the Rabbit! With my spear and magic helmet!

I thought I saw a damn Yankee Cat. I did see a damn Yankee Cat.

The Yankees Colonel! They’re in Chattanooga!

Then of course, any Fog Horn Leg Horn.

"Ah say, ah'm pitchin' 'em but you ain't hittin' 'em, son!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I went to see the Austin Lyric Opera performing "The Barber Of Seville". When we got into the 2nd act all these women in the audience started laughing + saying "That's Bugs Bunny!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I admit that it was very funny, however I was reminded of the old phrase, "You can dress them up but you can't take them anywhere."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2

posted Hide Post
Vigilante movies for me. People that don't like vigilante movies should be strung up!! Seriously, I tend to lean toward comedies. Used Cars has been a favorite since I saw it at the movies when it came out.

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you brought this one back up. I love a lot of genre of movies, action, westerns, WW2, war movies in general, comedies. I suppose it would be easier to say what I DON'T like; horror, slashers, porno.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I like Mystery's but that category doesn't exist any more. It got rolled into thrillers. That sucks because now it's mixed in with all the monster / superhero / cartoon crap.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not entirely. We have Roku + get BBC that carries Agatha Christie's "Poirot" series. Those are good mysteries.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TV aside, IMO, the best Sherlock Holmes was played by Jeremy Brett on BBC in the '80s on Masterpiece Theatre. He is dead now of course but the stories/ DVDS are still available. I bought them all + watch them time after time. He really is the quintessential Holmes. Besides, I always appreciate films that adhere to the original story the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides, I always appreciate films that adhere to the original story the best.

Yes indeed! tu2