New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found out while watching Fox news while they were interviewing a retired New York detective who stated (with a straight face) that if you shoot a deer with an AR you will not be able to eat it. He would not elaborate further. So hunters should not use them. Another highly informed emotional response from the experts.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
More media farce. I remember a few years ago during one of the "assault weapon" bans that the Lois Lamebrain reporter was talking about semi-autos but the backdrop screen was showing guys shooting full autos. They were deliberately misconstruing John Q. Citizen who knows nothing of the subject.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sad to see such bullshit being promulgated on the news. Most of it is not negligent news reporting, but intentional, as are those being interviewed with their false ideas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're damned right it is intentional. This might be beating a dead horse but using the media to promote fake news to support a political agenda is dirty pool to say the least.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
You're damned right it is intentional. This might be beating a dead horse but using the media to promote fake news to support a political agenda is dirty pool to say the least.

sounds to me like its just politics as usual

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is John, but it damn sure doesn't make it right or excusable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sigh...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of these media firearm experts know nothing about firearms!!!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Most cops don't either, can't even shoot worth beans. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Most cops don't either, can't even shoot worth beans. Big Grin

Grizz

Agreed.

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember fox news back when the dc sniper thing was happening long before the perps were caught. The talking heads were talking about the weapon being used. They described it as a high caliber weapon and the hosts repeated the phrase while nodding their heads knowingly. News media try to look knowledgeable when they haven't a clue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I am reminded of a quote by British actor/comedian Stephen Fry, "Many people would no more think of entering journalism than the sewage business, which at least does us some good."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact, the .223 is very underpowered for deer sized animals, as well as humans in my opinion. The military adopted that rifle to save weight on ammo over the 7.62 Nato. It clearly does that, but the 7.62 is a much more effective cartridge. Now, they have reconsidered and are adopting a compromise 6.8 mm cartridge.

But back to deer, my father is an avid coyote hunter and he uses AR's in various calibers, including the standard 5.56 mm Nato. He's not much interested in deer but shoots one now and then for the pot. Every one I've ever seen him shoot with an AR was hit right in the white patch on the front of their throat and dropped in their tracks. They were perfectly edible.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, shot placement is paramount anyway, + a 223 will do for central Tx. whitetails. The 6.8 that is being considered is roughly equivalent to a 270 dia. + has great revues on its long range performance. Kinda funny in a roundabout way was that Eugene Stoner had something comparable in mind when he designed the AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lavaca where else would they drop except in their tracks??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, the redundancy kinda reminds me of the times of misery while serving at a place called Bliss.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Every police shooting seems to involve the firing of dozens of rounds, few if any of which hit the assailant.

Someone should have asked this "detective" how many shots has he fired in the line of duty, and with what firearms, and how many of them hit the target?

Or maybe more to the point, how many deer has he killed, with all of the follow ups noted above?

Buffoons like this should not be allowed to make or influence public policy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote