New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle in "Father Goose" ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the Academy Award winning "Father Goose" (Cary Grant, Leslie Caron - 1965), Grant is a Coast Watcher in an island near New Guinea in 1942. He has been issued a civilian sporting rifle. The rifle appears to be a superb Mauser sporting rifle with square bridge, possibly double square bridge action, butter knife handle, double set triggers, and schnabble foreend.

Can anyone describe the rifle more precisely because I am not confident of my details. If possible, please identify the maker

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen that movie in decades so don't remember much. I may need to watch it again just to verify the rifle. Hey, there are worse reasons to watch a movie. Smiler

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Father Goose

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/...ation-help-requested

CZ BRNO 21

schnabble and butterknife bolt and pancake cheekpiece

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the best features of the Mannlicher.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
An interesting website is www.imfdb.org. This site is loaded with movie and television firearm info. Check it out.

I edited this post to correct the wrong address.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I clicked on it + it came up as an unsafe site. No worries really, if they were prevalent with Hollywood firearms 'info', there was most likely nothing true there. Sorry RCG, not an insult to you, only Hollywood. That being said, it would be fun to watch just because.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy, sorry about that. It should be www.imfdb.org not {.com}. My entry error.

Please try again. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the same vein of that rifle, I would like to share a Hemingway passage from "Islands In The Stream", the Bimini section P. 82. In which he gives the description of the "Little Mannlicher with the 18" barrel that they weren't allowed to sell anymore". Truly one classic paragraph. I understand that some might not own a copy (inexcusable) but with google, pulling it up should be a breeze.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
RCG

Would you go back and edit the first hyperlink.
Not sure what it is, but I get a "security risk" when I went there before reading on down and getting the correct address.
Might solve someone having some sort of issue.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion TC. I edited the original post to show the correct address. Thanks.