Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite movie genre?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite will always been Westerns.

Think how hard a Western was to film. Outside (for the most part) you had to get a horse to stop at this spot with blanks and all going off.

Posts: 10609 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just about any movie with Paul Newman in it. He was a genius at choosing great scripts, and could act with the very best of them.

Hud
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Long, Hot Summer
The Hustler
Hombre
Cool Hand Luke
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
The Sting
Slap Shot
Absence of Malice
The Verdict
The Color of Money
Road to Perdition

Probably left out a bunch of other good ones.

Not really a genre, but what an actor.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Odd movies.

Paul
Mothman Prophecies
Office Space
Grosse Point Blank
Smilla's sense of snow
Twelve Monkeys
Manhattan Murder Mystery
So I Married an Ax Murderer
Into the Night
Real Genius
Local Hero
Time Bandits
Family Plot
11 Harrowhouse
Freebie and the Bean
The Hot Rock
Harold and Maude
Dollar$
Little big man
Pulp Fiction
Game Night
Lost in translation
The Big Lebowski
Zero effect

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mike, I agree with you on Paul Newman; one of my favorite actors + a very decent person in real life. I really enjoyed "Hud" as they did a great movie from Larry McMurtry's book "Horseman Pass By", that was true to the Wichita Falls area of north Texas where I grew up.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Way back machine story.

My buddy was a phone man in NYC for 30 years. He's 86 y/o now.

He got a job to fix Paul Newmans phone. He and his helper show up at the apartment,
they meet Paul and his wife Joanne. The phone was in their office so Joe goes about
his business. Paul disappears and comes back with a 6 pack of cold ones.

He offers Joe and the helper a beer, they both decline. Paul finishes off 4 of the beers. As they are leaving Joanne asked if Paul drank all the beer, they both said they had 1.

Forgot... this was 9:30 in the morning

Joe has stories about Roy Scheider and Candice Bergen, Rodney Dangerfield, Woody and Soon Yi Allen, David Niven and a few more I forgot.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the subjecdt at hand; I do like Westerns, but good ones. Anything Johne Wayne after 1939 "Stagecoach", the early stuff was pap. More current, "The Long Riders", "The Life + Times of Jesse James", "Quigley down under", Gunfight at the O.K. corral, ad nauseum; I think that expresses my tastes. Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Way back machine story.

My buddy was a phone man in NYC for 30 years. He's 86 y/o now.

He got a job to fix Paul Newmans phone. He and his helper show up at the apartment,
they meet Paul and his wife Joanne. The phone was in their office so Joe goes about
his business. Paul disappears and comes back with a 6 pack of cold ones.

He offers Joe and the helper a beer, they both decline. Paul finishes off 4 of the beers. As they are leaving Joanne asked if Paul drank all the beer, they both said they had 1.

Forgot... this was 9:30 in the morning

Joe has stories about Roy Scheider and Candice Bergen, Rodney Dangerfield, Woody and Soon Yi Allen, David Niven and a few more I forgot.

My brother's buddy, who builds movie sets, dated Neman's daughter when he was making a movie up here. Wink I

I've always enjoyed George C. Scott, Patton is a classic, Westerns ? Jeremiah Johnson, on a cold mid winter night.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would kinda get you in the mood, wouldn't it?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As for me and Westerns, anything with John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart in it. I particularly am fond of Rio Bravo and The Searchers, as well as the original True Grit, and Jimmy Stewart in Winchester '73. I also love Open Range, Tombstone, Quigley Down Under, Jeremiah Johnson, the entire Lonesome Dove Series. . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree! Of course growing up in the 50s we were inundated bt the Westerns culture (NOTHING wrong with that). Funny you mentioned Lonesome Dove as I was having a conversation about that movie today + an interview with Diane Lane (the whore who Robert Duval followed) + she said in that rape scene when all those men were standing over her, she said, I know it's just a movie set but I was scared to death. I did love the next scene when 'Gus' cleaned house with his Henry!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot: One of my other western favorites: The Magnificent Seven with Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Eli Wallach. . . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, that was another classic + well done western interpretation of the original " 7 Samurai"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
As for me and Westerns, anything with John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart in it. I particularly am fond of Rio Bravo and The Searchers, as well as the original True Grit, and Jimmy Stewart in Winchester '73. I also love Open Range, Tombstone, Quigley Down Under, Jeremiah Johnson, the entire Lonesome Dove Series. . . . . Big Grin
Let me ad mine: The Searchers*, The Cowboys*, Rooster Cogburn*, True Grit (the original)*, Tombstone*, Lonesome Dove*, Monte Hall, Will Penny, Death Sentence, Unforgiven, Papillon, Out of Africa, The Revenant, , Braveheart, Gandhi, Mutiny On the Bounty, The Great Escape, , Hidalgo, , Enemy at the Gates, , Jeremiah Johnson, A River Runs Through It, Meet Joe Black, Legends of The Fall, The African Queen,

+Watched many times

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote