WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did knickerbockers serve a purpose in Great Britain?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been viewing several pre-World War II and wartime British motion pictures that were consistent with their period of creation. Knickerbocker pants are worn by a surprisingly large number of men. While most instances occur among those pursuing sport, some urban men who are not at work are wearing this pant style, best known in the United States as what professional baseball players wear during the contests.

Is this pant style only a fashion statement? If it has a purpose beyond fashion, please describe what this purpose is.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the fashion statement (although anything is possible w/the Brits)but had a friend from college that played Rugby in Britain + the ease of movement was extrardinary.As the Scotsman said aboot the qualities of a Kilt; Invaluable with either fornication or diarehha.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pants or a Class Smiler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker_Club

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus Two's or Plus Four's. If it rains the water collects in the fold that is below the knee so the legs of the wearer keep dry.

Also if walking through heather or crops there's no trouser legs to get wet. Just your socks. So at lunchtime you just put on a dry pair of socks and carry on shooting.

They were used as they were practical.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Kilt; Invaluable with either fornication or diarehha.

That would make a GREAT message on a Tee Shirt!!!

A Kilt, Man's Best Option For Fornication Or Diarrhea!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You know what Randle,I like that idea. I have a connection w/ the kid who married my ex daughter in law that is in the T shirt printing business,he did my 'Mauser' ones + the 'Black Rifles Matter' ones. I can have him make a run. Are you interested in one? I have to have a minimum order of 10 T shirts to justify the ink set up.I really like that idea.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
The pants are knickers. A Knickerbocker (as in the New York Knicks) is a Dutch immigrant.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have a pair in corduroy, and they are as comfortable to wear as my 18th-century knee breeches, but not as comfortable as a kilt.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
.As the Scotsman said aboot the qualities of a Kilt; Invaluable with either fornication or diarehha.

Actually Kilts were invented because sheep can hear zippers.
animal

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote