Find
Notify
Tools

How Terrible!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Traffic jam on Mount Everest!

I Romberg reading about a New York socialite, who was basically carried to the top!

Very sad indeed!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's called Everest by the Yak route. Smiler If you read Krakauer's Into Thin Air, pushing the envelope and the traffic jam at the summit , contributed greatly to that disaster. Sandy Pitman was the lady.

https://www.vanityfair.com/cul...ittman-mount-everest
Buddy of mine was the first Canadian to reach the top. That was before commercial expeditions and two climbers died. Lot of money to be made giving inspirational speeches if you survive.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago I was seeing a doc
that had been up there about 20 yrs
before.
He said the trash and empty oxygen bottles
along the trail was disgusting.
Can't imagine it improving any by now.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
About 15 years ago I was seeing a doc
that had been up there about 20 yrs
before.
He said the trash and empty oxygen bottles
along the trail was disgusting.
Can't imagine it improving any by now.

George

They actually step over or go around bodies to get to the summit. Fall by the way ? Don't expect anyone to come to your assistance.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There was a big hoopla about Japanese climbers passing a dying man years ago, and they did not offer any help.

Cannot blame them.

One can lose his life if he stays up any longer than absolutely necessary.

What I find rather sad is the fact that getting to the top of Everest has become the holy grail for those who want to brag about it.

Many are nothing but weekend climbers.

They have caused the prices to go through the roof, so many real climbers are unable to afford it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That could apply to many other ventures as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Dr. Beck Weathers from Dallas from “Into Thin Air” has an amazing story. I don’t get the fascination, but many find thrills in many ways. I suppose that’s why we have race car drivers and such. I suppose up close elephant hunting could be classified as such.

Hell, I risk my life just gettin in the highway at times.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I honestly can’t tell what is going on up there. IS this the problem:

A lot of folks are going up and down Everest at the same time. You only have a small window to get up and down because of oxygen supply being used in personal tanks, and exposure. This high concentration of climbers going up and coming down at same time has caused a log jam were folks are dying due to exposure, altitude sickness, and oxygen issues.

Is this a correct summation of the crisis?

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Dr. Beck Weathers from Dallas from “Into Thin Air” has an amazing story. I don’t get the fascination, but many find thrills in many ways. I suppose that’s why we have race car drivers and such. I suppose up close elephant hunting could be classified as such.

A surgeon who lost his fingers, as I recall, gotta wonder Confused

Grizz

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Clear thinking, wasn't it?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

A surgeon who lost his fingers, as I recall, gotta wonder Confused

Grizz

Indeed. He then retrained to become a pathologist.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:

Buddy of mine was the first Canadian to reach the top. That was before commercial expeditions and two climbers died. Lot of money to be made giving inspirational speeches if you survive.
Grizz

Reminded me of this image:

And of course the bigger picture:

The fatality rate is 6.5% for Everest climbers, BTW.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote